Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage "Out-A-Sight" Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bald1, Dec 26, 2018.

1. bald1

bald1

I belong to a group called the Brew City Gassers. We will be promoting a vintage drag race at Great Lakes Dragaway, Union Grove, Wisconsin, on June 14 -15, 2019. This race will be for 1966 and older vehicles. Here's one of the fliers for the event: Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  2. bald1

bald1

Brew City Gassers
    Rules to Race

BREW CITY GASSERS is a group of gasser enthusiasts. We are looking for era appropriate cars from 1966 and earlier. We are looking for era appropriate wheels, tires, hood scoops and stance.

1966 and earlier only exception being body style change such as:

-1966-1967 Chevelle
    -1966-1967 Fairlane
    -1966-1967 Falcon
    -1966-1967 Nova
    -1966-1967 Mercury products

**(NO 1967 Firebirds or Camaros)**

WHEELS
    Era appropriate wheels are a MUST!!!

-NO Weld Wheels
    -NO Center Lines
    -NO Pro Stars
    -NO Super Tricks or other billet wheels that came out later than 1968.
    -NO white or yellow writing lettering on tires or slicks (MUST be black wall)

WHEELS THAT ARE ACCEPTED
    -Torque thrust D
    -Torque thrust originals
    -Aluminum slots
    -Factory steel wheels
    -Keystone
    -Rocket racing launcher
    -Cragar SS
    -Chrome Reverse no white or yellow lettering on tires or slicks, MUST be black wall.

TIRES
    NO Pro street type cars with huge rear tires. We're trying to keep tire size appropriate to 1966 sizes.

SUSPENSION AND DRIVE TRAIN
    -Straight axle front suspension
    -No tube chassis full bodied door cars.
    -Stock front suspension and ball joint extensions are allowed with correct stance
    -Trans brake and line lock are allowed
    -Wheelie bars should not exceed more than approximately two feet past rear bumper

HOOD SCOOPS
    -NO cowl hoods
    -NO snorkel
    -NO bubble scoops
    -NO L-88 scoops
    Please do your research on the hood scoops and wheel selection there is plenty of information out there for Gasser Cars.

MOTORS
    -NO Nitrous
    -NO Turbos
    -NO LS Motors
    -NO Pro-Chargers
    -NO Billet Valve Covers
    -NO Billet Bracketry in the car
    -No anti-freeze in cooling system

BODY PAINT
    -No rat rods
    -No 1980’s and 1990’s graphics
    -No rusted cars (full panel solid rust)
    -No multi-colored panels (ex. yellow hood/green doors and red fenders)

NO ELECTRONIC DEVICES
    -No stutter boxes
    -No throttle stops
    -No electronic (digital) gauges in dashboard

Era appropriate induction such as tunnel ram mechanical fuel injection, no electronic fuel injection, period correct blowers, early style enderle injection, single 4-Barrel dual quads and cross ram.

SAFETY IS MOST IMPORTANT FOR BREW CITY GASSERS

Before racing check for oil leaks, fuel leaks, current seatbelts, and Snell approved helmets.

Great Lakes Dragaway is an IHRA track. All vehicles must comply with IHRA safety rules concerning equipment such as driveshaft loops, scattershields, rollbars, etc.

ENGINE COOLANT MUST BE WATER!! NO ANTIFREEZE!!

PLEASE REMEMBER…we are trying to keep this ERA APPROPRIATE from 1966 and earlier, we cannot express that enough!!!

Attention all nostalgia racers! Registration is now open for the “Out-A-Sight” drags.
    Here are guidelines for registration:
    - Review the “Rules to Race” that are posted above.
    - We need 3 pictures of your car, including front, side (including the wheels you are going to run), and rear view. If you’re not running a hood, we’d like a picture of your engine bay (to verify the under hood components are era appropriate).
    - We need your name, phone number, and address, listed on the registration. Also include the year, make, and model of your car, and your approximate E.T.
    - Email your registration to: [email protected]
    - If you’re unsure, or think your car is borderline (after reading the rules to race), submit your registration and let us review it. We’re not going to reject a car, for example, if the wheelie bars are 3” longer than what we specify. What we’re trying to do, is have a race that has the look and feel of 1966.
    - Response time for registration may take several weeks. Please do not send multiple emails. We will reply to ALL registrants.
    If your registration is approved, we will email you back an assigned number. You will need this number at the entrance gate to race. Please DO NOT change things on your car, like putting on modern wheels, and think you’ll be O.K. to race after your registration is approved. Remember, we want the look and feel of 1966 or earlier.
    We are excited and looking forward to having a great event, and hanging out with a group of vintage race enthusiasts that want to have fun!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Stogy, Torkwrench, Gammz and 5 others like this.
  3. nugget32

nugget32

Does this mean that the Melt Down drags in Byron, Illinois is history? That is the rumor we have been hearing.

Sent from my VS500 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. bald1

bald1

Good question.. All I know is there's no 2019 Meldown Drags. I guess time will tell if it comes back.

