Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 48 Buick Roadmaster power steering conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tom Whitlock, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Tom Whitlock

Tom Whitlock

Have a 48 Roadmaster and wondering if any of you may know if a 52 or later steering box and pump would work? Or are other options available?
    Has the original straight 8.
    Thanks

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Have you thought about an electric power steering from a modern? Lots of classic car restorers offering that over here. Usually a GM or PSA motor.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Tom Whitlock

Tom Whitlock

Thanks Blackjack, I have not thought about the electric idea as it still is a 6 volt system.

blackjack likes this.
  4. Msgr. Doug Cook

Msgr. Doug Cook

I've seen it adapted to a 50 Buick, if that helps...

5. Tom Whitlock

Tom Whitlock

Hello Doug, that does help...do you know where I can get more info on this? Thanks Tom

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Be sure you have a way to drive the pump if you go this route. The factory PS installs used a double sheave crank pulley/damper and that is not an easy part to find. Also, whether the crank pulley fits may may depend upon which engine(s) , 248 or 320, are involved in the swap.

I do not know as I type this if the crank snout is the same size for both, I am only suggesting this is an area to investigate. Your Roadmaster is a 320....and I would suspect more Roadmasters were fitted with PS than were Supers (248), but even so, a parts car's engine may be long gone. Just something to think about.

It might be feasible to use a '50s GM generator that was fitted with a PS pump as an alternative to the above issue.

Tom Whitlock likes this.
  7. I think this is the reason the electric power steering is so popular. Basically you cut the steering column and fit the electric device. Internal sensors then do the rest. Not heard of a 6 volt converting though.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I wonder if anyone has pictures of this? Or a article about How to do this? I don't have room for a normal ps pump and looking for way to add ps so my 4'10" boss can drive if need be. Thanks in adavance!