Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to get weld splatter off glass ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Toqwik

Toqwik

Somehow I got welding splatter on my new windshield. Is there any way to fix it? can you polish it out, or just deal with it? Fido

2. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Sorry buddy, once it's there,it stays! You might polish out some of it,with very fine steel wool. Good luck. And remember guys, protect your glass,BEFORE you weld or grind near it!!:( Sparky

Dino 64 likes this.
  3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Easy fix. drive over to your favorite glass shop, give them a few hundred bucks, they put in new glass, it's almost like it didn't happpen.;) :cool:

Frank

4. [size=+2]Basically your windshield is pitted for good.

Now you can take a razor blade and go back and forth to remove the small metal beads. Be sure to use one side only of the razor blade. This is because if you use the other side it can scratch the glass even more.

You could try some 0000 steel wool.

Sorry to hear it, I hope this helps.

Reverend Jake
    [/size]

5. skipstitch

skipstitch

6. Hay Dude, your screwed. You can get the weld b-b off but the pit it leaves behind is there for good. Wish I had better news.
    The Wizzard

Dino 64 and Hnstray like this.

7. you are screwed......

Dino 64 likes this.
  8. dadseh

dadseh

What he said.... basically your windscreen is F U K T .
    Guys, also remember if you use an angle grinder in the viscinity of glass it does the same thing. Molten sparks on glass = pitting. I hang a simple bed sheet in front of my car in the shed to stop stray sparks from grinder hitting the ride. Sparks will carry 15-20 feet to damage glass / paint.

9. lowandgold59

lowandgold59

10. Noname38

Noname38

Don't listen to these guys... they're just tryin to get you down.... Wet sand it then spray some clear on it....

11. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

yeah that oughta work FABULOUSLY!! :rolleyes:

i'm afraid i have'nt come up with any way to fix this problem. i've done it before but i learned my leason. i always hang a couple layers of masking paper over any glass or some times i use an old canvas drop cloth or welding coat. even if a spark burns through it'll likely be too cold to hurt the glass by then. sorry about your luck. you might call a glass shop though just to see if they have come out with some miracle cure.

12. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

If you find the miracle cure, be sure to let us know.
    We've all done this at one time or another!

13. krooser

krooser

ALWAYS remember to cover your RADIATOR, too, when you are welding/cutting. Those hot chunks of metal LOVE to burn holes in those fragile copper tubes....

14. madgrinder

madgrinder

badge of honor... wear it proudly.

nochop likes this.
  15. 3M makes a spark resistant paper that is sticky on one side. It works good against grinding sparks, don't know about welding though. I wouldn't use just any old blanket to shield weld spatter, I've done it before and the results could be worse than a ruined windshield. Welding blanket or something non flammable preffered.

16. 1lowtrk

1lowtrk

I just did the same thing to my door glass. rolled them down and figured they'd be ok but those damn little molten balls found ther way to the glass anyway.

nochop likes this.
  17. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

I had the same problem, used liquid dish washing detergent along with Jake's idea; didn't get rid of the pits, but window was sure clean!

And use NEW razor blades!!

clem likes this.
  18. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

Shave off the splatter, if pits left are shallow, and I mean shallow wet sand with 2000 grit then buff with a muslin buff and a good calcined alumina at around 600 rpm using an 8 inch buff.
    You might be lucky.
    If you buff to fast you'll generate heat and crack it, or scratch it more with the buff.
    Chances are the pits will be too deep.
    If you find after buffing that it's a little hazy get either a liquid glass type polish and apply a little of that.
    Best of luck.
    It's job to get it right, but it can be done if pits are shallow.

19. bbo

bbo
    from Wylie, Tx

remove and replace glass. only way. I have done that before it sucked because I know better. You are lucky the weld splatter can burst the glass.

If you are going to do a lot of welding and grinding then use welding blankets and welding paper. The paper is adhesive back(tacky) and is great for indirect protection. Use a thick welding blacket for immediate protection.

Glass pits and interiors burn fast.

20. Toqwik

Toqwik

what sucks is I was welding on the back quarter, never would have dreamed that splatter would make it that far.....I am so pissed....Fido

21. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Dang...almost 14 years old.

36-3window and Bandit Billy like this.
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since the resurrection has occurred I will pay my respects. It is a bit OT (a bit???:eek:) but T-Top panels on T?A's are often removed and abused leaving deep scratches and basically look fugly. I had a guy at a glass shop sand and polish a couple of sets of fisher panels and they turned out wicked nice. Cant get too close the frame and you could actually see the ridge a bit were he had to let off as he got close to the frame but well worth the couple hundred I paid him.

As for windshields, park the car near the driving range, call your insurance company.

LBCD, clem and Truck64 like this.
  23. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Sandblasting will mess up glass too. Masking tape or paper won't save it, you need blankets or something thick. Anyone know any good method of masking glass when sandblasting nearby?

25. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

I had a wiper arc polished out of one of my windshields by a pro glass shop. The owner warned me it would make it smooth, but would leave a blemish that looked like looking through a film, and U wouldn't like it.
    He was right, came out horse shit, I installed a new one two days later.
    Weld splatter on glass is forever.

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Use self adhesive plastic shelf liner on the glass if you can't remove it. I get the white stuff but you can get flowers if your so inclined ;)

Rusty O'Toole likes this.
  27. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Sorry for your problems. I to have had this problem many years ago and while it can't be cured I did use a really razor sharp stainless scraper and removed some of the chunks which left what looks like a small stone hit. Finally got fed up and replaced the glass.

28. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Learn to tig weld, problem solved. :)

Surf City and nochop like this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

To quote our Brit friends "facking brilliant"!