Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod Camping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 19, 2018.

1. upspirate

upspirate

Surge disc brakes work well on my 4500 boat rig.
    You don't need any special hook-up, (other than a wire going to the back-up light to lock out the brakes when backing up....can get around this by putting a pin in the coupler though) And you can tow with other vehicles with just a hitch

brEad likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. Panel truck......I did stay in the back of my '60 El Camino at the Pomona swap but the last time the rain really sucked.

brEad, Boatmark and oliver westlund like this.
  4. This beast had a 327 3spd with Vette finned alum valve covers. I had it at the hot rod reunion in Bowling Green a couple times.

01F5F5FC-64C1-4AFF-9354-8660C725EAB4.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    wicarnut, oldsjoe, 65ny and 5 others like this.
  5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Tbird is a heavy car, should be ok towing a light trailer with no brakes. Just don't apply the brakes in a curve, while going down hill, in the rain. The trailer could push the back end sideways. Slow down at the top of the hill.

upspirate likes this.
  6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I found that VW on YouTube a few years back and always wondered if it would be possible to construct a similar trailer and hook it up to the roof of a really low hot rod.
    Something like a roll bar on a T bucket or a chopped and channelled T coupe etc.

Boneyard51 and blowby like this.
  7. I built these. 1 for my bro & his wife, 1 for me that i plan to sell. Pics from Sept camping in SE Missouri.

Attached Files:

woodsnwater, oldsjoe, Tim and 7 others like this.
  8. Very nice work. HRP

brEad likes this.
  9. upspirate

upspirate

I saw one of these like you describe back in the '80's here in Fla at either Daytona, or I think maybe Tampa NSRA Nats s/e. It was on a chopped channeled lowered sedan's roof and was like a 5th wheel type trailer

10. upspirate

upspirate

11. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

I thought the same thing but a couple of the guys on one of the T bird forums said that it's to dangerous and you can't get stopped . Thanks

12. The T bird shouldn't have any problems with a light weight trailer, electric brakes kits are available and are not expensive if you feel like you need them. HRP

brEad likes this.
  13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you want to be sure you could hitch it up and try it out. Worst case, you need to get brakes for the trailer. Last time I looked you could buy brakes for $80 or the whole axle complete with springs for $300.

brEad likes this.
  14. Here's a cool one, was built from a 4 door and a trailer. scott's 188.jpg scott's 190.jpg scott's 187.jpg

15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-1-14_3-53-25.png
    Hot rod travel influence in Ojai, CA window shopping.
    (A 49 mercury chopped sedan towing an Airstream trailer is about 1:12 scale being 15 inches long each.)

Hello,

When we were window shopping in Ojai during Thanksgiving Vacation, this model reminded us of one of our goals. It is to rent an Airstream Travel Trailer located in the deep woods of Northern California. Those Airstream trailers are all over the state parks and beaches in California. But, during the high season, reservations are a must, especially in those popular beachside locations.
    upload_2019-1-14_3-54-12.png
    So, going to those “not so popular”, but accessible Airstream Trailers located in the woods is to our liking. Since summer is the high season, we will probably go during the spring or fall, staying away from the school/college vacation days.

Jnaki

What prompted us to do travel trailer vacation stays? Maybe, it was growing up in a tiny trailer, when we first moved to Long Beach in 1946, that kept the memories going. When we go to a local, mini, "anti-mal" in So Cal, there is an Airstream Trailer set up for selling LP Albums and record players/speakers. It is so cool, as it is not your normal MALL shopping excursion. That is why it is called the "Anti-Mall." But, for the last two Thanksgiving Vacations, we have been staying in the Kimpton Goodland Resort in Goleta, CA.
    upload_2019-1-14_3-55-16.png An Airstream trailer named: Rita Hayworth. It does have some fine lines…

During our stay, we always sit in the Airstream Trailer located on the driveway entrance. What is is used for? Just another place on the grounds to curl up and read/write quietly. The seats were comfortable and the trailer was set up like most Airstreams for day/evening use. This one is for the resort residents as an added place to hang out, quietly.

