Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help me get My Holley 390 carb to idle correctly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 19Fordy, Dec 20, 2018.

1. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I have a Holley 4160 390CFM 4bbl carb with vacuum secondaries on my
    1959 Ford 292 Y Block standard shift vehicle. I started the engine and the engine had it's usual curb idle of about 750 RPM. There is an inline filter at the carb and a filter mounted at the gas tank before the electric fuel pump.

Then, I shut it off and added some antifreeze. Restarted the engine and now the engine
    won't idle unless the curb idle is around 1100 RPM. I did not do anything else to the engine and
    never touched the carb. I don't think the anti-freeze has any bearing on the problem.

I don't want to start taking the carb apart without first having some idea about what might be causing the problem. The carb is about 10 years old and has always run great both at curb idle and on the road.

Any suggestions and info. are very much appreciated. Thanks.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Did it back fire through the air cleaner? Might have blown the power valve. Could have developed a leak in the float if it has brass floats. Check your float level.

Bones

porknbeaner and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Aaron65

Aaron65
    from Michigan

You might want to check to see if the secondaries might have somehow gotten stuck open a touch, although it seems unlikely considering you didn't touch the carb.

4. squirrel

squirrel

I think what he meant, is that if he lets off the throttle, it dies. He has to keep it above 1100 rpm to keep it running, because it dies at idle.

upspirate and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Do you have white smoke in the exhaust?

6. rjones35

rjones35

Maybe coincidentally a filter got a little plugged up just then, or a piece of dirt managed to get stuck in a passage in the idle circuit, or idle mixture screws could have vibrated out a little, just enough to mess with things.

Deuces and Truck64 like this.
  7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That don't mean a new Pope either. Head gasket? Is coolant disappearing why you're adding anti-freeze?

Clay Belt likes this.
  8. catdad49

catdad49

Sounds like some dirt got in there, doesn't take much.

9. tinkirk

tinkirk

Vacuum leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunbeam and porknbeaner like this.
  10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did the idle go up by itself? Or would it just not stay running at idle and you adjusted it higher?
    I've inadvertently pulled off a vacuum hose while working under the hood. Starts idling higher. When you rev it, the rpms hover before settling down.
    If not, I'd agree about debris in the carb being a likely suspect. If that's the case and it's starving for fuel, it might have a tendency to "pop" or hesitate a little under acceleration and cruise speed. It might pop pretty good on deceleration too.

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hopefully not related to adding antifreeze. Then I'd say head gasket as others suggested.

12. 6sally6

6sally6

Try the shade tree tune up! Get it running and then pull the throttle wide open AND quickly clamp your hand over the top of the carb. When it almost dies...remove your hand and let it start to speed up again and clamp your hand on top of it again.
    It pulls a tremendous amount of vacuum thru the carb and "sometimes" that will clear out the trash.
    Won't hurt anything unless you go to sleep and let the durn thing over rev...float the valves...throw a rod through the side of the engine...make you bang your head on the bottom of the hood..something-like-that!
    6sally6

Terrible80 and Boneyard51 like this.
  13. I've had enough power valve problems with Holley 4 barrels to make that my first thought. It could be crap caught in the idle circuit too. If you don't like 6sally6's method you can pull the idle mixture screws out and blow the idle circuit clear with compressed air. You're gonna have to readjust the mixture when you're done though, maybe a good idea anyway. Both methods work with varying success.

14. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

The carb is 10 years old and it's acting up and your bitching , clean it ,put a kit in it , add a power valve protector, and be glad you got 10 years out of it ,. Sheeeeesh !

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I am not complaining and I am glad it lasted 10 years. No need to get nasty!
    Working on a car in the bitter cold is not fun as you get older.

I do thank all who responded for their help.

Truck64 likes this.
  16. scoop

scoop

You're from Florida,whats bitter cold to you?

Bugguts likes this.
  17. upspirate

upspirate

65 or below for me.......Although we did go sailing earlier this week when it was 65

rjones35 likes this.
  18. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Bitter cold in coral springs Fla .? You're joking , right? NJ. ROFLMAO ! Waaaaaa , Waaaa

Truck64 likes this.
  19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Nope. I knew someone would think that. It's my brother's car in upstate NY. Since he is not good at posting things on the computer I was asking for him. Then I email him the HAMB link and he can open it. Hope that not against the HAMBurger Code of Justice.
    By the way, thanks again for the replies. I am sure he will benefit. Merry Christmas to all.

upspirate likes this.
  20. flatjack

flatjack

Lighten up, dude. My carb has been on for over 20 years without a problem. Haven't touched it. Shouldn't have to.

21. scoop

scoop

Understood,I would pull the carb,got to be some crap in there.Have a Merry Christmas!!

22. scoop

scoop

I'd love to see 65,probably won't till late April!

upspirate likes this.
  23. scoop

scoop

Do you drive it?Hahaha

24. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

When's the last time it had gas in it ?

25. flatjack

flatjack

Funny man. I've got about 60, 000 miles on the car.