Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Homebuilt quickchange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jethro, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm pretty well equipped here. I have a mill and lathe as well as all the welding stuff. I am pretty much self taught , so when I get bits of advice from real machinists like yourself I take all I can get. Thanks again Denny!

2. alright, you've proved you can do it. Now start popping out complete rear sections instead of just conversion kits!

brEad likes this.
  3. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Hell yeah!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I'll take a conversion kit!

5. patsurf

patsurf

looks like pretty soon it will be YOU giving advice out that is prized!--looks great!!

6. Your Quick Change looks great, time to ramp up production !

7. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Read this from stem to stern and your pull out axle thread too. There are several QC’s that I can say have been made such as this.

The late Okie Adams comes to mind who made his versions out of Cook’s Machine Works-Cyclone Racing Equipment and Blair’s Speed Shop.

This is a very good tutorial for guys that are just looking for something different and being extremely resourceful. Great Job Jethro!!!!!!!!!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks C K ! I have always been fascinated by the ingenuity of the gentlemen who have gone before us. Taking something perfectly functional and improving it for speed sports. I know I could (if I had money) buy whatever I want . There are so many products available to build any level of performance you could ever need. Mr Edelbrock , Mr Hilborn , Mr Halibrand all saw a need for a product and with an idea and a dream made the hobby what it is today. I'm sure that there were a number of like minded individuals that had the same vision and said to themselves "If he can do it so can I" , maybe not going into production but building performance into their cars in dirt floor garages or high school auto shop.
    I'm not quite a Grey Beard yet , I have a few silver chin whiskers but I have gleaned a lot of knowledge from some of the elder statesmen who have shared their experience and tales of the past. I've seen a number of brilliant young guys on here who are going to take the hobby into the future. I only hope young guys ( and gals) keep the torch burning so our love of greasy things never fades.

kidcampbell71, brEad, rpm56 and 7 others like this.
  9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

A truly righteous reply!!!! Again, stoked by your talent/skill and learned applicability. ;).

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. coreythompsonhm

coreythompsonhm

This is absolutely awesome! Glad to see that its been completed! When the swap meets start up in a few months here in Washington, I will cruise around for a banjo rear end so I can do this too!

11. Bringing this back to the top because it is so damn cool.

brigrat and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

What's old is new again. Highland Machine used to make a 6 spline qc starting with the old Ford 3/4 ton truck rears. Relatively inexpensive compared to a Frankland CAE or Halibrand rear for northeast dirt modifieds, but HEAVY! Anyway I love the craftsmanship you have done here.

patmanta likes this.
  13. Glad to see the progress! That cover is sexy!

14. Grease348

Grease348

15. brEad, Outback and patmanta like this.
  16. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Wow! That's REALLY Nice!:D

mgermca likes this.
  17. PoRodder

PoRodder
    from St. Louis

I'm glad there are still pics of this in this old thread.
    What size are your mill and lathe? I'm not sure mine can handle this build.

mgermca likes this.
  18. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My lathe is 14 x 40 and my mill is 9 x 42 Induma which is an Italian Bridgeport. Anything other than a tiny hobby lathe and mill would probably be sufficient.

mgermca likes this.
  19. alchemy

alchemy

IMG_0398.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_3203.JPG

Here's one we made after being inspired by guys like you. We basically copied an old Frankland, but sized the lower end to take a readily available repro Halibrand 201 lower shaft. The last pic is our new cover propped up to the original Frankland.

rod1, tractorguy, Tuck and 3 others like this.
  20. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@alchemy that looks real nice! Your machining jig looks bomb proof. If I was going to do another one I would buy my lower shaft also.
    Just a little update... I finally got the General on the road and have about 500 miles on it so far . The rear works good albeit a little noisy . I had my ring gear back brace a bit tight and when I loosened it a touch my gear noise went away by half. Still noticeable but now sounds like a truck transmission with straight cut gears. I also have a little porosity in the rear cover that I cast. I get a bit of gear oil weeping after a run . Not too bad just have to wipe it with a rag , not enough to drip.
    All in all it was a satisfying project !

21. alchemy

alchemy

Can we have an installed pic?

22. Avgas likes this.
  23. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some pics as requested
    20221020_112253.jpg 20221020_112127.jpg 20221020_112113.jpg

24. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

A bump for those who are new, who missed it or need a reminder. Such a great project! @Jethro you are an inspiration!

brEad, Tman and Budget36 like this.
  25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yessir, never get enough of this kind of stuff!

26. Magfiend

Magfiend

Very cool! I thought there were ribs on the cover pattern - obviously changed out?

27. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had some trouble with that first pattern so I changed it ti the current one.

brEad likes this.
  28. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So , I have been driving the coupe with this quickchange for a couple thousand miles. No major issues or problems just some oil weeping from the cover which I assume is pososity because the gasket area is dry and it only weeps when it's warm after a good drive of an hour or so.
    But there are a few things that I wanted to change , mostly appearance and refinement.
    I spent the last week or so changing the patterns and casting the new pieces. It's supposed to rain the next few days so I'll machine the castings and see what they look like. So far I like the way they look and I'm proud enough to put my name and country on them too. 20231103_170058.jpg 20231103_170107.jpg 20231103_170125.jpg 20231103_170156.jpg 20231103_170205.jpg 20231103_170222.jpg

29. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Impressive! Way, way, way above my pay grade.

loudbang likes this.
  30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon