Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Thanks to you we are getting a free beginners course in nitro use from a MASTER. :rolleyes:

2. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I'm fascinated by the machining and associated fixturing.

loudbang and racer-x like this.
  3. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Looks like it is coming back together. Will it really be that easy to switch over to nitro? I would look twice if I was along side of ya and all of a sudden the exhaust sound changed.
    I tried to get ahold of the engine builder, last weekend to spend some time machining on my motor, but no go, never got back to me. Seems like it is in machine shop jail for the. Its kinda frustrating but nothing I can do. I look at it as the same as autobody jail.
    I am at the point that I need a block, to start putting things where they need.
    Tony

loudbang and Gammz like this.
  4. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Brian thanks for taking the time to post this stuff there are people who pay close attention and really do learn from the info you share And Tony I hear ya buddy I have a crankshaft that has been at machine shop jail since the H.A.M.B. Drags but i look at it this way the good ones are hard to get to do things as they really take the extra time needed to do it right especially for my small budget

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

enloe, loudbang, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  5. Tony on the way down to pri stop by and grab a block. I have both styles marine and passenger car. You can borrow one for mock up. Roger is usually running a machine or porting a head so it's hard to hear the phone with ear protection.

chryslerfan55, enloe and loudbang like this.
  6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Now you’ll need a way to purge all the spent oil after a Nitro burn into a aluminum moon catch tank. Simultaneously injecting equal amounts of fresh oil for the next wiseacre that rolls your way. Oh the fools who have no clue.
    Don’t know about the plugs, valve lash, torque checks and what not though.

chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  7. I have to think only a true brainless twit would pick on the coupe at a stop light.:eek::D LOL. The sight of the car alone should let anybody know, you are serious .

loudbang likes this.
  8. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I suppose the guy that might rev his engine would likely be hoping to get a birds eye view of what the coupe will do!

9. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Mikey there are lots of those people on the roads these days lol it is proven to me every time I drive down the road lol

10. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D You Sir are very naughty:rolleyes::p.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. Merry Christmas to all. 20181222_170303.jpg

12. Merry Christmas to you Brian. I hope to see you on Drag Week 2019 if I can get my junk ready. I am working on the coupe, even today. LOL

chryslerfan55, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Merry Christmas! My son wad’d up the front right axle of his little hot wheel. I didn’t have the heart to show ya.

14. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Merry Christmas, Brian; & a Faster New Year! :D .
    Marcus...

15. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Just like Brian:eek:

Rebuild it with him, just like Brian:D

16. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of the HAMB'rs!

17. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Tell him to back the nitro down some.

Mike look up the summit midwest drag race. It's a three day drag week like event. It starts June 4th. It run at tracks in Indiana that finishes in norwalk Ohio. I just received word from my boss that I can have off to attend. It would be a great test and tune.

I have been spending alot of time organizing a event at George Ray's on may 19th. This will be a trip back in time. The track is something you really have to see in person. It's hard to believe a place like this still exists in today's world. We will be doing fire burnouts while there. Its turning into a big event so I hope to see everyone there. I have a thread going on it called who's interested in racing at George rays.

The engine is freshened up ready to go back in. I hope to start it mid February.

So far the schedule has us at
    Hilton head sc March 30th
    George Ray's may 19th
    Summit midwest race June 4-7th
    Meltdown mid July
    Drag week september.

chryslerfan55, enloe, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Brian.Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas and a happy,healthy,safe and prosperous New Year.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

19. loudbang

loudbang

Your Coupe is the right color for Christmas :)

20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    This pic just needs presents resting at the front end.
    Maybe a photoshop of Mark wearing a Santa hat.

21. The car received a few presents. New mh 12x16 slicks; rcd breathers; 170# coil springs; oil cooler. How did Santa ever know what it needed?

22. 20181231_130104.jpg 20181231_144131.jpg You guys have made it clear you like the tech stuff I post so here's some more. This is all about burst panels and maintainance. The burst panels are mandatory in the faster blown classes. The street version uses springs and a pop off plate. There purpose is to relieve pressure if there is any kind of back fire on the intake side. There is alot of fuel being injected into the manifold. If anything on the intake valve train should fail a valve could be open when the cylinder fires. It would light all this fuel and cause a big explosion. The blast could break the manifold. The blower could also go flying off the engine. There are several safety items that are required. The burst panels are perforated on the inside so they break under pressure. The blower studs are aluminum to shear. Between these two items the pressure is relieved in the manifold. Blower straps hold the blower on the engine. All parts are sfi rated. checking the stretch of the panel is regular maintainance. A depth micrometer shows in the first picture the panel has stretched. Picture two shows the new panel in place. The old panel stretched .100 over time. It's easy to see its bowed out. The more boost generated requires more frequent changing of the panel. Pro teams change them after each run. when a panel blows out there is usually a fire ball that flies out to. on a late model hemi the plug wires going to the drivers side go in front of were the panel is located on the manifold. to prevent them from being melted we wrap the wires in a fire proof material. sometimes the explosion is so big the panel cuts a wire or two as it comes apart. ATTACH=full]4144231[/ATTACH] View attachment 4144232

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  23. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Brian, does the panel burst out a little each time or did it do that in one run? Do you know when it happened, or what caused this one to bulge. I assume you didn't wreck any valve train. Im getting closer with every part that shows up, cant wait to get back home and get started on it.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  24. Good tech post on the burst panel Brian. I saw Mike F. blew his panel out on Drag Week 2018, no damage to his blown hemi. He replaced panel and continued on .

25. They stretch a little every time they are at max boost. They stretch even more with each small pop through the intake. Tony all those little pops trying to start the car at rock falls in the 30 degree air are bad on a panel. They were not enough to blow out the panel but they did stretch it.

26. The chassis has been cleaned and sealed. The front end is polished. The engine is ready to go. It time to put some pieces together. 20190101_140222.jpg 20190101_162915.jpg

27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Man Brian, that's looking good!

Dog_Patch and racer-x like this.
  28. I have been in a polishing mode for over a month. I have done all the wheels; engine block; rear suspension; fuel tank and a number of smaller parts. Once the car comes apart everything gets cleaned and checked out. It will look nice when it's all back together.

29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Labor of Lust, Great Job!!!!

30. The promoter is using a pic of our car for the upcoming street car race in June. This event is similar to drag weeks event. The biggest difference is this event is a three day event and they have a money payout. Brian Kohlmann.jpg