Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Am I being too picky

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Dec 24, 2018.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Been wanting to find another 2 door to build as a new long distance cruiser and was offered a trade of a 49 Pontiac 2 door sedan for my o/t Bronco,got to look at it the other day and all the stainless trim is off and the bumpers and the grille all have been blasted and primered plus someone had sanded it down and just put on primer and since its been sitting outside for the last few years is getting a bunch of surface rust. I do not care if it does not have a interior since I do that but where would I find all the clips to put the trim back on and would take me forever to find bumpers and grille that have usable chrome since I do not have the cash to send them to the platers,it would also need to be stripped and put in epoxy primer and sprayed with cheap paint until I can get to it so I think I am going to pass on it. If I could just find one that still has decent paint and some shine to the chrome and nothing taken off.

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I agree it can be a huge hassle to find trim and clips and hardware. It is really up to you whether or not it is worth it. This is where a parts car comes in handy.

Spooky likes this.
  3. A guy really doesn't know what's under the chrome and stainless on an old car so if it's already off, great. You can take a good look to see what's there. I'd love to have a 49 or 50 Pontiac 2 door or a coupe....hell, even a 50 Catalina hardtop. The 1950 grill was better looking than the 49 IMHO. I'd rather have the manual trans car for the pedals and linkage.
    We have a place in town that specializes in molding clips. Helped me get rocker molding clips for my 41 Pontiac coupe.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

@Rocky, could you post the info for the molding clip place?

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

AUVECO is a company that supplies A Big selection of Automotive Clips & fasteners

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  6. It's Iowa, Nebraska Fastener.
    Omaha, Nebraska

s55mercury66 likes this.
  7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Thanks guys, Auveco is one I'm familiar with, and it's always good to have a lot of options.

rockable likes this.
  8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I would rather have this
    upload_2018-12-25_7-12-8.jpeg

Sky Six, badgascoupe, Spooky and 3 others like this.
  9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

...or this, or any of your other vehicles if your true goal is a long distance cruiser project
    upload_2018-12-25_7-15-54.jpeg
    ...but if you are really just wanting another project, thats a different story:D

Spoggie likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

These days, I'd rather start with a car that's all together, and not take it apart...just do what is needed to get it rolling safely, and work on fixing "comfort" stuff such upholstery and window channel and weatherstripping, as I go.

I think you did the right thing.

arkiehotrods, swade41, Spooky and 7 others like this.
  11. belair

belair

You are not too picky, you are being SMART. ALWAYS start with the most car you can. Sounds like the Poncho is well below a good starting point, if you want to finish it in a reasonable time and for reasonable $$$. And the stainless trim on those cars found their way on to Chevys. Hard to find. I would keep looking.

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I might end up fixing this one,it looks better in the pics then it actually is and needs a trunk floor and someone who is better at body work to fix the roof where someone sat on it. I am kicking my self in the ass for selling the wagon but needed some cash about 5 years ago and was tired of renting a garage to store it so I let it go,I got the wagon to drive while I was working on the sunliner but did not think too far ahead that I would need something to drive when I actually finished the sunliner that needs paint. The PO of the wagon did not put the correct woodgrain on it and it was actually cheap vinyl that I could not get too wet and it really needed to be done right which I was not looking forward to doing.

Bruce Fischer and low budget like this.
  13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

20 years ago I would have taken on a project like the 49 but not now,most of the old junkyards have closed up where I might have been able to find usable chrome and other small parts. I had a hard time finding clips for a 53 Olds I was working on in the 90s so I could imagine its even harder now,I did find a 49 fastback on craigslist that still had shiny chrome and original paint that I think yard drove for 2000 that would be a better deal. I am really looking for a 2 door version of the 4 door to build but all I have been able to find cheap are convertibles which I want to get away from for a driver since one does not lock one or the top will get slit if someone without a key wants in. I will probably have the sunliner down for a few years going over the body and will need something to drive and my 37 Chevy p/u is not going to be the one since the cab is way too small and when I did drive it for about 200 miles in one day I felt it for the rest of the week.

14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

@Rocky It`s NEIA Short for Nebraska Iowa Fasteners located in Omaha Nebraska.

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

Jeff, good choice to pass on the Pontiac basket case. Goods advice by others on starting with the best car you can find as it will save all kinds of time and money. Spending years repairing a rust bcket and trying to find all the little nit noid parts you would need IMG_0812.JPG for completion is no fun. Also make sure its a make and body style you could sell if you have to. I don't do rust buckets. Here's a picture of my 64 Biscayne a garage find after being stored for over 40 years and then sold in an estate sale. Original interior (with the exception of the front seat cover), paint, chrome and stainless. Only needed mechanical drive line upgrades, lowering, four wheel disc brakes and nice wheels and tires. Much better to be driving then fixing rust.

Gary

16. RmK57

RmK57

Have you seen the way first gen Broncos are appreciating in value ?

Bad move selling that imho.

atch and Spooky like this.
  17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The bronco is a 1988.

18. RmK57

RmK57

Gotcha, trade away then!

Spooky likes this.
  19. belair

belair

X2 on getting something you can sell later on. Be patient, save your pennies, and be able to pull the trigger when the right one comes along.

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It looks like I am going to wait until that mid 60s Galaxie I like and can afford comes along since I have the 4 door to use for parts,I have nothing in stock for that era of GM and sold off all the parts when I sold the 53 Olds. I never thought it would be this hard to find one I like.

21. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Why not be young and bold enough to rock that 4 door! I like it, 4 doors are more widely accepted among car guys than ever, and to be honest I think driving one made cool shows a lot of character in the owner;)
    Sure theres gonna be a price difference when buying and selling to consider but none of em seem to be cheap these days, so.....
    ....but anyway heres a project thats on Dayton C-list if you havent already saw it??? not that slick, but a project none the less.
    https://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/d/west-alexandria-1965-ford-ford-galaxy/6747601129.html

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I looked at it,its a parts car with a bad frame.

23. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Too bad it's rotten, that would be cool with a 390 like the Ohio Flying Tire Salesmen had back then. That was also around the time they went to all 4 door white cars. What is in it now? 240 and a 3 speed?

24. RmK57

RmK57

IMG_1961.JPG Years ago I had the identical car to this, the lowly Custom. Rubber floor mats, no radio, not much of any options, It did have a 289, c-4 though. Would be the perfect car to make a sleeper out of.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  25. The clips to hold the trim is a non issue, you don't have to use the original equipment clips, I installed every piece of trim on the wagon with the universal buttery fly clips. HRP

[​IMG]

26. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Yeah depending on asking price of Pontiac, complete running cars like this 65 Olds are available for under $3900.00. And it can be driven now. If your Bronco is usable now I would wait until you find that car that does it for you.

Pat

Attached Files:

27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

This is what I want.

28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Body wise the Pontiac is not too bad but its way more then update the drivetrain and brakes and go,just too much then what I want to get involved with right now. Fixing the 65 moredoor would be a easier fix then the Pontiac and might have to do it but a 2 door would be nice.

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

302 and 3 speed and do have a 4 speed I can drop in as soon as I get a shifter.

30. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You can see his Bronco in his Avatar.