Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lowering an HEI distributor cap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Neighborwood, Oct 17, 2016.

1. MaxCubes

MaxCubes

Wiring for a conventional coil... bb15.jpg
    For this coil, you would need to cut and crimp a different boot and terminal on the coil wire

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  2. MaxCubes

MaxCubes

bb16.jpg
    This is how the rotor is supposed to be pointing when you install the distributor.... make sure the engine is at TDC with cylinder number one at beginning of power stroke

3. MaxCubes

MaxCubes

bb17.jpg
    These are distributor cap firing orders depending on which engine you install this cap on

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  4. MaxCubes

MaxCubes

inside view after using JB black plastic weld... bb18.jpg

5. MaxCubes

MaxCubes

6. MaxCubes

MaxCubes

7. MaxCubes

MaxCubes

8. MaxCubes

MaxCubes

9. MaxCubes

MaxCubes

10. MaxCubes

MaxCubes

11. MaxCubes

MaxCubes

12. MaxCubes

MaxCubes

I originally made this cap back in 2012 for a V8 Fiero that I needed clearance for a supercharger. Long story short it worked great … Later I sold them on ebay for a while. But lately I haven't had a lot of time to make more... so I wanna share the info to anyone in need of a low profile cap for the HEI distributor.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Tim_with_a_T, Hnstray and HunterYJ like this.
  13. MaxCubes

MaxCubes

Oops..

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  14. MaxCubes

MaxCubes

bb30.jpg
    Here is another one installed on a turbo carbed 403 Oldsmobile engine

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  15. belair

belair

Well-done, Max, very generous of you. Thanks.

Hnstray, Ralphies54 and MaxCubes like this.
  16. Neighborwood

Neighborwood

I wrote the original story, when I had to modify the dist. on a 305 Chevy for my 1922 Dodge track roadster.
    I am glad you spoke up as the originator of this idea so that you may receive proper credit.
    Thank you for sharing. Sharing ideas is what I have enjoyed about the car hobby.
    Dick

Driver50x and MaxCubes like this.
  17. I didn't notice this thread when it first started. I don't need it right now, but it sure will help me later. Thanks for posting such detailed information.

Hnstray and MaxCubes like this.
  18. MaxCubes

MaxCubes

IMG_20181231_163718307.jpg old Ford 302 with eBay HEI distributor... This Cap allowed me to keep OE air cleaner

Hnstray and deathrowdave like this.
  19. MaxCubes

MaxCubes

Thanks for the kind words... You perty much made your own cap on your own, I didn't post all the detailed stuff until long after

20. Neighborwood

Neighborwood

Usually all I need is the fact something worked for some one else. In the initial description you gave enough data on how to do it. The next barrier I face usually is getting the money to proceed.
    My latest is adapting a 79 Toyota PU heater to a 55 Ford PU. Was able to incorporate the interior recirc. valve ,heater valve ,and the combination control for the ,heat/ defrost/vent control. Plus adapted the stock cable control panel.
    Then for the same 55 Ford PU I used combination radiator barf tank/windshield washer tank combination from around a 1980's Ford pick up. Slips right in next to the left front side of the radiator. The Washer tank slope matches the inner fender well slope.
    Another note for Rodders who want a dual use washer tank. Ford SUV's have a single tank and single pump. The neat thing is the same pump washes front and rear with the same pump. The pump rotation direction is reversed by reversing polarity. All that is needed to accomplish this is a double pole double throw toggle switch.
    Put one on a 79 CJ5. It fit on drivers side just between the fender well and the fire well.

MaxCubes and Algoma56 like this.
  21. sunbeam

sunbeam

22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Guess you guys never heard of crank trigger ignition.

23. I think he wants vacuum and mechanical advance. This unit appears to be computer controlled.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  24. MaxCubes

MaxCubes

Yes... Crank trigger ignition, no mechanical nor vacuum advance, maybe ok for race only

25. MaxCubes

MaxCubes

You can have a crank trigger in place of pick up coil... But still need a controller for timing curves... A computer......or a stand alone HEI distributor

26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Crank trigger ignition has been standard equipment on millions of Detroit cars over the last 20 years or more.

27. MaxCubes

MaxCubes

Yes, and once again used with computers, the point of using an HEI distributor is to avoid the computer and related sensors & harness

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Hnstray and egads like this.
  28. Well its for a 305 truck with a carb.

The cap will fit an HEI and you just have to use an external coil and its clocked. so you have no plug wires crossing over. One thing I have learned after a life long obsession with all things with wheels and motor is that you sometimes cannot have your cake and eat it too.

29. Please note also it is for a six cylinder engine.

Phil

Hnstray likes this.