Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 49 ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by waynegen, Jan 7, 2019.

1. waynegen

waynegen

Just starting a new project. I have been checking out different ways to lower it. Butch's Cool Stuff has 49 lowering kit which replaces a bracket with a couple of aluminum parts. Not sure how it works. Has anyone installed this IMG_0906.jpg kit and will it work with dropped spindles and lower coils?

2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Looks like a nice project. Thoughts on drivetrain ? Mods ?
    I don't have the kit that you're asking about, just Aerostar front coils and blocks in the rear. Sits nice, rides well.

warhorseracing and waynegen like this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

I did the same as Buddy, Aerostar coil springs and blocks in back, gives around a 3" drop, requires shorter shocks, but really cheap and easy. If you search the HAMB for Aerostar springs you'll find the thread detailing the part numbers of the pieces you need. No need for anything beyond that IMO.

4. 1pickup

1pickup

The front lowering kit from Butch's works like this: The A arm has a plate that is riveted to the bottom of it. The spring sits on this plate. Grind the rivets off, put the aluminum spacers between the A arm & the plate, bolt them through the rivet holes, & you have lowered the from suspension.

5. waynegen

waynegen

T

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. waynegen

waynegen

Buddy, thanks. I will be doing a few patch panels, but it’s pretty solid. I would like to keep the flathead and the three on the tree. I just want a nice low cruiser

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another vote for Aerostar springs; you'll get more drop from them than the spacers with stock springs.

8. D type

D type
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kooks like a great project Have fun and be safe

9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

If mine would've had a flattie in it when i bought it, I'd be running it too (probably eventually with a t-5 though). I put the 302 in it, it seemed right.
    Good luck !

chryslerfan55 and waynegen like this.
  10. I installed the lowering kit 20 years ago before I heard about Aerostar springs. I've never had a bit of problems. It lowered the car about 2". If I had it to do over, I'd go with the Aerostar springs but I'm not gonna change it now.

11. ...let us know what you do and pics please.

waynegen likes this.
  12. Colonial Coupe

Colonial Coupe

20180508_092456.jpg Aerostar coils,fatman dropped spindles, posies rear springs with 2 inch blocks. Chevy monza v8 front shocks and 65 Chevy pickup rear shocks. Rides better than stock. 65 mustang rear. Some rubs with the fender skirts on. I have hit a manhole cover or two with the front crossmember.

dr_gonzo, slim38, Oldioron and 5 others like this.
  13. waynegen

waynegen

I really want to drop it 4 to 5 inches if possible. Thats why I was asking if anyone has done both. I think 5 should be possible. Looks like it has tire clearance. So far I’m going to try both

14. waynegen

waynegen

Thanks. That is perfect. Love your car

15. waynegen

waynegen

Nice car!! Like the color

16. waynegen

waynegen

Will do

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. 5 inches is possible but you may have to modify the driveshaft tunnel. It also gets a little tough for tire changes.

18. waynegen

waynegen

Will any Aerostar coils work. Years are from 86 to 97. Nice and cheap

19. You don't want the AWD. Part number is Moog CC850.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. As critchdizzle alluded it will involve driveshaft tunnel reforming and you will have to; let the air out of the tire when changing tires (a flat tire can be complicated:mad:) and you may have to unbolt the shock and pry (lever) the rear end down just to get the deflated tire back on:confused:. Then you have to pump it up:eek:. Really 3" max is all you want to go and you may still have to deflate the tire some.o_O

21. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

22. Colonial Coupe

Colonial Coupe

I carry a small bottle Jack to get the rear down enough to get tires off and on. Any lower would be a pita. On my 51 I run 6" wide rims on the rear

23. I've got 3" blocks on the rear and 205R75 x 15 radials on stock rims. I have to disconnect the shock or deflate the tire to remove it.

24. waynegen

waynegen

Thank you

25. waynegen

waynegen

Thanks to all replies. That is why I like this site. You guys can save me a lot of head aches. 3 inch drop now sounds perfect.

26. waynegen

waynegen

27. It may not be perfect. It all depends on what you want in the final outcome and what you are willing to do and put up with to keep it. Also, remember this, resale. Right now you probably don't have that in mind but if and when you do it will limit the range of buyers.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  28. Turd Herder

Turd Herder

I lowered my 1950 Coupe many years ago with parts I got at LA Roadster swap area from a guy who bought the palm rts new and never used them. Lowering coils from Jamco and leaf springs from I think Posies. I made an angle bracket for the upper a arms and use shims between the bracket and the a arm cross shaft to adjust toe.

29. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

That's a nice look'n Ford!

30. On my 50 got Aerostar springs, Shoebox Ford components, Jamco disc and spindles, sway bar, 88 Ford rear with springs and blocks and air shocks. Just right and no problem changing tires, rides great.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app