Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod Camping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 19, 2018.

1. mnjeff

mnjeff

89EAD30D-F264-4FF1-A251-64CB73792816.jpeg 2626B6BB-B4C2-4D94-917F-F05FF05788BF.jpeg 53DAC7B3-EA07-49C9-9C71-A6DCB2936C9C.jpeg Great thread!
    I am tired of motels. Just retired, and the redhead says that we need to try pulling a camper. OK, I say, but...I gotta have AC, heat, access to a shower every day, my TV, no canvas, no bugs, it has to be compact-I am not dragging the frickin Titanic down the highway, it has to be vintage, cheap, and I gotta be able to pull it with the Willys or the Econoline...Good Luck, kid....A short Google visit, and a shorter C-list visit later, and I now have two 70’s Apache hard sided pop ups in the shop. (Just had to marry the smart one, didn’t I?)
    I am customizing the smaller one, 1400 lbs., fun project, and am excited about spring.

MO_JUNK, oldsjoe, brEad and 4 others like this.
  2. topher5150

topher5150

Found this pic on a facebook group. It was taken at the Holland state park....Is that a Merc woodie?
    camping.jpg

wicarnut, oldsjoe, Tim and 2 others like this.
  3. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

I purchased this earlier in the year to go behind the Edsel IMG_3114.JPG

wicarnut, oldsjoe, kbgreen and 2 others like this.
  4. I Love It Jeff!!!....g-willys

5. Hogger

Hogger
    from Carvel AB

6. No disrespect intended.
    You are right, the car has all the equipment to tow a trailer.
    Just cuz you can doesn't mean you should, it's like pulling a trailer with a Rolls Royce, it will pull a trailer too, but rarly, if ever, is it done.
    It's your car & you can do whatever you want, it just looks odd to me.

7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

My Son and Girlfriend did a 2 week road trip last year, up/down the West coast, never once springing for a Motel. They utilized their gym membership ($10 monthly fee). Bring a small backpack in, do a workout/watch some TV, then shower up change clothes and hit the road. Some were 24 hour gyms so they arrived at night, changed out, then crashed in the lot. They slept in the shell equipped bed of their o/t pickup. Many Walmarts will let RV's campers crash in the lot. Some are 24 hours (bathroom run). There's websites regarding which W/M's are ok. Interstate rest stops are hit/miss. Norcal and Oregon are pretty decent and safe. CA State campsites are generally real cheap and some of the restrooms have coin op hot showers.

oldsjoe likes this.
  8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You know, I have thought seriously of pulling a trailer with a Rolls Royce. The inspiration was certain campgrounds policy of not allowing trailers or motorhomes over 10 years old. I wonder what would happen if you showed up with a Rolls pulling an Airstream, over 10 years old.

It's not so nutty. You can buy a Rolls from the 80s or 90s in good shape, with no more than 50 or 60 thousand miles for $25,000 or so. That is the price of a used Toyota. They come with V8 engine, TurboHydramatic trans, and are generally a well built car. I think one would do great pulling a trailer.

oldsjoe and scotty t like this.
  9. topher5150

topher5150

Some day when I get the hot rod done I'd like to do the Michigan circle tour, but maybe bring a pop-up with and camp for a couple of days at the state camp grounds. I've noticed a lot of Meijer stores and Wal-Marts in Michigan have truckers, and campers sleeping over night in their parking lots too.

If you do that you need to get a buddy to dress up in a suite and chauffeur you into the campground.
    What kind of campground doesn't let you use a camper older than 10 years old that is so weird. We went to the state park last year and there were a couple of younger guys setting up camp with their beat up yellow 73 Mustang

10. Like this?:D

Avion-Rolls.jpg
    or this HAMB friendly version?;)
    51fpI472XaL.jpg

wicarnut, oldsjoe, kbgreen and 4 others like this.
  11. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

topher5150 and scotty t like this.
  12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Thanks Scotty T I tried to put that first pic in my post but couldn't get it to work.

scotty t likes this.
  13. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

[​IMG]

Do you need anything besides Horsepower and good brakes to tow a trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wicarnut, oldsjoe and brEad like this.
  14. upspirate

upspirate

Yes, vehicle weight! I towed a 51 Chev on a U-Haul trailer down here from Michigan with my 2900 lb 36 Chev P/U.
    350,turbo,disc/drum, surge brakes on trailer.....lots of power and stopping power and weight distribution on the trailer correct. Uphill and accelerating it was fine, braking was fine, but on the flat or downhill it would start fish-tailing bad. Had to hit brakes hard enough to engage the trailer brakes to stabilize.
    I swear if I wasn't a professional truck driver, I would have lost it

15. Attached Files:

oldsjoe, MO_JUNK and scotty t like this.
  16. I wouldn't argue the fact that Rolls can pull a trailer & if you are looking for people to stare in wonder & possibly ask "why" then that and a classic Corvette are a couple good examples.
    Hell,you could tow a trailer with a Ferrari..........

17. But a 32-3-4 ford is OK? A 50 ford is alright? What makes one capable car good and another not good?

18. Clik

Clik

Very cool.

wicarnut and von zipper like this.
  19. Hogger

Hogger
    from Carvel AB

20. topher5150

topher5150

fiftyv8, dirty old man and R A Wrench like this.
  21. Dimensions.

GuyW likes this.
  22. deucemac

deucemac

I have 4 sons and they loved to camp. I spent many a night in a tent on scout outings. A of them are grown now and raising there own families. Since their departure I have changed my opinion on camping. I now consider black and white tv as roughing it!

wicarnut and Speedwrench like this.
  23. Conrad*Hamburg

Conrad*Hamburg

Hello from Hamburg in Germany, this is my firt post...nice thread here.

Does anyone have a "hot rod" camper van (maybe a COE with flathead) with a trailer behind that carries the hot rod?
    This year I purchased a 2004 E350 to pull my 36 but that is not the way I want to do in the future.

[​IMG][​IMG]

GuyW likes this.
  24. upspirate

upspirate

Love that 36....Pull a small Fiberglass trailer with it.
    Actually, that's the exact car I wanted to built to tow a 'glass trailer as my retirement RV before my plans changed

25. Well I guess we should have asked you first.

26. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

why not drive the 36

upspirate likes this.
  27. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

Are you guys running electric brakes on the trailers ? The reason I ask is I have a popup with no brakes that I'm thinking about towing with my 60 T bird and it has drum brakes , not sure that it's a good idea to tow like that .

28. Conrad*Hamburg

Conrad*Hamburg

I did, but I do not like to sleep in a little tent.
    And when it rains I would like to have a place for some buddies and me to have some drinks.
    And unfortenatly it rains a lot here.

Sent from my SM-A520F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

Did with this set up. richards camera 006.jpg

wicarnut, oldsjoe, 208custom and 8 others like this.