Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Emergency Brake..??..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lilmann, Dec 30, 2018.

1. lilmann

lilmann

Does anyone put an emergency break on their new build(s) and/or repair them?

Does having a manual or automatic transmission alter your decision?

I’ve got two trucks - one is old but O/T and the other is a 1950 Chevy....I’ve put automatics in both of them but have always had standard transmissions. I could see the need of an emergency break while loading heavy equipment onto a trailer but doesn’t “park” mean it’s parked and not going to slip/roll?

Thanks, Ben

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. khead47

khead47

When I need an emergency "break", I grab a beer !

3. squirrel

squirrel

I keep the emergency brake working on all my rides...it's hard to predict when that emergency will happen, or what it will be...

also, there's a state law in AZ about having one, and I like to be legal.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Breaker breaker, brake needed. I have a manual disc brake on the pinion. Not trad but all I could figure. And I needed it when a line ruptured. Comes in a kit.

zzford and lilmann like this.

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I like to keep all my parts and I like all my parts in good working condition.

I had a brake failure several years ago and while the park brake did not stop me it sure slowed me down enough to make a turn that would have other wise have been near impossible.
    The moral of my story is always install your brake light pressure sensor in the rear brake circuit, so when it leaks and fails you still are able to keep good front brakes do most of your braking and pulling a trailer as in my case made it even more scary .

Stay safe always...

zzford and lilmann like this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Can't blame that on spell check!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

My 27 T has a brand new rear end mounted set up with Lokar handle. Always better to be safe than sorry.

8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

9. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Can't get a State-required annual Inspection without one in Massachusetts!
    And now the process is video'd!

James Barrette likes this.
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I'm guilty of not reconnecting mine. So to answer your question in regards to automatic or manual trans. Auto allows one to park and get out on a slight grade (while engine is running) with out your vehicle rolling away before placing a 2x4 under rear tire.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    jimgoetz and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Maybe this is non traditional, but I found Estop when looking for their American Wheel Milk Truck High Clearance Wheel.
    https://www.estopp.com
    Not there on my builds yet, but personally, I want a fuel kill, batt kill button/switch.
    & for e-brake, I'd prefer to have Right Hand "Oh Shit" mechanical lever accessible by shifter similar to 30s Fords.

. . .

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ That's E as in electronic, not emergency.

13. lilmann

lilmann

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It has to break before it can be said it's broken so having a brake can stop all this thinking about it all.

lilmann likes this.
  15. dwollam

dwollam

I would think that should read P-Brake!

Dave

lilmann likes this.
  16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Glad I am in Oregon non of that poop in less in area of DEQ.

moparjimd60, FrankenRodz and lilmann like this.
  17. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Yes. I prefer Emergency Brake. Not parking, not electronic.
    I will have Mechanical, Working, Traditional, E-Brake.
    Aka: oh shit, pull lever, hope you don't die.

. . .

lilmann likes this.
  18. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You never know the need for a back up plan until the need for a back up plan arises. I always allow for a manually controlled cable operated back up braking system.

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I agree with your statement...but would offer this slight variation in wording.....

"your never fully appreciate having a back up plan until the need for that back up plan arises"

duncan, F&J, Bam.inc and 1 other person like this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

I can't recall he last time I used the parking brake on one of my DD's.

lilmann likes this.
  21. if you take an automatic tranny apart and see the small chunk of metal that holds it in park...........you would know you need a park brake.
    when I was a kid I drove an old 3 speed truck, I hit a bump and the large clump of keys I had fell out of the ignition and fell through a hole in the floor. I had no e-brake and could not turn the truck off. I had to put the truck up against a pole so I could run back and get the keys............. wish I had, had an e-brake
    my cousin stopped at my house to deliver some firewood, while backing up to the shed the shift cable popped off the shifter in gear. he could turn the truck off but was on a hill.........good thing he had an e-brake.
    it is a rough world............ put all the bullets in the gun.

