Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stocker on 15’s

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Retson the Racer, Dec 22, 2018.

1. I’m considering picking up some 15’s. 5.00/8.90-15s. Is anyone running those on stock suspension? Curious how they will look with either stock or a few leafs removed. IMG_1112.JPG IMG_0849.JPG IMG_1113.JPG

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'll bite.....what kind of car are we talking about??

Tim and clem like this.
  3. Mine is a bone stock ‘30 Sport Coupe. Bumpers have been removed

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. alchemy

alchemy

Way too much space between the tire and fender if all you do is remove a couple leaves. At least reverse the eyes and flatten the front a bit.

5. I was thinking of removing four leafs in the rear, two in the front, and torching the main leafs. This is a budget car to zip around town in

6. Remember if you run solid rims with hubs and drums designed for mechanical brakes you will probably need a support ring. The wheels will bolt on and look like they fit unless you look carefully. Without the ring they may fall off later (probably at the worst time). See https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/40-ford-wheels-on-a-model-a.750368/#post-8330045

Charlie Stephens

7. Similar to running wire on hydraulic brakes. Definitely will get the rings if I get them!!

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Doubt the "A" motor will pull 8.90s in high gear … amazed to learn they're available.
    The ribbed tires appear to be farm implement type, not legal for highway use.

Retson the Racer likes this.
  9. It’s been done! It’s the hotrodders overdrive!
    They are actually DOT approved!

10. Hnstray likes this.
  11. On the ribbed ones? They’re roughly a year old

12. alchemy

alchemy

Regarding the support rings: it's basically the opposite. The stock A hubs have support nubs or rings inside of the studs. This supports the inboard surface of the stock A thru 35 wire wheels. If you run later wheels you could remove this inboard support to create a flat surface for the new wheels. A careful couple hours with a die grinder should do the trick.

13. Please strongly reconsider heating the springs to lower it, I assume that’s what you mean by torching the mainleaf. It’s a good way to have a broken spring

14. triumph 1

triumph 1

Not sure if this helps at all but;
    I’m running the same 5.00-15’s
    And 8.20-15’s IMG_0572.JPG

Surfcityrocker and alanp561 like this.
  15. Awesome, thanks!

16. Interesting, thanks for the heads up!

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I've never run the ribbed farm implement type tires, but everyone I know that tried them wound up taking them off.

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Look like Firestone dirt tracker fronts not tractor tires. And I can’t find anyone who runs them and doesn’t love them.

triumph 1 likes this.
  19. Same here, I know quite a few people running these, and they love them!

20. Weird, why is that? Were they racing?

21. triumph 1

triumph 1

X2

22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

They are Coker's tires, Firestone in name only because they sold the molds and a license to use the Firestone name to Coker. Quality on their tires is sorta hit or miss concerning roundness and balance.
    To their credit, I understand the newer designs they now have for radial tires that look like bias plies are pretty good. Also, the bias plies I took off my roadster last summer were as hard as a rock, durometer wise.
    Even if you do get a good set, they were designed for oval dirt tracks, and getting a good grip while turning left on dirt. There is a huge amount of the contact patch used up with the very wide grooves and they are useless for braking on pavement.

302GMC likes this.
  23. lamaison

lamaison
    from Canada

Here's a picture showing what 8.90 X 15's look like on the rear. This roadster has a couple of spring leaves removed and reversed spring mounting eyes.

You need to consider what offsets you need on the rims you use in order to keep the tires inside the fenders but not cause clearance issues with the body. Thin adapter plates are available for mounting solid rims onto 28-35 hubs.

You also need to consider how the small tires on the front end will blend in with those on the rear with or without any spring modifications, etc. Definitely not straight forward and unless thought out could look terrible. Mounting the tires and bolting them on just to see how they look and fit might be the only way to see how they suit you or what else is needed.

Attached Files:

24. I’ll be mounting the wheels with adapters. What do you mean blending the front and rear?