Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I have a chance to buy a 392 Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have a chance to buy a 392 Hemi from a buddy. My problem is that I have no idea on what the high dollars parts are going to be. I did some quick ebay searching and it appears the rocker assemblies are no cheap. Anything else I need to be aware of?

I don't know the condition yet, but I will be making contact soon. I would like to buy it and put it back for the perfect project car. Something hoodless, fenderless and loud. Prolly either an A coupe or roadster.

Any particular area prone to cracking etc? He's not a hemi guy either, but he is a racer, so he gets it.

31hotrodguy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. deucemac

deucemac

Having built a hemi, I can tell you that good early hemi parts are made of a special alloy known as unobtainium! I could have built 3 small block Chevys or 2 small block Fords for the same price. After healing financially, I absolutely love my hemi powered roadster! Just be careful and patient, there are too many hemi "experts" that really don't know their butt from a hole in the ground. Deals do come up and be ready when they do. A tar as general troubles go, I have built most domestic engines over the years, including non-hemi Chrysler products. No of them came close to the quality of casting,forgings, or factory machine work that I have found in early hemis! The late Joe Reath helped guide me in parts selection and his help shows even today. I have over 20k miles on it and it runs 180 degrees and 72 psi oil pressure. And believe me, it's not pampered ( or abused either ) but when I push the loud pedal down, it is without a doubt, power, noise, and sweetness all rolled into one. People ask me how fast it goes and I reply "just fast enough to scare the hell out of you!". Build it, enjoy it and for sure DON'T hie it from sight, hemis need to be seen AND heard. Joe did tell me one thing to do and I recommend it to you. Shot peen the rods and install ARP rod bolts! God luck and enjoy

Deuces, Hombre, 31hotrodguy and 6 others like this.
  3. George

George

check with "73RR' here on the board, he's Quality Engineered Components, also look at parts at Hot Heads, Rock auto, Kanters. I got most of mine from QEC & Rock Auto.

loudbang, deucemac, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  4. George

George

Also put "Hemi tech Index" in search & start reading.

Just Gary and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. Good info from George.....

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

7. mickeyc

mickeyc

Adjustable rockers are pricey. Non adjustable assemblies should be easier
    and cheaper to find. After market adjustable units are really expensive.
    The swap meet section over at the Hot Head site is a good place to begin looking
    for parts. Also adjustable push rods may take the place of adjustable rockers
    if you are contemplating solid lifters. Some say adjustable push rods should be
    used on hydraulic lifters as well. Get a copy of Ron Ceradondos (spelling?)
    book on hemis. A very good reference and informative look in to hemis.

deucemac, INVISIBLEKID and Just Gary like this.
  8. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think I can get it for about $1200. That seems like a fair price to me, if he doesn't back out on me.

9. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

$1200 sounds like a good deal.
    Check the codes at the front of the valley cover to see what it came out of.
    KK

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

Are they cast or stamped?

Jimmy White ruined my life....

Blues4U, Deuces, bobss396 and 5 others like this.
  11. belair

belair

It doesn't suck to be you. Hope you get a good one.

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am sure the Chryco Hemis are more high dollar to buy then a Dodge or DeSoto. I sold my 291 with trans running but all stock. $1,000 and he has just let it set.:oops: .

13. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Thanks for the video, that was pretty cool. I'm a chevy guy but I'd love to have one with a 6-71 on it in a nice little coupe.

Roothawg likes this.
  14. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Stay away from used Hemi stuff , blocks, cranks , heads, that have been raced.
    Buy stuff that spent it's life in a New Yorker, not a drag car !

15. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

hothemiheads.com/hemi_info/hemi_engine_id.html
    The engine codes are stamped, the code will tell you the year and the application the engine was used in.

KK

16. 1) Like most things automotive, buy the most complete assembly you can (including oil pan, valve covers, H20 crossover, etc.). You'll spend less in the long run.
    2) I love my 354 :D
    384795-Score1.jpg DSC05964.JPG

deucemac, classiccarjack and fauj like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Or an irrigation pump.
    Edit
    May not have been any 392 industrial hemi engines, nothing wrong with a 354.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  18. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

IMG_0228.JPG The 392 in my '32 is a CE57 code 1957 Imperial 9.25 to 1 comp. 325 with 1 4bbl carb!
    KK

mgtstumpy, loudbang, 40FORDPU and 4 others like this.
  19. Sounds like a great price

20. squirrel

squirrel

That's not too bad...try a 426 if you want to spend REAL money building a Hemi.

mgtstumpy, czuch, bobss396 and 2 others like this.
  21. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I paid $1500 for a good running 331 out of a dump truck 10 years ago and felt lucky to get it.

classiccarjack and lilmann like this.
  22. lilmann

lilmann

I picked up a NE57 392 that’s complete minus carb for $4000...more than I wanted to pay but it was in my backyard and he let me make payments over the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. bchctybob

bchctybob

If you're just building a street motor, the stock rockers cleaned up a little work fine, with adjustable pushrods if you need adjustment. My ski boat has had that set-up for years. I've seen factory adjustable rocker assemblies at the swaps for $600-1500 and most need rebuilding. The aftermarket stuff goes $1500 -4000. I wish someone would start making the old Donovan rockers again, last time I checked they had no plans to make any more. They used to be a good value.
    $1200 sounds ok for a 354 or 392, I wouldn't pay that for a 331 unless it's ready to run. Prices are all over the map these days but there are deals out there.

Thor1 and classiccarjack like this.
  24. manyolcars

manyolcars

I got my 392 in 1975 and still have it

25. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Can't get a used block for under $6000-8000... Can't wait to see a new block cast again. I hope that the Muscle Motors "the block" project doesn't get flushed.... I want a block that has cylinder walls thick enough to go .500" over....

Racer X recommends a Keith Black block.. but I just want a simple 426 street motor.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I own what... 14 Hemi's total? They are all 331's and 354's, and one Red Ram 241. They are in all stages of incomplete, complete, seized, great condition, and etc.

The stock rockers are very strong and good. You can buy adjustable pushrods, done it, no issues. In fact all my Harley Davidson's use adjustable pushrods with no issue.

In my humble opinion, a warmed up 392 will be great as a street motor. They make decent power without going overboard. And look awesome to boot. You can use most of the stock parts. Chrysler used good metal in everything they made.

I started out as a Chebbie guy, I didn't convert over to Mopar because they were less engineered . But it's not the cheap road to take... And the engines live a long time and can take a hella of a beating!

At $1200.00 you did good sir! Feel free to contact me if you need help decoding the block. I am more than happy to give you any information to help you ID what you are buying.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

deucemac likes this.
  27. deucemac

deucemac

No thanks Squirrel, I have already eaten enough cheese sandwiches and baked beans to save money on the early hemi! Also, Peter is right, anything a racer quits using is not any good. If it's good they run it until it isn't.

Thor1 likes this.