Register now to get rid of these ads!

History January 3, 2003

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 3, 2019.

1. My late friend Randy Nash (Deuce Roadster) talked me into joining the Hamb after he sent me a link and said these guys like the type of cars you do, my old sedan got lost in a sea of pastel colored cars with tweed interiors and billet wheels, what I liked wasn't too popular with the street rod crowd and didn't fit in with the restorers.

I was told a introduction was not suggested it was mandatory and to make it good,so I posted my intro and tried to cover all the bases and I was told the members were a rough crowd and thick skin was necessary, I though I could handle it.

I posted what I thought was a outstanding introduction but being new to computers and working from my daughters computer I was unaware the the caps lock was on and I was beat to a proverbial pulp, the wrath from some of the members over a simple thing like that had me wondering if I really needed to be here, the well written intro went down the drain like yesterdays bath water.

I got a positive reply from Randy & Ken (Boones) then I got a very welcoming reply from Denise (hotrodladycrusr) and then a private message from her encouraging me to hang tuff, naturally I took their advice and won over most of the naysayers.

I have made so many friends over the last 16 years, some I have been able to put a face with and others I haven't but that makes them no less a friend.

IMHO, the Hamb is the best site on the internet if your remotely passionate about traditional hot rods or customs, Thanks to all you guys that make the effort to share knowledge, offer assistance and encourage new members.

Thanks to Ryan and all the moderators for all you do. HRP

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    MP&C, midroad, mgtstumpy and 76 others like this.
  2. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are definitely one of the guys who made me feel I would fit in , when I finally got around to signing up . Rod on!!

wicarnut, Boneyard51, Deuces and 4 others like this.

3. D21BC886-CDB4-4CDD-966E-58FE0BADE4D6.jpeg Your the man !
    If you can overcome the initial FNG phase, this place is truly one of a kind.

In regards to a complete knowledge bank of old, new, what it was and what it is this place can’t be beat.

Not only for cars, but tooling, electrical, paint, garages etc etc....... it’s a one stop shop for any real car guy!

4. I must have lurked for what seemed like an eternity before I got up the nerve to ask a question. Didn't want to look like a fool and I had watched as some folks got "flamed" badly for asking a "dumb" question. I had always been curious about the evolution of the placement of the coolant outlets on Ford Flathead V-8s over the course of their production run. It seemed to me that the earlier, more centered on the heads location would have been more conducive to better cooling than the later ones that got moved to the front of the heads. What did I know??! Bruce Lancaster was kind enough to elucidate on the subject as only Bruce can do and went into all of the engineering that went into the cooling of said engines including all of the subtle and not-so-subtle changes that were made to keep them cool. I'm forever grateful to Bruce as he never was condescending at all and was willing to happily share the knowledge that he has which is enormous....Thanks to all who have freely given me advice over the years and especially thanks to anyone that I may have pissed off as I sometimes get quite opinionated.:rolleyes: Most of all thanks to Ryan and all of the moderators whose hard work and dedication keep this place running as smoothly as it does......................Don.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    mgtstumpy, The37Kid, LongT and 16 others like this.
  5. Well stated Don. HRP

Boneyard51, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

HRP - well done, throughout the years - a good message for the lurkers: Hop Aboard My Brothers

mgtstumpy, wicarnut, jim snow and 6 others like this.
  7. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
    Boy, those old times on here were something. What a cast of characters!.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  8. You got that right. :D HRP

9. verde742

verde742

Capital letters don't mean nuthin' except I can read the stuff without my glasses.
    was Randy the upholster ?
    Back to regular programming

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't suppose the newer folks could ever appreciate just how brutal of a crowd the old HAMB was. It did take nerve to jump in and stick with it, having that FNG sign around your neck meant "New Meat: Abuse At Will". Whew, it was something. You have become a HAMB institution Danny, it wouldn't be the same without you!

11. I,m going to cry!:p Love you guys.:)

12. I was testing out my new computer back in '99 or 2000 or so. I typed in hot rod and eventually I was lead to the HAMB. WOW! Like hotrodA said...what a bunch of characters! I jumped in with both feet and unlike some of the other guys, I had no hesitation. I was home.
    Kevin Lee had some car parts for sale and I drove down to Kansas City to get them and met Kevin, a bunch of the K.C. HAMBers and Ryan hisself. kc04hoodlums.jpg
    That did it, I was hooked. I found myself spending a lot of time on the HAMB and meeting like minded people. I got invited to the first HAMB Speed and Power meet in KC..took my ratty ol 33 pickup and had a blast spending time with the KC HAMBers. 33atspeed.jpg In 2001 Ryan once again restructured the web site and I ended up as a moderator for the brand new classifieds forum. Then the big shit happened. The very first HAMB Drags!!!! Before the event there was so much shit talking going on online. I needed a drag car so one of the guys at work sold me a ratty ol 63 Rambler American for a couple hundred bucks. Tuck [he went out and bought a '65 Rambler] and I sparred back and forth verbally until somebody named our competition the Rambler Rumble dragsramblers.jpg and we raced our asses off at Joplin....all discussed and photographed at length on the HAMB before and after. Never had so much fun!!!
    Bob K and I became friends at Bonneville, we captured Richie the greaser at the HAMB get together at BTT50s, HRLC use to stay at my house when she traveled through, same with TIM and Tuck and I had a great time driving my 33 pickup through the snow in Omaha just for the hell of it. There have been many many more friendships made, events attended etc etc. Hell, I remember driving to Minneapolis in the dead of winter to attend a HAMB Christmas party and making friends with Steve Hendrickson and later his dad, Roger and after Steve was gone, making friends with his lil brother, Eric at Pete and Jakes on our way to the HAMB drags a few years ago. None of this could have happened if not for the HAMB.
    I think I'll sprinkle a few photos into the text and get back to work on my coupe.

