Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest What kind of car culture do you come from?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, Jan 7, 2019.

1. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

How does that affect your mindset today?

We all come from different places, different cultures. Each region has it's influences, nuances and styles.
    Personally I'm Southern. If there is a "Southern Style", personally I think it's conservative and does not stray too awful far from stock.
    For instance.....In my background we really did not build cars per say, rather we made them Right.

This might include a simple tune up...a engine swap...suspension tweak but we made improvements to "the car" rather than building "a car".
    My grandfather was a mechanic for a time. He raced some in Birmingham, built two Jalopy Racers, Copacetic I and Copacetic II. I was # 59 (50 Ford Sedan)and II was 111(46 Pontiac Coupe Chevy 6 powered). The 46 Pontiac was crowd favorite, they called the.... Triple One.
    These were just Jalopy Racers.
    My Grandfather also did some work on Whiskey cars. The bootlegger always paid in cash. That was a rarity in the 50s. Many folks who needed work done, did so on credit and tried to pay with stuff like eggs and garden vegetables. Some never paid.
    That's another thing....money was in short supply. Things were tight.

Old cars were not built as a hobby. They were built to get to work. In Chassis rebuilds, engine or transmission swaps, major work...started on Friday...finished on Monday Morning. That was done or you were walking.

With that said if you are doing the work, might as well improve it. Might as well soup it up. You might as well....make it right.
    This may explain why I tend to not stray too far from stock. I tend to want to soup up and get the best out of an old car before.....upgrading.

What car culture do you come from?

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I am from the Mid-Ohio Valley region,and we had many more short dirt ovals than drag strips, so I tend to like cars that can go around curves as well as they can go in a straight line.

3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

No, I have always had a good ride. My projects are just that. Sometimes they were dailys, if they broke down, I had another. Now my father and grandfather....they had to fix or improve their "shit" cars on occasion to get to work.

My point was taking a shitty car and making it better. I thought that was big part of hot rodding. Taking something that was discarded something in a junk yard or under a tree somewhere, repairing it upgrading some things and making it better. Sometimes that was done out of necessity and while they were at it, they might as well make it nice or make it run better.

I know of drag racers whose race car and daily driver were one and the same. Some of the early Nascar drivers raced their family car. Some of the West Coast Custom guys, "Customs" were their only car.

On a more personal note...this is not the first time you have been a little snide to me. I don't recall ever doing the same to you.
    Maybe something is lost due to the brevity of this media? Maybe I miss understand.
    Granted, it may be a dumb topic and I may have asked for it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    woodsnwater, loudbang and Blues4U like this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not a dumb topic and no, you did not ask for it.
    Soldier on.

31hotrodguy and F-ONE like this.

5. Growing up probably near you in Gadsden, it was a car crazy place. Just about all of the school kids had something that they modified in some way. The "Bible" was Hot Rod magazine and everyone wanted a "California" styled car. First hot rod I ever saw up close is when we moved in 1958 and across the street, some guy had a 32 Ford highboy roadster with a Merc Y-block engine in it....painted hot rod red. That hooked me. I had to have something like that.
    There were not a whole lot of city cops at that time and quite a bit of street racing went on. We had a good 1/4 mile drag strip just outside of town. There were a bunch of hot rods and a few customs in the 50s-60s.
    Old cars were so popular there that every time I thought I found one I could buy it was ...not for sale..Seems like every back yard had some kind of old car. There was also a big antique car influence there back then. I moved away 40 years ago but whenever I go back I see its still a popular hobby down there. Where I live now is nothing compared to what I grew up around.

zzford, 31hotrodguy and F-ONE like this.
  6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I grew up in north Iowa, as a kid we street raced what we drove so you better drive something fast. Everybody drove a project, every thing was fluid and changed week to week. Cruzzing was part of street racing, find someone to race and head out of town. We all worked on each others cars, some guys could paint, some fab, then the guy that could tune, he was the hero!
    About a year out of high school I found Humboldt Co. Dragstrip north of Fort Dodge Ia. and street racing days were numbered. It's still my favorite track only because it's a time warp, it's still in the sixties.
    The guy that could tune built an econo dragster and the race bug was set. Man those were great times!

classiccarjack and F-ONE like this.
  7. I am from Nor Cal and the Pacific North West. I doubt that I was ever part of any culture per se, well not car culture anyway. I am from the same crowd as the Op when it comes to mods, my hot rod has always been my daily and repairs and mods usually had to be made in my time off of work.

