Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods ideas on a third brake light

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ahshoe, Dec 27, 2018.

1. ahshoe

ahshoe

For safety , I want to put a third brake light in the rear window of my '56 F100 pickup. I do not want one on the license plate frame and don't want a LED style. Looking for something traditional even though they did not come with one. Looking for ideas pictures,etc.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Something "traditional" will be ugly, and obvious...and outside the cab, not inside the cab. Might even look like it was originally intended to go on a big truck or a trailer.

But it sounds like that's not what you want, is it?

Weird A likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

possibly look at trailer lights - rectangle with frame that you can install into cab below rear window - yep, LED can be offensive to classic builds - but, the extra light needs to be brite enough to be seen or will not do it's job

ClayMart likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

you could add another set of stock tail lights near the top of the bed sides, at the back, above the originals. Might do what you want, and would look funky, but also not too funky.

Cosmo50 and 46international like this.

5. Terrible80

Terrible80

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I don't know your back window size. Lets just say for now it's a small window. There is lot's of tin to put an oe tail below the window. What type? That's for you to decide.
    [​IMG]
    Example- one of these?
    [​IMG]

Cosmo50 likes this.
  7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

How about some hidden ones slightly hidden up in the holes where the top of the bed sides roll over into a pipe shape, not noticeable until the brake lights come on???

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Whac-A-Mole

Bandit Billy likes this.
  9. Dirk35

Dirk35

Take it for what it's worth, but this is what I did. You can take from it what you wish or discount it totally since I did indeed use a LED 3rd brake light. I wanted something traditional like you stated also, but after searching and searching, I couldn't come up with anything that either wasn't visible/bright enough, or didn't take up a lot of space in the rear window. And I didn't want to French once those kits into the back of the cab because to me, they look even more "street-roddy".

So I used one of those slim 3rd brake light LEDs aftermarket thingys and made my own bracket to mount it as I didn't like how it's bracket was made. It would had had to screw through the rubber strip of the rear window sill. They are typically made to mount into a garnish molding, and as you know, the newer 1950s vehicles had rear windows held in with a pinch weld and rubber weather molding.

It doesn't look that bright during the day (see attached picture), but its bright enough to get noticed, and it doesn't reflect too much against the rear window at night.

I plan to blend it in more (painted body color, or interior trim color) once I get the truck painted. But, Ill cross that bridge when I get there. I've got most of the interior in the truck, and most people don't even notice it.

1949 Ford PU Brake Light inside.JPG
    1949 Ford PU Brake Light outside 1.JPG 1949 Ford PU Brake Light outside 2.jpg 1949 Ford PU Brake Light bracket plan.JPG 1949 Ford PU Brake Light bracket 1.JPG 1949 Ford PU Brake Light bracket 2.JPG 1949 Ford PU Brake Light bracket 3.JPG

10. lilmann

lilmann

I’ve always liked the hood emblem on the 56 Fords, kind of like a crest.

What if you took one and machined out the insides and used a clear resin for the “lense” and put a couple red LEDs ?

Then it’ll match the truck....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

deadbeat, Dixon Bastie and KoolKat-57 like this.
  11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

12. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

I had a 1934 ford pickup with stock 12 v. tail lights...wife wanted a third brake light. I used a very old chrome semi trailer side marker light with a LED bulb inside. Worked great and look good also(very bright). Speedway motors sells all types of vintage LED tail lights and that alone will solve your safety concerns. I have an old semi side marker light I would donate if you pay the shipping. P.M. me if interested. I could send you a picture. Gary

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

A model A tail light in the bed might work. If doing body work theres lots of options on ways to sink one into the metal and make it look factory. Some of the options shown aren't hard, and look good. I bought a few different varieties for mine, and still never made up my mind on one. Maybe I'll get it done this winter

14. goldmountain

goldmountain

Just had to get in on this one. Here's "traditional". You could even go as far as including turn signals in the '57 Chev bombsights! Scan-181227-0001.jpg

GuyW, williebill and Bandit Billy like this.
  15. With the way the morons drive now days I opted for safety over tradition and put an LED strip I bought at O'Reillys in the bottom of my back window. Can't really see it until it lights up with the brakes on.

Oldb, GuyW, Shadow Creek and 2 others like this.
  16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

We'll hold up. There were brake light options a plenty that had words on them like "STOP" or "SLOW" and "SLO". Hollywood Accessories had a art deco one about 12 inches long. I would have to get mine out and measure and take a pic.

GuyW likes this.
  17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Put the third light of your choice in the tailgate. It’s closer to the tailgater.

Bones

Ford52PU, blowby, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You find some once in awhile at a swap meets and on epay.

19. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

i.rant likes this.
  20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I vote LED....Think on it and you will find a way to mount a 3rd brake light..One on Shoebox is invisible in day time unless lite..Crosley is barely visible when off; mounted on a piece of thin alum slid between glass and weather strip rubber..Can remove easily when parked at show, I don't bother..

Attached Files:

robracer1 and hotrodharry2 like this.
  21. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I lucked out on my 41 Plymouth. I used THE brake light as the 3rd brake light.

0927181012.jpg

wicarnut, GuyW, Greaser Bob and 14 others like this.
  22. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

I opted for Subtle...

7-Brake Light (2).JPG

BigO, GuyW, Greaser Bob and 15 others like this.
  23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Getting rear-ended is traditional.

curbspeed, GuyW, Frankie47 and 7 others like this.
  24. Dennis D

Dennis D

I put led's in this. D

Attached Files:

25. I really don't think a 3rd brake light makes too much difference with the typical moron texting on the phone, I have been reared ended twice this year in our delivery van and it has the 3rd light. HRP

26. I am looking at a strip of this stuff- (this stuff is waterproof, but you can get non-waterproof stuff which is smaller)
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-30m-R...eb7e9d2d7:m:mlVPt-hJT8Sgp23qeEC2Pgg:rk:4:pf:0
    I am thinking of mounting it across the bottom of the back window of my sedan.
    I know it looks like crap, but so would I, as the wrecker tows my car away after being hit up the jacksy by a modern-day moron.

27. Randy was stopped for the light when he was hit by a guy texting. HRP

[​IMG]

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

29. cshades

cshades
    from wi

heres what I am using on my 39 truck as a 3rd brake light. just got it back from the chromer and ready to assemble

Attached Files:

• $_57.jpg
      $_57.jpg
      File size:
      40.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    reagen, curbspeed, deadbeat and 2 others like this.