Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 39customs, Kustom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39custom, Mar 11, 2017.

1. 39custom

39custom

Sorry folks that took longer than I had thought it would.

As I mentioned before I was working on the project all summer and really learning how long things can take.

I started by completing the transmission tunnel fabrication and putting in the (65 T-bird) seats. Of course they are wider than the interior of the car so that required some notching of the trans tunnel and fabrication of some scoop shaped pieces to clean that area up.
    That was around the time I unknowingly started taking "Live" photos on my phone and for that reason I don't have a lot of photos to up load. Or at least I haven't been able to upload them.

I then started working on the dashboard. To me the 39 Ford dash is kind of boring, although for some reason I have liked pictures I have seen of them mounted in other 30's cars.
    Anyway I kept the louvered center section, extended the glove box door 2" and filled in the drivers side and mounted the 1950 Chrysler unit.
    20180512_123448.jpg 20180515_215924.jpg 20180528_055419.jpg 20180508_193821.jpg 20180812_063521.jpg

Next on to the cowl vent. Several pieces to make this item from scratch. But I got it to fit and hook up to the original mechanism.

20180731_211136.jpg IMG_0298.jpg

EVL401, Fomocokid, williebill and 9 others like this.
  2. 39custom

39custom

After that it was on to the interior sheet-metal.

I determined where the interior of the car finished and where the trunk started and added some temporary plywood and built a rear sheet-metal piece that follows the shape of the front seats and will eventually have upholstered panels to look like a rear seat.

That might be a good location for the battery later. Also stiffened up the rear door pillar etc.

IMG_0014.jpg IMG_0013.jpg

3. Great metal skills..following along.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. 39custom

39custom

Moving on I put in the steering column (47 Ford) converted the shift linkage from the manual trans (two arm) to one and will add the Lokar 700r4 arm later.

Added all the body mounts and fabricated a custom one for the front of the firewall and mounted the brake booster master cylinder etc, had to re jig the cross-member for that install.

Figured out the gas tank size and mounts etc, to be fabricated next year.
    Bought some other small parts etc, etc.

That's was about it for this year. All those little pieces can take up a fair bit of time.

The main thing is that I haven't lost interest in the project, so that's a good thing.

20180529_065645.jpg IMG_0327.jpg IMG_0425.jpg IMG_0589.jpg IMG_0333.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

common problem

Asphalt Demon and nunattax like this.
  6. Squablow

Squablow

Good update, I really like the custom dash work.

7. Beautiful work! I'm loving where this is heading.:cool:
    Really like that dash - I had plans on fitting a '56 Chev cluster to the '40 dash in my '36, but ended up taking the 'safe' route. Almost tempted to get cuttin' again after seeing yours.
    Great that you're still at it - so easy for 'life' to get in the way sometimes.

Bear:)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

takes longer to do it right

9. 39custom

39custom

Thanks Bear,

I'm living near Toronto Canada now, but I'm originally from Mosgiel, near Dunedin on the South Island.
    Your project is one of the best on here for sure. A ton of excellent detail!!
    Cheers.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and Surf City like this.
  10. fortynut

fortynut

Your coupe needs a Cadillac engine. Any size up to Five hundred cubic inches, or more. Sleds don't need wimp-ass motorvation. The ones I like best haul the freight like a speedball express, a non-stop boogie special that goes like it looks. Otherwise, you'll be run over by our hot rod brothers who think fast and the make you eat their dust.

OahuEli and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Any updates? Would love to see more of this build!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

What a great build, just started at page one and got up to date. Bob

13. 39custom

39custom

I'm going to update the thread in the late fall. I have been working on the front sheetmetal and building the inner fenders etc.
    I also redid some of the rear joints in the panels and got the trunk mounted and a new skin for that in the works.

14. What an awesome build. We need more of these types of builds here. Keep the updates coming.

15. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Forgotten all about this build, just skimmed thru it again, great build, looking forward to your fall updates.
    I was looking at t bird seats for my 40, but just bought 65 Mustang, they fit a treat width ways, but are a little low for a stock bodied car, so i'll need to use a 'booster' seat (-;

chryslerfan55 and OahuEli like this.
  16. Hoping to see an update of this one.... I am intrigued.

17. goldmountain

goldmountain

I just discovered this thread. How's this for the finished product? Scan-211026-0001.jpg

18. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

I love the idea of the side pipes

19. Hey 39 custom you still ticking along?

Adriatic Machine likes this.
  20. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

The car is coming along with some great personal touches. I picked up '65 T-bird seats for a '39 4 door Mercury I'm doing. The rear will work with some adjustments and the buckets are good up front but very low. Any tips on what you did so I won't have to look through the steering wheel?

21. 39custom

39custom

daylatedollarshort,
    Im still at it. I found I wasn't getting mush done in the summer so I put in a garage heater so will get back out there soon.
    The engine is at the machine shop supposed to be done for Christmas. I have all the vintage parts I need except for some side trim, I picked up a nice set of 48 Hudson Commodore tail lights that will look great on the rear fenders with some custom stainless frames.

22. 39custom

39custom

Ne'erdowell,
    My car is channeled over the frame so the bucket seats sit straight on the floor. I have a set of bases if needed from another car. But so far it looks like it will be fine.

ne'erdowell likes this.
  23. Good to hear. We will take all the good news we can get.

24. unforgiven

unforgiven
    from East Tn

Love the look. The metal work and vision are awesome. Hope you get more done. Projects always take longer than expected.

25. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

To be honest, I had lost track of the amazing work that has gone into this build. I went back and re-read it (thankfully it is relatively short :)) and the vision and skillset to make it happen are incredible. Thanks for sharing as you do and please continue.

26. manyolcars

manyolcars

this is awesome! build threads are the best part of the HAMB. Please keep posting

brEad likes this.