For me I guess culturally going fast has always been my mantra and form always follows function. So I guess looks and cool were never part of my plan.

8. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

I grew up on the Kansas-Nebraska line in a very small town. Henry Gregor Felsen had a big influence on my life.
    Wish I had saved all of the paper back books.
    Pete

F-ONE likes this.
  9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Everything is good amongst the Hambers thank you.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I come from the southern California car culture, from the 60's - 80's. I graduated high school in 76. I saw it all from my youth in the 60's, to the billet era of Coddington and Buttera. I was exposed to hot rods, but they were out of my reach. I got hooked on muscle cars and pony cars when I started driving. The high school parking lot was filled with hot cars. Rich kids parents bought them whatever they wanted, the spoiled brats, haha. I had my subscriptions to Hot Rod and Car Craft, and built my Chevelle's like the cars in those mags. The neighbors down the street had hot rods, and we'd go with them to the cruise nights, but we weren't allowed to park our cars with the hot rods, we had to park out back with all the other non-hot rod cars. I salivated over them, but at that time they seemed way out of my reach. Marriage, career and life got n the way and I lost interest in cars for a long time, only getting back into it over the past few years. Luckily by then the traditional hot rod scene had developed and the billet era had died down. I traded off my old Chevelle for a Model A hot rod, and have never had more fun in a car than I do now. In some ways I'm a relative new comer to the hot rod scene, but in other ways, I was there through the 60's era, I remember the CARtoons mags, Rat Fink, the 60's show cars, the Munsters, drag racing in So Cal, older siblings cars and their friends cars. The neighbor across the street with the 58 Vette, other neighbors down the street building rods in the garage. I remember driving stripped down Chevy & Ford sedans in the dunes, and the competition between those with Ford flat head V8 powered buggies vs L6 Chevy's (the Ford's were faster, but the Chevy's were smoother and had more torque. The kids preferred the Fords, the adults like the Chevy's). I wish I had pictures of those days in the dunes (before Volkswagon buggies). I remember cruising to the beach in my brothers 62 Old's turbocharged Jetfire, or before that the Galaxie 500 with the rotted out floor where I could actually see the road through the holes. I remember my other brothers 64 Cutlass, and his buddies 40 Ford coupe. I remember gasoline at under 25 cents per gallon, and we could fill a 1 gal can up for a quarter and ride mini bikes or go carts all day. I realize how lucky I was to have been raised here, but things can never stay the same, and So Cal today is nothing like it was back then. Fortunately we still have a lot of hot rod activities, shows and the great weather for year round driving fun.

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I grew up the son of a tool maker that worked for GM for 39 years in Flint, MI...the heart of GM. He had a few muscle cars before I can remember. Had a friend around the block whose dad was a rodder...had a red '39 Chevy coupe. Nasty SBC, 4-spd, red steelies. It was a bad ass car to this kid! I put a lot of miles crammed in the back seat of that car. He taught me a lot. Sold me my first 'project', helped a ton with my first real hot rod (the Peter Beater T-Bucket). I still see him every once in a while. He still calls me 'that kid' and I still call him Bud.

31hotrodguy, catdad49 and F-ONE like this.
  12. butch27

butch27

Absolutly none---but I remember when I was 9 walking over a mile to read a hot rod magazine ..Go figure??

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I got hooked on this old guy's '32 Hiboy when I was 10. First time I saw it was on a rainy day, I was on Grandma's large front porch, here comes this black--'hot rod'--with red and yellow painted fire coming out of the radiator...Rooster tails fanning 15 feet in the air, all four tires! The top was 'chopped down' low, white canvas, with squinty little 'side curtains', when it got past there were 2 chrome exhaust pipes out the back, I guessed they were the 'twin pipes' Louie Fahrberger talked about...
    A week later, my Mom and I were at the P-X Market, in a '50s 'Mini-Mall'. Big place, but on the corner of the lot was a large Standard station...There was that Hot Rod again, this time the top was gone. It was parked next to a Model A roadster, which had a name on the door..."Lucky".
    This was my 'start'. I braved over, asked who owned the black hot rod. A friendly guy (old, musta been 24!) talked to me, told me the 'rod' was a '32 Ford, he had gotten it from a friend, and was fixing it up.
    I grew way up that evening, learned a lot. "Read Hot Rod Magazine," the old guy told me. His name was Al Marceline. His pals called him 'Boof'. (means 'friend' in Portuguese)
    I 'purloined' a whole collection of HOT ROD Mag (from the first one, all the way up to 1953 at the time) From then on, I bought it from the News stand every month.
    Oh, God...and 'the little pages'...HONK, R&C, Car Craft.
    My Aunt visited on my 12th b'day, bought me a subscription that lasted to 1962.
    'Beginnings'. Santa Clara, California.

