Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead Ford Two sending units one Gauge will it work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Raunchy, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Raunchy

Raunchy

On a flathead Ford V8 since there are two separate water systems a lot of people run two temp. gauges. Would it be possible to run through a switch and have two electric sending units wired into one gauge? I don't have anything but mechanical temp gauges and I am not that familiar with electric. I don't think I have ever even wired an electric one in. It would be on a blown flathead with an alternator and serpentine belts so I an not worried about the period correct thing running an electric gauge. I am thinking there might be feedback from one side to the other.

2. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Yes, if the electric senders both electrically match the electric gauge chosen. A single pole, double throw (SPST) toggle switch works for this situation (only one sender is connected to the gauge at a time, so there is no "feedback").

stillrunners, Hnstray and Truck64 like this.
  3. Raunchy

Raunchy

Well that was easy enough. Thanks

4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't want to have 2 seperate gauges so you can see at a glance what the temp is on both sides instead of having to switch it to see?

5. Raunchy

Raunchy

The gauge panel I want to run doesn't have enough holes.

6. That's is exactly what I did.
    Mounted the switch behind the gauge. IMG_20150902_161342.jpg

Texas Webb and Hnstray like this.
  7. Raunchy

Raunchy

Thanks for the picture. If the dash is installed is the switch easy to reach there?

8. Yes it works well. I did one for a customer like that last year. The gauge package he wanted to use only had one temp gauge so I ordered another sending unit and wired it all together with a switch to have the gauge reading only one sending unit at a time.

Raunchy likes this.
  9. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

i wired mine as Trailer Trash Too suggested. It has worked trouble free for three years.

Raunchy likes this.
  10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I seem to remember a pic of a gauge that had two needles, one for each side. If you could find one of those dual gauges you wouldn't need a switch, you could see both at the same time....

11. Slopok

Slopok

Henry used only one gauge, was he wrong?

12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Don't ask me, I'm running dual mechanicals.

13. phoneman

phoneman
    from Missouri

The way Henry did it one sending unit was basically a switch that completed the circuit to the other normal sending unit. If the switch side activated the circuit went open and the gauge went to full hot.

stillrunners likes this.
  14. knucklenutz

knucklenutz

I recently stared my blown Flathead for the first time. The blower is a H&H S.C.oT . The driver side pump pulley did not have enough of a belt wrap around. After two miles of driving, the second gauge told the tale and prevented possible failure.

Raunchy and stillrunners like this.
  15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you mean like this :
    WM-DUALTP (2).jpg

They were usually used on two cylinder snowmobile engines. I've been looking for one for a while now, but the only ones I have found measure exhaust temperature, not water temperature.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    stillrunners likes this.
  16. Andy

Andy

I wired my flathead with two senders and one gauge. I was surprised that there was a lag when switching senders. It took a little time for the new sender to read right. Worked fine.

Raunchy likes this.

17. Yup, just put hand under dash, click to either side.

Raunchy likes this.
  18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! Westach wants $122 for a dual gauge. I know it won't be much help to the O/P, but I'd look in a snowmobile Salvage Yard (yes, we do have them in Minnesota).

19. Raunchy

Raunchy

Thanks for all the ideas and opinions. I will go with the switch idea. It will work for me.

20. Raunchy

Raunchy

I never knew this all the motors I have pulled and dealt with had been hacked on before I got to them.

21. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

As stated SPDT switch with 2 senders, I did it on my Flattie and also used a SPDT switch for high and low beam headlight relay trigger. One suggestion is to mount the toggle sideways so it's easier to remember what side your reading.

22. Yes it would be totally possible with electric gauges. Use a 3 position switch closed open closed. Run each sender to a closed position on the switch, open no gauges closed #1 activates the #1 head and closed #2 activates the #2 head (or #1 and #2 senders if you prefer.)..

Raunchy likes this.
  23. Thanks for all the reply's....kinda was my thoughts on the approach to monitor both the banks of my flattie......

Raunchy likes this.