Https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ailer-rally-2017.1082382/page-3#post-12325205
    upload_2019-1-14_3-56-16.png
    Well, over the last several months, actually years, I have been hearing about staying in an Airstream Trailer out in the woods or desert. We found one in Joshua Tree, but it was not dog friendly. So, I searched over the Christmas Vacation and finally got something to settle the notion of camping in an Airstream Trailer. (Reading about Jeff Thisted’s travels in a 55 Chevy two door wagon, spurred me to get something done.)

We had a “Secret Santa” event and upon seeing this gift, it said: “GOOD FOR A THREE NIGHT STAY IN AN AIRSTREAM TRAVEL TRAILER.” Locations to be determined, but the Russian River forested area or Yosemite Valley came to mind. We couldn’t buy a life sized, 55 Chevy wagon or an Airstream Travel Trailer. But, that certified note and the models will be like gold, until we are staying in one to satisfy the urge.
    upload_2019-1-14_3-56-55.png
    “Psst, Hey buddy, want some Christmas information on great presents and road trips?”

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    brEad and oliver westlund like this.
  16. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I'd like to find one of the 50s or 60s period truck toppers or camper shells, sometimes they are called. They look to be pretty scarce? They just look right, on the old Fords and Chevy.

17. 421-6Speed

421-6Speed

My 35 Coupe an 35 Kozy-Kamp.

Kozy-Kamp In Tow 3.jpg
    Kozy-Kamp.JPG

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

1oldtimer and Boneyard51 like this.
  19. No kidding, did it actually move?

20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

It’s for real! Last Summer we were at Lake Eufaula and saw it. Apparently his truck quit him on I-40 , so being the enterprising young man he was, he pulled his wife’s car under the fifth wheel, hooked it best he could and came on the 50-60 miles to the lake. He said he wasn’t going to miss the holidays at the lake for any reason!
    But.... the cops were waiting for him to pull out, heading 140 miles back to OKC, busted him as soon as he hit the state highway. Seems he had some warrants and went to the gray bar hotel.
    His rig got impounded, don’t know what happened after that!

Edit: The moderators got me! But I got 30 minutes! It was the wildest thing I had ever seen!

Bones

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Roothawg likes this.
  21. here is my camping rig 39 chevy and a new Aerolux Teardrop These come as build it yourself kits or you can buy one assembled. very cool only weighs 800 lbs I tow it at 80 MPH all the time tows awesome 8 1/2 feet long inside 53" wide inside queen size mattress fits too I'm building a kitchen/galley inside the rear door this spring The red one belongs to my buddy David Coons pulled by a 47 Buick woody IMG_8072.JPG

Attached Files:

22. Camping in cars = Drive-in movie. Lets go.

wicarnut and oldsjoe like this.
  23. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg Up in Maine.

wicarnut, oldsjoe and UNCLECHET like this.
  24. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Commando Style ! USMC in the field , Skivies are for Sailors !

oldsjoe and i.rant like this.
  25. tmf

tmf

Here is my setup. Weight is the same for the van and the car 1400 kg each not sure what that converts to. Electric brakes on the van. IMG_4121.jpg

wicarnut, oldsjoe, kbgreen and 2 others like this.
  26. RDR

RDR

Rally on the River at Brownsville Oregon..30 year reunion for "Stand By Me" movie which was filmed there. Wifes' 58 Biscayne and Spartan Manor. Fun weekend ! DSCF3266.JPG DSCF3237.JPG

wicarnut, oldsjoe, brEad and 2 others like this.
  27. 1947 Buick Woody with a matching Aerolux Teardrop Camper Belongs to my Buddy David, car is all original and Trailer is a Kit Trailer I have a Blue Aerolux Teardrop Camper that I pull with a 39 Chevy (not original), Another Buddy John has a Ratrod 51 Chevy Panel and he tows a brown/bronze Aerolux Teardrop Camper Kits are from AeroluxTrailers

Attached Files:

wicarnut, MO_JUNK, oldsjoe and 2 others like this.
  28. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jalopy Showdown 2012...…..Cadillac Camping

caddy camping.jpg

oldsjoe likes this.
  29. 47 Buick woody pulling an Aerolux Teardrop Camper, The Woody is original but the Trailer is not old It was built from a fiberglass TrailerKit IMG_0566 (3).JPG Kit Teardrop Campers are Great They are very roomy inside and light weight this one only weighs 800lbs tows awesome,

Attached Files:

30. Hey 29Moonshine nice old chevy Panel What year is it I have two of them both 34's