22. 41fred207

41fred207

Here in the state of Maine with it's long winter's of salt and brine soaked roads your "E-brake" is only good as long as u use it regularly! I've dumped countless amounts of $$ on OT automatic dd yearly to satisfy the sticker man. Cables, backing plates, shoes, drums etc... They have since changed the law and is no longer required on automatic vehicals. My '31 is a 5-speed so yes, it's getting one, only now it's called a "parking break"! When sh!t goes bad I'm gonna use what's in my hand at the time, my shifter, be it standard or automatic! I'll go for the "parking break" as a last resort, though it is nice to have the option! What kills me is to c people restoring their cars/trucks and using single pot jelly jar master cylinders. I understand them wanting to keep their rigs original but but to me safety has to come first! Single pot masters should be outlawed on any four wheeled road driven vehical. How many 50's styled hotrods out there with discs on front?! Or on all four?! Why? Because we're smarter and the technology is there and I hope we ALL want to build safe rigs, if not just for us but for the others we carry in them and for the family of 5 in the opposite lane.

lilmann and Hnstray like this.
  23. hayu

hayu

my thought on brakes is "what is my butt or my family worth".

G-son, lilmann, Hnstray and 1 other person like this.
  24. cometman98006

cometman98006

I have one on my truck and if I'm on relative level ground I just use park but if on any kind of hill the emergency brake is on.

lilmann and Hnstray like this.
  25. DUAL MASTER CYL
    AND EMERGENCY BRAKES
    If you don't care about you and your passengers, at least don't endanger those who didn't consent to the accident.

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

26. In my opinion, if you don't have the "emergency' or "parking" brake its half-assed. Put an auto trans in park on a steep hill without the parking brake on and you might have a hellava time getting it out of park.

lilmann, Hnstray and Texas Webb like this.
  27. BigChief

BigChief

Everybody realizes that "emercency brake" is a misnomer....right? These are parking brakes. There are very VERY few modern or vintage cars equipped with manually actuated parking brakes that are capable of any serious "emergency" braking. They might slow you down a bit around town but you will be sorely disappointed at the capability to slow from highway speeds. Everybody should be installing the best brake components they can....period. Disk brakes are not right for each build but there is no excuse for not having good modern linings and drums well within ID specs. Know your brakes by testing them at the limit a couple times a year....including a good yank on the "E-brake" to know if what you've got....some are like warm marshmallows at 60mph...others may grab and lock up the rear tires.....best to know that sooner under controlled conditions than the alternative.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. 327Eric

327Eric

after watching my Beautiful, low mileage OT Pontiac roll down a hill into a 60 inch pine tree because I did not fully engage park before I got out, I have always used my parking brake, and will not drive a vehicle until I have fixed it if it does not work.

jazz1 and lilmann like this.
  29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's in the Oregon motor vehicle code that you have to have a working park/emergency brake. Scroll down to (6) clear as a bell.

(Brakes)

815.125 Requirements and standards. This section establishes requirements for ORS 815.130. Except as specifically provided by an exemption under ORS 815.135, a vehicle or combination of vehicles is in violation of ORS 815.130, if the vehicle or combination of vehicles is not equipped with brakes as required under the following or if the brakes do not meet the standards described under the following:

(1) Motorcycles and mopeds shall be provided with at least one brake that may be operated by hand or foot.

(2) Motor vehicles other than mopeds or motorcycles shall be equipped with brakes that include two separate means of applying the brakes. Each of the separate means of applying the brakes shall be effective to apply the brakes to at least two wheels and, if the separate means of applying the brakes are connected in any way, shall be so constructed that failure of any one part of the operating mechanism shall not leave the motor vehicle without brakes on at least two wheels.

(3) A combination of vehicles that includes a motor vehicle and any other vehicle shall be equipped with a brake system on one or more of the vehicles.

(4) Brakes on any vehicle must be adequate to control movement of and to stop and to hold the vehicle or combination of vehicles.

(5) Brakes on any vehicle must be maintained in good working order.

(6) Every motor vehicle and combination of motor vehicles except mopeds or motorcycles shall at all times be equipped with a parking brake system. A parking brake system required by this subsection must meet all the following requirements:

(a) The system must be adequate to hold the vehicle or combination of motor vehicles on any grade where operated under any condition of loading on a surface free from ice or snow.

(b) The system shall at all times be capable of being applied by either the driver’s muscular effort, by spring action or by other energy. This paragraph is violated if the method for applying the system is not sufficient to make the system hold a vehicle as required by this subsection.

(c) If the system is applied by an energy source, the source must be isolated from other uses and used exclusively for the operation of the system.

(d) The method for keeping the brakes applied must be other than by fluid pressure, air pressure or electric energy.

(e) The system shall be designed so that the brakes cannot be released unless they may be immediately reapplied.

(7) Brakes on vehicles of the following described weight must be able to stop the vehicle moving at the described speed within the described distance without leaving a 12-foot-wide lane:

That from this page https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors815.html

Hnstray and fiftyv8 like this.