Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hot Rod Related Pit Stop Eateries

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Dave, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I have never seen a thread on the HAMB about hot rod related eateries. There are some across the country and around the world.

I think my favorite is the Taco Station in Riverside, Ca. It's a 50's style car place/ era style gas station. It serves up Mexican food named after motor parts and parts of cars. I really like their Chicken "Spark Plugs" Enchiladas.
    And the different salsas are rated by octane levels...

What hot rod eateries have you been to over the years?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    jnaki, loudbang, partssaloon and 7 others like this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ I have not been there in a while. Good food.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    loudbang and Flathead Dave like this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

On Route 66 not far from the 15 is this place.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. One I have visited a couple of time is located a few miles west of the Texas Motor Speedway, the Pate & Decatur swap meets in the little town of Bridgeport Tx. It is called Yesterday's and the décor it 1950 theme that is heavy into that era car culture, movies & music. Great food also. they even have a car show there once a year but currently cannot locate that flyer. Google will find them for you. Jimmie

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I think Emma Jean's Cafe was on Diner's - Drive In's and Dives.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I came upon at dusk messing around the roads coming from El Mirage. The interior lights were dim but the place just looked as if it were let up for all to see. It was closed since they do only breakfast and lunch closed on Sundays. But since it got my eye so damn well I had to go back. Good food but be prepared to wait. Seating is limited.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The Cruise In Country Diner is near me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. LAROKE

LAROKE

9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

There a fifties themed one in Newport Oregon and the kids meal comes in a cardboard 57 Chevy. There is a hot rodder in Florence Oregon that owns a restaurant. Ruby's in San Diego is a neat 50's style dinner.

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It's been said that it's closed now.

chryslerfan55 and jnaki like this.
  12. pkhammer

pkhammer

The Pink Cadillac Diner just off I-81 near Natural Bridge Va. 50's theme, juke box, decor of old records, movie posters and license plates. 50's era Caddy sitting outside.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. Gr8laker

Gr8laker
    from Michigan

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  14. dwollam

dwollam

Hot Rod Cafe in Monitor (Wenatchee) Washington. Great people and a great place to eat.

Dave

15. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

[​IMG]

The Red Horse, here in Eburg...great burgers and more gas and oil crap then you'd care to see at any one time. Cool place.

16. hudson48

hudson48

Here is one not far from me(about an hour) Ricks Garage at Palmwoods Qld on the Sunshine Coast. Ricks Garage 2.jpg

17. I was quite surprised some years ago to stop in a Burger King, of all things, on NY-96 in Victor NY and find it had a 50s theme complete with a vintage gas pump and other auto related stuff. I've seen McDonalds done that way but never a BK.

But, they appear to have remodeled it since then. I wonder what happened to all the stuff?

18. Bert's 50's Diner, Mechanicsville, Maryland. 132135_445816295457615_2117482034_o.jpg

19. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

If you need a 50's diner in San Diego, drive to Point Loma at the Liberty Station area. Within this huge complex, there is a very cool place called the Corvette Diner. It is located in the Northern end of the large Liberty Station, ex-military base. We have been coming to Liberty Station since 2012 and have eaten there many times. Our granddaughter loved the black light room in the restaurant with all the cool posters and music.

“Liberty Station is a mixed-use development in San Diego,California on the site of the former Naval Training Center San Diego. It is located in the Point Loma community of San Diego. It has a waterfront location, on a boat channel off of San Diego Bay, just west of the San Diego Airport and a few miles north of Downtown San Diego. The 361-acre project includes several distinct districts: a retail and commercial district, a promenade focused on nonprofit activities, an educational district, a residential district, a hotel district, an office district, and a park/open space area along the boat channel.”

“The Naval Training Center site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and many of the individual structures are designated as historic by the city of San Diego. Dozens of the historical buildings are being adapted for stores, offices, schools, and other purposes.”

“The project started when the Navy announced in 1993 that it was closing the San Diego training center. The City of San Diego created a 27-member commission to determine what to do with the site. The commission developed and the city accepted a detailed plan that served as the basis for a request for quotation from a master developer; The Corky McMillin Company was selected. The base closed with a ceremony on March 21, 1997.”

“In November 2012, Phase Two of the renovation was completed, bringing the total number of buildings successfully adapted to fifteen. The nonprofit NTC Foundation oversees the development of the historic and nonprofit area.”

"This is the largest historical preservation project in San Diego and it's also the city's largest arts and culture project in terms of size and scope. It's been slow and steady. But we'll get it done."

Jnaki
    In the past year, the development has jumped across the other side of the bay inlet channel and is now building several resorts and restaurants, expanding the whole Liberty Station complex. The area still has room to grow.

This hot rod influenced restaurant (Corvette Diner) is complete with a full size Corvette next to the booths inside. The atmosphere is certainly, jumping the whole time anyone is dining there.
    upload_2018-12-30_4-6-21.png upload_2018-12-30_4-6-40.png
    Corvette Diner intermission

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-in-a-restaurant.1055493/page-2#post-11977422 Corvette Diner, Liberty Station, San Diego Point Loma region

(The same company that created the Corvette Diner in 1986, is responsible for the latest restaurant on the bay of San Diego, The Coasterra. The food and views are to envy, while messing about the huge San Diego Bay. It is a great, hot rod photo op site any time before 5 P.M.)

Note: As far as a Ruby’s car related restaurant is concerned, you will have to drive an hour and 30 minutes North to Laguna Beach from San Diego, for the only 50’s Diner with actual 50’s-60’s cars parked out in front on a permanent basis. In South Laguna Beach, this Ruby’s Restaurant has been the ONLY one with actual hot rods and cruisers on display in So Cal.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/a-cool-roadside-attraction.1091473/page-14#post-12478366

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  20. We ate at a Ruby's dinner. It was at the end of the Huntington beach pier. Had a cool 50s theme, and great HAMBurgers and fries.;) Ron....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

21. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I haven't got a chance to check this one out yet. Fins Drive-In. Springfield, Oregon.
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I'm at Ruby's at Huntington Pier a lot my self. Good burgers.

chryslerfan55 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  23. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I'm drinking coffee out of my Cruise In mug right now. We really like that place.

chryslerfan55 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  24. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

That is cool since the kids have the most fun in those places that serve hot rod related items along with the meal. In So Cal, Ruby’s Diners have a complimentary, pop out, paper hot rod that can be put together at the table while the order is being made. Sometimes, those pop out cars are somewhat difficult for the younger kids.

Our granddaughter loved getting one each time we ate at Ruby’s. By the time she was in elementary school, she could put together the pop out model by herself. Prior to that, I had to pop out the colorful 50’s-60’s car/hot rod for assembly. Yea, for Grandpa!
    upload_2019-1-27_3-51-15.png
    There are several Ruby’s Diners that have different color décor, (Including the one in South Laguna Beach with the 50s-60s cars out in front)
    upload_2019-1-27_4-3-35.png
    But, some are still red and white, while others have changed over to the brownish color and seating areas.

Jnaki

upload_2019-1-27_3-52-9.png
    Ruby's Diner at the Citadel in Los Angeles, CA (old Uniroyal classic building)
    upload_2019-1-27_3-53-50.png
    The ever popular, Carlsbad, CA Outlets location.

As far as a cardboard container for food is mentioned, the other 50s-60s car related restaurants in So Cal is Woody’s Diner. There are many different locations, with the original, near the Donut Derelict's Saturday car show.

upload_2019-1-27_3-56-22.png
    Big fry, small fries...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/friday-art-show-8-17-18.1118511/#post-12696082