Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Senior Moments

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wicarnut, Nov 23, 2016.

1. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Spent quite a bit of time today looking for an "old" analogue multimeter I have, as new still in the box, to make a demonstration of how different meters give you different readings while measuring the same thing. Found the rest of the things I bought along with it, but not that. It's a rather big box, I should see it!

chryslerfan55 and wicarnut like this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I'd like to continue reading postings but I have to go pee.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    alanp561, Lil32, Bandit Billy and 2 others like this.
  3. manyolcars

manyolcars

4. indyjps

indyjps

Im 42 and already experiencing the onset of CSS, cant see shit. Only had a few occasions of CRS, cant remember shit....so far.
    I asked my father how long I have, he says til what, til my balls hit the cold water when I sit on the can, he just shook his head and laughed.
    If I can get a little forewarning on this stuff it'll really help me out guys.

alanp561, chryslerfan55 and wicarnut like this.
  5. upspirate

upspirate

The chip brushes for fiberglass are good too....I buy them by the box

wicarnut likes this.
  6. upspirate

upspirate

What?

wicarnut likes this.
  7. upspirate

upspirate

I used to have CRS, now I think it's advanced to Craft....can't remember a fucking thing!!!

8. The only good thing to walk out of Harbor Freight with is the cash register.

upspirate likes this.
  9. manyolcars

manyolcars

I found out that the inch marks fade away quickly on the Horrible Freight tapes. Now I buy Made in USA ---for a dollar at estate sales

chryslerfan55, wicarnut and upspirate like this.
  10. Moselli

Moselli

Lawn mower needed a new spark plug...
    Went to Lowes...

Walked through the tool section; they had a sale on ball pein hammers....
    Bought a ball pein hammer....
    Drove home.....
    I have five ball pein hammers.....

11. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Get metric tapes. The inch marks never wear off those. :D

Cooon, alanp561, wicarnut and 3 others like this.
  12. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

That's what the raised toilet seats are for.
    [​IMG]

alanp561, wicarnut and indyjps like this.
  13. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

i'm 50 years old , i don't have senior moments ;
    but my "drunk moments" are close.......

alanp561, wicarnut and krbstr like this.
  14. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

For work, I bought metric or tapes marked in tenths of feet instead of inches. They were always easy to find. I could hear the guy who "borrowed" it swearing.

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahahahaha...really funny stuff.
    My wife used to laugh that I'd sometimes "hang a left" for no good apparent reason. Whether figuratively, such as in conversation...or literally...such as when we'd go for a drive in the country in one of our old cars. We'd be cruising along just fine and once in a while I'd suddenly turn left onto another gravel road.
    Sandy: "Why did you turn left?"
    Me: "I don't know."
    And we'd laugh. :D

16. wicarnut

wicarnut

I read Item #2 somewhere and thought it fit this thread. LOL, we all know #1 CRS Can't remember Shit, #2 CRAFT, Can't remember a F**king thing. I guess past stage 2 it will not matter anymore. My only senior moment of late that I remember is, Reaching in to adjust idle carb screws on Edelbrock carb, my metal watch band touches hot lead on alternator, thinking wide enough to ground to case, ZAP ! quite the burn and that's why I remember it, still healing up. Anyone, any new senior moments to share ?. I enjoy reading others stories, Getting old is a trip, I'm always glad to read that I not alone doing stupid shit.

chryslerfan55 and olscrounger like this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

It is not a question of can’t remember sh!#&… it is just forgetfulness or not paying attention. We have owned several stainless steel barbeque cookers for over 20 years. The old one just gave up, so a new one (exact model and size with new tech) was being used. Upon finishing the cooking, I shut off everything and started moving it around to its rightful place. Something I have done for 20+ years. But, as I leaned down to check on of the wheels, my right arm hit the lid and now I am the proud owner of another 4 inch burn on my forearm.

I was just getting over a 59 year old burn scar on my bicep from our 1940 Willys Coupe repair at Lions Dragstrip. That burn was the size of a 2 inch exhaust pipe and peeled off a layer or two of skin. Over the years, I had to give out the explanation of that 2 inch oval burn scar on my bicep. Now, I have a new ½ inch by 4 inch scar on my lower forearm on the same side.

So, I did not forget, I just was a little careless. Now, when I am taking care and treating the new 3rd degree burn, I can still see the remnants of the 2 inch Willys Coupe header burn on the same arm’s bicep. Then a 59 year old pain comes shooting right back through the brain.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/those-goddamned-30-minute-jobs-that-arent.1152546/page-3#post-13158950

Jnaki

Obviously, I am not treating the new 3rd degree burn with STP, like I did as a young teen at Lions Dragstrip. But, the pain from the raw skin below was the same from 59 years ago. So, I keep telling myself, that stainless steel surface is hot all over. And, that I should gingerly handle the barbeque device, as I move it back into its place, when I am finished. I guess, the "cool to the touch" handle was the brain jolt that told me everything is cool. But, the lid and side portions were obviously still blistering hot.

wicarnut and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    And this just adds credibility to my theory that there are no such things as accidents. They are all caused by pre-meditated carelessness. Had I not been standing on the short round log when I attempted to shoot the rabbit, I would not have the marks on my left forearm where the bullet went through.:oops:

