Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hot Rod Sketches on an iPad...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Hot Rod Sketches on an iPad...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Latigo, wicarnut, dana barlow and 5 others like this.
  2. He IS quite good with that pen.

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Very cool, I love watching the replay videos to see how people do what they do

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Yep. :) You too Tim !! Awesome.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cool. I wonder how detailed a person could get with that set up.... like Mr. Tillrock who's first name I forget who used to hang out here sometimes who did the incredible pencil drawings

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Insanely detailed

49ratfink likes this.
  8. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

The guy that really impressed me with the way he could create different hot hod styles on an I pad was Johnny Jalopy who I met about 5 or 7 years ago at a car show here on the West Coast of Florida.

His work was simply head shoulders above anyone's work I had ever seen. The details in the drawing were first class.

When I was talking to Johnny Jalopy and admiring his work I remember thinking about the 60's and the great work done by Stanley Mouse and Ed Roth and now I was standing talking to someone who's work reminded me of them.

Stanley Mouse gave up drawing hot rods and air brushing tee shirt when the Grateful Dead saw his art work and hiring him to create almost all of these great album covers they had and then
    I believe he worked for the Beatles and the Rolling Stones doing their album covers also.

The story I heard was the one about Ed Roth being in Michigan and watching Stanley Mouse air brushing monsters images on tee shirts at an art show in a park and then he went back to Calif. and he started doing something very similar to what he saw Stanley Mouse doing with all the Rat Fink stuff.

All of these guys had one thing in common and that was they were truly gifted at their craft.
    Jimbo

Click on the link below to view Johnny Jalopies work.
    https://www.facebook.com/JohnnyJalopyArt/

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is impressive to a guy who can't draw a car from a 3/4 angle to save his soul.
    Looking back I wish I had taken some art classes in high school but art class ran the same time as Advanced Automechanics so I missed out on that.
    My hand isn't steady enough to draw on an Ipad though.

10. See? It's just that easy.

:D

As with most things, people with amazing skills and talent make it look easy... it ain't. I'm fascinated with people that can strip a gesture drawing down to almost nothing and still have it recognizable, proportional, and conveying the intended speed/emotion/style. Awesome work.

11. I bought my 12 year old daughter a second generality IPAD and an Apple pencil for Christmas. What you can do is enlarge the image and then modify the lines. Incredible detail available.

Charlie Stephens

49ratfink likes this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

3F5D6D8B-58E5-4876-9205-4A78BCFFF901.jpeg For example, that’s using pro create on an iPad.
    No I didn’t do it myself.

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Damn, I can just barely surf the web on this iPad! No way I could do anything like that.

15. smarjoram

smarjoram
    from uk

Thanks again for the feature - I've started the day with a big grin on my face having just read all the nice comments. I'm still drawing with traditional media too - but the time-lapse films you get from drawing on the iPad have proved very popular with manufacturers looking for things to spice up their instagram feeds. I've done a fair bit of sketching modern supercars lately (90% of the time I draw from life and their complicated curves make for an interesting drawing challenge) - but it's still the hot rods and vintage cars that I enjoy drawing the most. A highlight last year was an invitation to sketch at the Mint 400 and Sebring - I'll put a few sketches on the Friday Art Show now to make up for my absence.

plan9, Tim and MJW like this.
  16. Latigo

Latigo

Great work! I’m still a pencil and paint guy but getting more interested in the digital. “Old dog, new tricks”