Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Scratch built Crosley Special

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1952B3b23, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Super cool design and fantastic engine. Subscribed

loudbang and 1952B3b23 like this.
  2. It has. I’ve seen my friend Bob drive it twice before. It sounds really cool.

Instagram: @39_deluxe

3. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Any audio/video available? Hopefully more than 15 or 20 seconds!!

loudbang likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is just flat too cool, I can just imagine the hours and thinking outside the box it took to carry off.
    Add me to the list of those who sure would like to see/hear a video of it running though.

chryslerfan55, Hnstray and loudbang like this.
  5. I don’t have video of it running. But once the body is done we will get it running and I’ll take video of it driving around.

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Projects like this are 'humbling' to folks 'building' with available pieces from previously manufactured automobiles.
    This is 'a step further'...maybe 'one step beyond'.
    See? Even the most preposterous may just be witnessed one day...

chryslerfan55, slv63, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  7. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

A work of mechanical art , I wanna drive it.

brad2v, 1952B3b23 and loudbang like this.
  8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I like these threads, they are the furthest thing from anything I am building, but I learn tons and get a lot of ideas...keep ‘em coming my build depends on it. Cheers All, Nochop

9. This project is humbling to me as well. Every time I work on this thing I become more and more impressed by Bobs work. Sometimes I’ll tell him his mechanical work is amazing and how I hope to one day have as much skill as he does. He just laughs at me and says, “it’s not amazing, you can do it too”. To him it’s not a huge deal. He just “does” this type of stuff.

Thanks for all the interest in this. It’s very motivating.

-Chris

10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Was there some particular reason he chose two Crosley engines? A displacement limit? He had them? Needed a challenge?

hillbilly and loudbang like this.
  11. ^^Crosleys are cheaper than Offys?

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The first paragraph of the first post says ‘he took his inspiration from the Masaerati......”
    Racing cars in Europe frequently competed with small displacement engines in relatively lightweight cars. Alfa Romeo is a particularly good example. Engines in the range of 1500 thru 1900 cc, and some were straight eights......similar to what the builder has created from an engine family (Crosley) that shared several mechanical characteristics with the ‘inspiration’ engines but for cylinder count and displacement. Problem solved!

13. manyolcars

manyolcars

V12 from two 8 cylinder engines? What did he do? Cut off 4 cylinders?

chryslerfan55, rpm56 and loudbang like this.
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Presumably, yes,.....two from each......the back two from one engine and the front two from another...provides block mateing in the water jacket areas and simplifies the obstacles complete blocks would have....unless you just wanted to connect two engines as some have done.....but that misses the point of the builder.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  15. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Maybe you're aware of them - the main source for Crosley parts is sevicemotors.net. Alternately, there is a Crosley group in Yahoo; you could send an inquiry to them. Or let me know, if you'ld like me to help you make contact. My understanding is that the engines were made by a well-known mfr that's still in business (Waukesha?), but they deny it!

16. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the reply. Contacted Service Motors. They do very little, almost no pre-war stuff. Will try the Crosley group. And yes the tag on the block says "Waukesha". Thanks again, Gene.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  17. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Yes, the power & torque of each 4 cylinder section is additive, as has been mentioned. As a consequence, the rearward engine's crankshaft has to be capable of transferring the additional power. Stock Crosleys produce 26.5 HP (Crosley buffs are adament about including that .5 decimal); Crosleys modified for racing, which are often run on alcohol and sometimes with superchargers, do produce more than double that, so the stock crank should be OK if not pushed hard. Crosley engines were marketed for transport trailer refrigeration systems, and stationary generators, generally with far stronger forged steel crankshafts. These are a prudent modification if you can find and/or afford one. (Many twin engines dragsters were built with identical tandem engine arrangement, Chevies, Hemis, etc., which I'd guess had forged cranks.)

18. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I looked at this engine some time ago, so my memory may not be correct, and I may be speculating a bit. I believe each engine has stock cam/valve train configuration, i.e., each cam is driven by it's own crank, with no interconnection between cams. Likewise, I believe the blocks and crankcases (separate components on a Crosley) are stock Crosley pieces, probably with some machine work in the area of the crank coupling. The most significant eye deception is the cam cover, which extends over both engines, to create the illusion that it is a straight eight. This is likely a special casting, or may have been fabricated from sections of three aftermarket finned aluminum cam covers. This also functions to align and stiffen the assemblage. The area between crankcases is fairly busy with magneto, coolant piping, and brackets, so you have to look pretty closely to see that there are two engines involved. All in all, a pretty creative masterpiece.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and 1952B3b23 like this.
  19. 41woodie

41woodie

Good grief, I'm having enough trouble trying to help my grandson finish a Pinewood Derby car! If you're as good at building a body as your friend is at building chassis the finished product will be spectacular.

rod1 likes this.
  20. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Another feature that fascinated me when I saw this car - the steering box was a neat aluminum unit, I think from a Fiat 124. The Pitman shaft was extended, to provide in effect "cowl steering". I'd love to get a detailed description of how this was done - would be a good setup for lighter rods. (Probably get criticized for being period-incorrect; groan!)

chryslerfan55, loudbang and 1952B3b23 like this.
  21. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I forgot to mention - I love that riveted gas tank, like I've seen on dozens of vintage sports cars (Ferrari, Maserati, etc.) Have yet to get a good explanation of how they were made leak-proof (no "fuel cells" back then!).

loudbang likes this.
  22. Born_too_late

Born_too_late
    from N. Iowa

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Thought maybe the Crosley community would like to see this...2 Crosley 4 cyl’s mated into a v8 and mounted on a vintage Hiawatha doodlebug scooter. Quite ingenious I do say...this was at the doodlebug reunion this year, Webster City, IA.

23. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Thee ultimate pain machine ^^

loudbang likes this.
  24. Crosleys are 40 Inches of OHC power this is 80 Inches of pretty cool, congratulations its keen.

loudbang likes this.
  25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

44 + 44 = 88 :D

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

I believe the individual rivets were soldered to provide a leak-proof seal. The gas tank, like the rest of the car is spectacular.
    Tom

chryslerfan55, 1952B3b23 and loudbang like this.
  27. I made some progress on the wireform. The nose is about done which means it’s almost time to start roughing out panels. Thanks for looking.

-Chris

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

28. loudbang

loudbang

Is this for a crank start?

1.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Oh man, please say yes!

This build is staggering. Like burn-down-my-shop-and-take-up-knitting staggering! Kudos to the builder.

30. Yes it is!