14. Here in the rural South I'm not sure there was much to call car culture, most teenagers drove 3rd and 4 th handed junkers that they tried to make them look cool like what we saw in the magazines.

For me, I was introduced to Henry Gregor Felsen's books and Hot Rod Magazine by my mom that bought them for me to encourage me to read at the age of 12, I was hooked but I wasn't old enough to go out and associate with the older guys so I lived vicariously through what I read.

I purchased a 32 5 window coupe with all my savings at the age of 12 which didn't go over well with my dad, my next car was a '54 Ford and I learned how to work on cars with that car, I blew up the inline 6 and put a 390 Mercury in it, I also wrecked it.

Painted wheels & chrome lug nuts was a common sight as was lake pipes (Most were dummies)

If the car had a inline 6 we wanted a split manifold a V8 needed dual exhaust.

Extra carburetors were always exciting and if the car had them 9 times out of 10 come Saturday night you can bet the hood was left at home to show off your new speed equipment while crusing the main drag.

I think here like everywhere else, Friday & Saturday night was spent driving from one drive in to another to check out what others had done in the past week, if you had a date we went to the drive in theaters or went to the submarine races and there was always a lot of cool cars there.

It was a simpler time. HRP

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

As an adolescent I was more interested in Hotrod’s. Not because there were many in NE Ohio, but because I built models of them.
    Then in the teen and early twenty’s I was into making a 60’s cars go fast. We worked on our daily drivers just to cruise and get to work.
    The age of 30’s, 40’s was all about keeping the house and the kids fed.
    In my 50-60’s it came right back to Hotrod’s.
    I didn’t receive any car knowledge from pop or grandfather.
    Everything I learned came from trial and error and friends and of course the H.A.M.B. .

48fordnut and F-ONE like this.
  16. trollst

trollst

Yep, me too, as a young man I drooled over any magazine with a hot rod in it, although my dad was a bit of a car guy, we were too poor to indulge in such luxury. Soon as I could ride, the biker lifestyle was for me and I forgot about hot rods unless I saw one, till I met the boss and her kids, rode for a few more years, but started on a car, eventually the bike went and been cars for 30 or more years. Full circle for me.

F-ONE likes this.
  17. From Northern California in the late fifties through the late sixties. I loved customs, but built hot rods to the extent my meager resources allowed.
    My 51 is a mild custom, but also has a 392 hemi under the hood. My 29 cabriolet, which was also my very first car, has many subtle custom modifications, but runs an A four banger that has a number of modifications as well.

F-ONE likes this.
  18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My name is John Milner and I drove a yellow Deuce 5W as a young man. Fastest car in the Valley.

Sound of needle being dragged across record.

Born in 1957. Suburban Michigan, 50 miles north of Detroit.
    Actually grew up in the muscle-car era. And a lot of guys my age had 'em because by the time we came of age...about 1975...nobody wanted 'em and they were cheap.
    But I was always nostalgic. Knew I liked the neighbor boys' hot rods when I was only 3. Idolized my uncle and his friends...their cars...their music...Frankie Valli, etc.
    My first car was a 1938 Chevy 4dr sedan. But I was not really part of any car culture per se. And even in the '70s, I was a throw-back as far as cars go. So I just kinda did my own thing. I got distracted by the muscle-cars like everybody else did. But my first love has always and will always be the old stuff...and that whole world...before muscle-cars...before the Beatles. That's why I think the pre-'64 Hamb cut-off is perfect.
    I was always keenly aware of modfied cars on the street. As a kid, I'd tell the driver of a rumbly car coming down our street to "Lay a PATCH!!!" Lol...sometime they would. We did some cruising on Gratiot north of Detroit. And I remember the many many jacked-up muscle cars at a couple of the big Metro Parks...lined up for as far as you could see...hugger orange...superman blue...
    These days, still doing my own thing.
    And hanging out with you guys.