Bam.inc, Steve Ray, BrerHair and 11 others like this.
  13. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Echo yout thoughts Danny. Bruce is a treasure. I do sincerely miss C9 and of course 3WLarry.

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha! Man, those were the days. Just one of thousands of examples.

15. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

The site was recommended to me by a friend. I had no computer knowledge and still utilized a flip phone.
    I did get crucified a couple of times by some folks but I was overwhelmingly treated very well by everyone. Moriarity helped me get pictures uploaded RIGHT SIDE UP:). Deuces and Loudbang were encouraging but HRP emerged as a class act and I thank them all.

wicarnut, Boneyard51, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  16. Randy aka Deuce Roadster was employed by the State of South Carolina and worked in the sign department. HRP

[​IMG]

Randy & Oudisue.

[​IMG]

17. It was Tommy that got me clued in to the HAMB/Jalopy Journal. We all miss your wisdom, Tommy. 01032019.jpg

18. goldmountain

goldmountain

Don't think I did an introduction. Went straight to dumb questions.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

The37Kid, lilmann, wicarnut and 8 others like this.
  19. upspirate

upspirate

I can't remember if I did an intro either, but I do remember the FNG designation on the profile. Joined in 2012 so not sure if I was in on the tail end of heyday or missed it.
    I only had one thread deleted (that I know of), so I guess that's not too bad
    Lot's of folks helped me on here including HRP
    Thanks everyone

20. Moselli

Moselli

When I joined in 2009, I was a bit hesitant of joining a group that would accept me as a member. I was still working as one of if not the best secret agent in the world. The problem with being the best spy is that no one knows you are famous and you never get any recognition from your peers.

I decided to join this group in order to blend in....

21. I stumbled upon this site by accident. I was googling something and naturally, a post from the HAMB came up. Like you, I thought this was THE place to hang out where people liked the old style of traditional hot rods like I lusted after back in the 60s in high school, before the monochrome, tweed interior, IFS and RRs started getting popular. I also lurked for a couple of years and just read the posts until I actually had something to contribute. I don't recall getting flamed or slimed on so I must have snuck in after it mellowed out some.
    Nostalgic post, Danny. ALL CAPS ISN'T SO BAD, its easy to read. At least you used punctuation and spelled the words somewhat correctly:D...

22. oj

oj

How do you keep track? marks on the computer screen? I dunno how long I've been here, I remember being pissed a Ryan and sent back all my Alliance tags, then returned and have accumulated another small pile so I can't count how many of them I have. I remember somebody posting all caps screaming at everybody but dunno if it was HRP hisself or somebody else. Theres been a lot of good people on here, been a pleasure to make your all's aquaintance.

23. Nope, It wasn't me, BTW your first post on July 27, 2008

Don, at the time I joined ALL CAPS was considered yelling, but I didn't have a clue, I had never even used a typewriter so I was completely oblivious,my how times have changed. HRP

wicarnut, Boneyard51 and Deuces like this.
  24. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

HRP thanks for what you do!! You and a lot of others have encouraged a lot of folks like myself to keep on keeping on. I have learned a lot of info on this site and met some of my hotrod heros on this site such as Pete Eastwood, Rick Barakat, and others. Still trying to get a handle on posting pictures...………

25. Deuces

Deuces

What I do????...:confused::confused:;)

26. Like you I have had the pleasure of meeting many people that make the hamb what it is and I consider myself fortunate to have corresponded both here and through private messages with some of the well known movers & shakers of the our hot rod world.

Dean Lowe didn't know me from Adams house cat but that issue of hot rod magazine, January 1962 that featured his roadster pickup made a huge impression on a 12 years old kid that lived on the opposite coast , I had that magazine for years and his hot rod pickup was my inspiration, Dean is a man I have never but has always been a true gentleman anytime I had a question.

I believe the vast majority of Hambers are always willing to go the extra mile. Thank you all. HRP

MP&C, oj, pprather and 7 others like this.
  27. Deuces

Deuces

Yous guys are all great!....:cool::)

28. jim snow

jim snow

Good stuff Danny. I also am one of the crew that can't remember how I found this place. But it has been a blast. Made lots of good friends here and learned much. But the best was when I moved south from the northeast and was able to become brothers with fellow members here. I am very grateful. Snowman