19. wicarnut

wicarnut

Bump again, my latest senior moment, we had friends over to play cards on the deck, in/out of patio door, wife closed patio door and I walked into it carrying stuff, lucky did not break glass but a pretty good lump on my forehead. when I asked why would you close door as we were taking stuff out, her reply, figured you'd see it was closed. my reply, why would I see it, it's never been that clean ever, pretty quiet for a while, later everyone had a good laugh at my bump and the story. I have not bumped this thread since September, for me many moments I'm sure, just don't remember them, still have a mild headache from this adventure. Everyone have a Great Day ! without any Senior Moments.

lothiandon1940, raven and LAROKE like this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But did you get the spark plug?

wicarnut likes this.
  21. LAROKE

LAROKE

I feel your pain. I've knocked a slider off its track with my face more than once myself.

wicarnut and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. wicarnut

wicarnut

Myself and 2 Buddies went to Barrett Jackson Scottsdale this year, Dennis 85, Don 65, self 74. When pulling in parking lot there, a huge lot, its marked very poorly IMO, I say to my friends, let's all pick some landmarks so we can find car when leaving. OK, we have fun, walking to lot I say, everybody know where my SUV is ?, reply, all of us, got it. Well.......... guess what, we walked/split up around for 20 minutes at least, me with keyfob over my head hitting panic button, funny thing, several men stopped, windowed down and said, don't feel bad, we did the same thing. OK, Dennis 85 years old finds car first pretty quick but forgets he's got his cell phone in pocket, remembers it and called me, I yell/wave at Don, in my sight line. WE all laughed at ourselves, I never leave home without Miss Garmin, have one in every car I own, now apparently I need to buy something so I can find car in big parking lots or get younger friends. LOL. Aging is a trip, I'm enjoying it, have said this before, miss my hair, but miss my mind more.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    Lil32, williebill and Joe Travers like this.
  23. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

My younger brother ran through a closed sliding glass door back in the '60s, busted up pretty badly. He was around 10 years old @ the time....Senior moments run in the family, I think LOL :eek::D Too many for me to tell but vividly remember a rented engine hoist bouncing off my truck bumper into a highway ditch once. Very fortunate no one was tailgating :oops:

Joe

wicarnut likes this.
  24. I have to say`this to get it off my chest I have been a member of the Hamb
    for about 8 years when i did not Post for a couple of Weeks to a month
    the only person the called out to me was

Loyd's paint & glass
    Thats what you call a Friend.!
    I Just had to say it.

I just had to say it.

just my 3.5 cents

live learn & die a fool

25. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

A meme I came across awhile back:

"Not to brag, or anything, but I can forget what I'm doing, while I'm doing it."

Sucks to be true, but more than one friend at work thought it was hilarious...
    In ~ a week, I'm finally outta there permanently, w/o leaving in a wheelchair or box, but still in possession of a small part of my mind. Small favors, I suppose. ;( .
    Marcus...

wicarnut likes this.
  26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hear! hear!
    @nrgwizard is retiring!
    Strike up the band!
    Everybody dance!!!
    Congratulations, Marcus!

wicarnut likes this.
  27. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Danke, Ricky;
    While I am getting out alive, it's not w/o a lot of damage. Has taken almost all of the (past) fun of wrenching on the toys away. It also appears that I won't be able to finish all the neat little(well - not so little - lol) toys I sought & acquired for ~ retirement time. I suppose I should put a few up here, am having loads of trouble figuring out a fair price range. & since almost all are "dare-to-be-different", well... uuhff da ???
    Marcus...

Joe Travers, Hamtown Al and wicarnut like this.
  28. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

I've got early-onset CRAFT.

I've had a number of Norman vane superchargers over time. They are not small, about the size of a 6/71. Figured it was time to downsize and sell a few of the ones that I knew would never go on my projects. Wrote up an advert, and went to find one of them to take some photos. Could not find it. Turned the house apart, and the shop (both small buildings). Nothing.

Haunted me for a year. Turned the house/shop apart twice more over that year, could not find it. Gave up.

A year later, I notice a forum posting showing a supercharger being put in place on a Singer engine. Looked familiar. Zoomed into the photos, and sure enough, its my supercharger. Singer... Singer... that rings a bell. Went through my old emails, and sure enough I had sold the huffer 4 years ago to a bloke wanting to put it onto a Singer special.

Maybe if I practice more on my curmudgeonry, no-one will notice the CRAFT :oops:

Cheers,
    Harv

LAROKE and wicarnut like this.
  29. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

At 79 the "olden days" are still mostly there but as for now my memory is kind of like my peeing, slow and in dot & dashes. My eye sight is bad to, I keep loseing stuff thats right in front of me??!!:(o_O

LAROKE, wicarnut and '28phonebooth like this.
  30. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

There's a slow coolant leak on my DD. I have to top up water before every trip (warm climate so straight water will do until I can get the leak fixed). I spend about half my time at my 86-year-old dad's, as he's getting frail and can't really be left on his own. When I checked the coolant last night before driving home, the reservoir cap was missing. I'd obviously forgotten to put it back after topping up on Wednesday afternoon. It must have fallen out of the engine compartment somewhere along the road. I've just come back from buying a new cap.

I've been absent-minded all my life. At 58 I'm in the process of getting an actual diagnosis for ADHD-I/ASD. It got me thinking about how many of my personal idiosyncrasies come from work-arounds for my absent-mindedness. I have a kind of man-bag or sabretache thing to keep my stuff in, because otherwise I'd forget stuff all over the place or in my jeans pockets or have it destroyed in the laundry. Even so, I almost left my wallet on the counter when I bought the coolant cap today.

I've been on Ritalin for a few months now, and it helps some. My wife says she can see the difference because when I'm on it I can drive and have a conversation at the same time.