F-ONE likes this.
  19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I grew up in a military family (USAF) until I was 19 years old; then I drew a very low draft lottery number, and my Father pulled strings to get me into the USAF, so I did't wind up as ARMY infantry in Viet Nam. I wish he'd just have minded his own narrow-minded business. But anyways, everyone in the family was a hunter, fisherman, outdoors type person, camper, etc; but NOT me, I was the tinkerer, the tear-it-apart-to-see-why-it-works-and-put-it-back together-again, kid. Basically, I was born into the "wrong" family. I've also always felt, I should have been born into the "previous generation"; into the beginning of all things hot rod-drag racing-dry lakes racing, etc. Course my Father did everything possible to break me of being a hot rodder-grease monkey-drag racer-all around mechanical guy; he failed in that, seriously, but he still tried. So, tearing stuff apart, rebuilding my bicycle, stepping up to go-carts and mini-bikes, and finally, "cars". And the rest is history, as they say. My Father even tried to derail my career aspirations; he could't see what I saw in helping people, and why I wound up as an X-Ray Tech. It took him getting cancer, and being exposed to many things in Radiology, before he "kind of understood", his one "odd son"; and then he died. I tell people, I had a FATHER, but I never had a DAD. My philosophy has always been, as a parent, you SUPPORT and HELP to GUIDE your children, in whatever THEY decide to do. It's their life, not yours.................................I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

20. L.A. Calif in the mid to late '50's. Yeah, cars were pretty popular.

40ford.jpg

21. Grew up in northern and later in central Oregon. My dad wasn't into cars, he loved his Harley. I loved hotrods and customs from when I was little and in school I gravitated toward my fellow gearheads...built model cars, read hot rod magazines in the school library and later hung with the guys with hot rods in high school. The car climate was alive and well in Oregon. I rode with my buddy in his 39 ford with a merc motor sometime rode with his cousin in a 40 coupe with a hot flathead and later a 327/4 speed. Friday and Saturday nights were reserved for cruising down town. In Jr High I'd sneak out my bedroom window and walk the 2 miles to town to watch 40s-50s cars "cruising the gut."
    Central Oregon also had a healthy hotrod/custom climate....that's where I began building my own hot rods in High School.......everybody had something modified. School had a great shop class too. Man, those were the days.

F-ONE and 31hotrodguy like this.
  22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From the South.. I'd be guessing u'd be running some "shine"...

23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

My upbringing was close to F-1s. I subscribed to Hot Rod in 1964 and have every copy since.
    That’s where I learned about the finer things in cars, especially engines. Hot Rod back then would buy a car and each month they would do stuff to it and then drag race it and you could see what helped...or hurt and how much. I looked forward each month to see what was happening next!
    At 15 I bought a 430 MEL from a 1958 Lincoln rebuilt it,and put it in my 55 Ford. Was close to the top of the heap at my school. My buddy’s 1964 GTO, gave me fits.
    We mainly would go to a deserted road and race. Cops didn’t seem to care as long as it was out of town and we didn’t stay too long.
    My Dad was my mentor, taught me enough to make a good living and excellent retirement. We built a 312 and Cushman scooter, after that I was the guy that fixed everything! My Dad was an aviation mechanic on a carrier in WWII. He taught me “ how
    “ to be a mechanic, but insisted on 4 year degree for all of us. I chose to be a Fire Mechanic for 33 years. We had a good relationship and worked together to build our ranch.
    Buried him on Dec. 7, 2012.
    That’s my culture...

Bones

alanp561, F-ONE, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  24. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Grew Up In A Small Town In Idaho During The 50s/60s That Had More Hot Rods Per Capita Than Any Big City...Anywhere... LEE WOLLEY 2015 007.JPG

F-ONE, 31hotrodguy and 54EARL like this.
  25. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Grew up and still live in Minnesota. Followed the same pattern of most here. The biggest difference I can tell was while we drove our cars Spring Summer and Fall while fixing them up when the snow fell the hot rod went into the shop(grew up on a farm) where we could work on them. All the kids had a truck as a backup.
    After high school it was still the same. All winter to build a car.
    Always thought that was a advantage over the sunny states. We have months to work on stuff because we can’t go cruising

F-ONE likes this.
  26. hotrod_tommy

hotrod_tommy

[QUOTE="buffaloracer]I grew up on the Kansas-Nebraska line in a very small town. Henry Gregor Felsen had a big influence on my life.
    Wish I had saved all of the paper back books.
    Pete[/QUOTE]
    Hey Buffalo - His daughter (Holly Felsen Welch) has re-printed all the books ! ! No kidding, it's a big deal around here, coz he lived here and some of the old farts here even knew him, we all certainly LIVED on his books. Ya gotta do a search for her and get the books! I reread them again... still rings my bell!