Deuces, chryslerfan55 and nugget32 like this.

5. What is the race format?

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I completely get the reason for MANY rules in a deal like this, really I get why.
    But.........you're gonna need to replace the letters "N" and "O" on your typewriter.:D
    Hope your event is a success, we need more events like this, especially out West.

Stogy, Gammz, classiccarjack and 4 others like this.
  7. bald1

bald1

Right now, we're going to have match races for the different classes. We're entertaining the idea of maybe doing some type of elimination race if we have enough interest. We'll know more as the registrations come in.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. ...good luck with your event,...should make for a good shakedown test for the Glory Days event at Byron in July...

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and bald1 like this.
  9. luckys8ba

luckys8ba

I' IMG_3104.JPG m Registered!!!

Stogy, chevy2tom, Chucky and 4 others like this.
  10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Racing in June up North sure sounds like better weather than what we have down here during that time of year.
    Wonder if I will have anything to race.

Stogy, Chucky and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. I would like to attend but my loghe style tube frame that closely resembles what was used during that era isn't allowed.

Stogy likes this.
  12. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Great news. I grew up down the road in Burlington, a good reason to come down an visit my old stomping grounds! Larry

Stogy likes this.
  13. pumpman

pumpman

Good news, I hope it is successful. I grew up in Racine and as a kid spent many weekends out at strip.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. Latigo

Latigo

Whaaat! No rust! That was pretty traditional in the mid-west when I was a kid bangin’ gears.

chryslerfan55 and nugget32 like this.
  15. woodyTom

woodyTom
    from canton MI

I have a 62 dragmaster with halibrand magnesium wheels, also with a tube chassis--see my avatar--according to the rules i am not allowed to race--i assume the rules are for cars not dragsters?????????? would like to attend

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I am sure that is no tube chassis door cars.

Stogy and mad mikey like this.
  17. bald1

bald1

Tom, your car would be fine. We're talking tube chassis door cars. I will try to clarify that in the rules to race.

18. bald1

bald1

I just edited the rules to race. It now specifies tube chassis door cars. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  19. woodyTom

woodyTom
    from canton MI

Sounds good, my son will send in registration, thanks tom

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and bald1 like this.
  20. bald1

bald1

That rule was put in to eliminate vehicles that would fall under the "rat rod" category. We're not going to reject someone,for example, that has a little rust on the bottom of their doors/ quarter panels(if the rest of the car meets the criteria). We just don't want something that looks like it was dragged out of a field (with whole rusted panels) and turned into a race car. Or something that has wheel hop and leaves half of it's body laying on the track.

Stogy, Torkwrench and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. Is the event a vintage only event or is it a side show to the tracks regular program? Should we expect nothing newer than 67 in the pits?

22. bald1

bald1

This is a vintage only event. Nothing newer than '67 in the pits and racing. The car show that includes '72 and older will be outside the pit area parked along the west fence just outside the return road.

Stogy, Torkwrench, racer-x and 2 others like this.
  23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I did pull the cover off the dragster, and started scratching my head. :D

Stogy, Gammz, Tickety Boo and 2 others like this.
  24. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

James, I am sure you have something out in the dumpster that's good for 600 hp ! Stop scratching and start digging! Don't want Jackson and A J getting a head start on bragging rights do you.;) lol Larry

Tickety Boo and saltflats like this.
  25. bald1

bald1

We're getting some really neat cars registering. Somebody asked about camping at the track. Camping is allowed for racers and non-racing participants. There are no hook ups, but non-racers can camp for $20 for the whole event. There's no charge to camp for the racers.

Stogy likes this.
  26. Can't wait! I'll be doing some events down here in the South before making the journey North! (back home!) Spoke to my good bud Stan and he will be coming also. (One of the original builders of the track, still running strong at 82!)
    Brando

Stogy and bald1 like this.
  27. I see that Rocket Launcher wheels are allowed. They are a modern wheel that came out in about 2007-8 .What is the reasoning behind that, when everything else is so strict and period correct?

28. bald1

bald1

The reason those wheels were allowed (I was told), was because they mimicked the spoke spindle mounts but provide the ability to run front brakes.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    saltflats likes this.
  29. Thanks.
    Of course , you realize the spindle mounts from the 60's were 12 spoke . The PT Barnum wheels are only 10 spoke, obviously, for the bolt pattern.
    The SEGA group does not allow them, being a modern wheel. Quain is on top of this stuff.
    Now, I wonder if the real reason for allowing the fakies, is because half the cars that signed up already had them? ;);)

30. the real deal magnesium American five spoke spindle mount wheels never had provisions to mount front brakes. I modified my wheels to run brakes. it just takes some effort machining the wheels and pieces. the 12 spoke wheels can be modified for brakes also. if that's the real reason im throwing the bullshit flag. both American and radir make new wheels that allow brakes to easily go on their wheels. its too bad the event falls on the same weekend as the hot rod reunion.