Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Which fuel stabilizer do you use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Jan 8, 2019.

?
  1. Sta-bil

37 vote(s)
    60.7%
  2. Seafoam

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  3. other

10 vote(s)
    16.4%
  1. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used both Star-Tron and Stabil 360. Both work well.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. ....................................Where can you find this stuff?

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  3. Speed~On

Speed~On

I've always used Seafoam, thus I have never had a problem with moisture and it does a great job stabilizing the fuel.

I'm also fortunate to have some great fuel options in my small town. Every station offers ethanol free premium (which is the only fuel I use). One station even has 110 race gas at 6 of thier pumps....which is fun, too!

4. Ethanol sheild.

5. Justice Brothers. They have a booth set up at the "Back To The 50's" show every year. They have a test device stand set up and test 6-8 different stabilizers. Seafoam and Sta-bil one of the worst. I wont use those 2 unless I have to! Just saying!

6. trollst

trollst

Whats fuel stabilizer? Have never used it, for twenty years, I drive my 36 into my parking for the winter garage, fire it up somewhere around xmas and maybe again in march. Never an issue. DSC06522.JPG

7. I have been using Amsoil Fuel Stabilizer, and have been very happy with the results.
    Bob

Texas Webb and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Well, I do not use either of them. My buddy turned me on to what the boating guys use - Yamalube. This stuff keeps the rings free and combats the ethanol in the gas. It works for the boating guys that sit for long periods and it has for me. To be truthful, the longest my roadster ever sat was 6 weeks without starting. I just dump a capful in the tank at every fill up. I buy it on eSlay .....
    650BF777-C380-416A-B242-6DC9937D7598.jpeg

9. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5window and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I use Stabil. I run pure gas in my hot rods and all my small engines, even my farm all tractor. If it sits a week or longer, it only runs pure gas unless I can’t get it. I had filled the Lincoln up the last time I drove it three years ago, I put Stabil in it after it has sat about a month when I figured it might take a while to get it back on the road. I pumped gas out of it all this summer and ran it in my mowers, didn’t have any problems. Wanted to get it pretty low so I could dump some fresh gas in before I restart it.

11. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Av gas LL100

12. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

In many parts of the country you have the problem with very warm day's and temps in the 80' and 90's and then the nights can cool down the between 40 and 60 degrees creating condensation in your fuel tanks.
    You will be driving your car when the motor starts to stumble and feels like it wants to stall which is just water in the gas. I use dry gas all the time here in Florida because the problem is so common.

In the mornings when you look at the condensation dripping off your roof shingles picture something similar on a smaller scale happening in you cars gas tank each day and you will understand why your cars motor might be stumbling.

Also thing about how many guys have cars that they only out drive once in a blue moon to a car show and then wonder why their car is running so rough.
    I use dry gas on a regular basis!
    Jimbo

13. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Speaking theoretically, you know what would work very well? More ethanol.

HC - water - ethanol has a miscibility matrix which varies with temperature. When the proportion of ethanol is lower than around 15% the water miscibility straddles the range of ambient temperatures associated with human habitation. That is, water will separate out at lower ambient temperatures and dissolve at higher ambient temperatures. With no ethanol, the water doesn't dissolve in the first place. With far greater proportions of ethanol, the water stays in solution regardless of ambient temperature. (In fact, ethanol can be an effective fuel dryer in very damp environments. Ethanol doesn't keep absorbing water indefinitely, though – it'll draw about 4% and stop.)

The problem isn't ethanol as such, it's E10.

14. 5window

5window

Where do you buy this stuff?

15. .........See post #39.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  16. 5window

5window

Right. Missed that. Great minds....

17. I've never used a stabilizer.
    Not once.
    Never had a problem.
    20160317_122549.jpg

18. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used the PRI-G as directed and have never had any problems.

Be aware that they also make PRI-D which is specified for diesel engines. It comes is a similar container. I suspect it may not be good for gasoline engines.

19. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Keep in mind stabilizer must be mixed into fresh gasoline, it won't work to try and treat fuel that's already stale/ getting stale. Sta-Bil itself has a shelf life too, they claim it's good for a year after the bottle has been opened.

RidgeRunner likes this.