GuyW, F-ONE and buffaloracer like this.
  27. 6sally6

6sally6

Born in North Ga.........grew up in upstate SC when we moved there when I was 13.
    When I was just 8 or 9 years old my cousin "took-me-for-a-ride" in a 55 corvette of his. Convertible with straight pipes. That ruined me for life! I still love a noisy car.
    My first car was a 54 FordCustom line coupe. Soon figgered out I could take one side of the old cross over pipe loose and the old Y-block really sounded sweet. Blew that engine and replaced with a 312 Y-block with DUELS!
    Graduated high school in 66 and bought a 64 Falcon Sprint. 260/4 speed with a BENCH seat. (Hard to believe two grown teenagers could lay down in the front seat of that little car.) One of the first things I did to that lil 260 was a Holley 4 barrel and ...you guessed it....a set of Jardine headers!
    I have an old Mustang (same year as I graduated) with.........a set of headers. (which I usually leave OPEN!)
    Might be the reason I'm a little hard-of-hearing?!
    6sally6

28. Dad was a machinist. Most of my uncles weee mechanics,welders and electricians.
    They cut logs during layoffs/ contract negotiations
    We fixed everything ourselves , built the logging equipment and I helped.
    No hot rods, just keeping things going
    If the part was too expensive dad would machine a new one.
    I grew up watching/helping my uncle drag junk up, mostly stuff no one wanted and we fixed em. Building engines, brakes, even stretching frames for log trucks

My grandfather was uneducated and could hardly read but was an absolute problem solving genius.
    I loved his Model T stories and about how he built tools and things needed to keep the family fed
    I can’t remember a time we ever lost or gave up fixing/building something

I spent 14 years doing collision/restoration work on European cars. We were a Mercedes certified repair shop. Not many independent shops like that. We were also authorized warranty repair for you name it high end car I was the main Porsche guy. We also did pre-production work for Benz. These were the cars they took to new car auto shows around the world.
    Then about 3.5 at Johnson’s rod shop building a lot of cool rods and pro touring rides including a cool salt flat racer

I get tickled thinking that I was s part of several show winners, magazine cars .......... using skills I learned from working on log trucks and beaters.

GuyW, F-ONE, clem and 2 others like this.
  29. gene-koning

gene-koning

We had a 1/2 mile dirt track in out town. The nearest dragway was 40 miles away. My mom tells me I as at that dirt track when I was 3 months old. I've spent every Sunday night, and when the track switched to Sat night, every Sat night at that track until I was in my 30s.
    From about 12, I spent my Saturday mornings riding my bike to the garages of some of the local racers. I became a pretty good helper, and gained a lot of mechanical experience from those guys.
    Our high school has a great auto shop, and I spent every available school time in that auto shop. I became a pretty big motor head by then. My 1st real job was at the largest Mobil gas station in town. It had 3 service bays that were always busy. Before I was 18, I was doing tune ups, carb rebuilds, and brakes. I was also addicted to that dirt track. I was one of " those guys" back then. I graduated high school in 1974, by then muscle cars were real cheap, and a guy with a little know how could make them pretty fast, on not much money.
    I got married in 76, and had my 1st dirt car in less then 3 months. Not a very good dirt car, but one just the same. I played with the race car, had a pretty hot street car, and life was grand, for a while. I discovered having both a race car and a hot street car was expensive, and the gas station didn't pay that well. After a short run at a different auto repair shop, I ended up in a factory, and then ended up in maintenance at that factory. That paid pretty well. On the side I set up an auto repair shop. The repair shop funded the racing habit, for several years until the racing hobby got too costly. I quit dirt track racing, and pretty much quit going to the dirt track races.
    I bought a really rough (actually junk) street rod, and I discovered I didn't know as much about building a car as I thought I did. About that time, several job changes, a couple of growing kids, and life pretty much changed a lot of things in my life. It was a pretty rough stretch of 5 or 6 years.
    I ended up opening my own welding shop. I drug the old street rod into the shop and built it. The last 25 years have seen a lot of old hot rods built, between my son's projects, my projects, and a few customer projects. I have learned a lot, and had a chance to share some of the stuff I've learned along the way. I just took retirement last Oct, I've been pretty busy since, I'm not sure what retirement really looks like yet, but I know I no longer have to do those jobs I always didn't want to do before. Gene

GuyW and F-ONE like this.
  30. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I came of age in the 70's when 60's iron was cheap and plentiful. My dad wasn't much of a car guy but the neighborhood I grew up in was full of Camaros, GTO's, Mustangs, Impalas and some seriously kick ass Mopars. That's how my lust for automobiles came into being.

F-ONE likes this.