Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage No More Charlotte GoodGuys?!?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brett4christ, Dec 6, 2018.

1. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

rockable, exactly my point in post 22. Rents going up and attendance going down. I remember when York had over 5000 cars, with long lines of spectators. I don't care what NSRA claims, but I think there were only about 2000 to 2500 cars last year. NSRA started cutting corners in 2010 when they stopped giving out those nice brass dash paque's and gave out those cheap silk screened aluminum ones. Now another show is coming to York and both might loose attendance because of each other. I'm betting that one organization will not return to York next year.

sidevalve8ba and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

49ratfink likes this.
  3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would agree with you.

4. moparjimd60

moparjimd60

Yes that is what I thought also, my main concern is where are the vendors going? I love the vendors and swapmeet I am afraid that will suffer greatly. Can’t imagine the vendors would try and cover both! But who knows.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

5. socal34

socal34

Attendance is down because everything is getting very expensive. Gas on west coast is 3.50 to 4.00 a gal., Motels have gone up 100.00 to 200.00 nite some with 2 nite minimum , restaurants have also gone up. Some of the runs I go to are 6 to 8 hours away , an easy 500.00 weekend. If I go to the Louisville Its a 2000.00 for 2 weeks. It coast about 250 a day driving to some of these shows. I don't attend as many as I use to.

Texas57 likes this.
  6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yes rockable it does cost money to rent the facility, but they also charge the vendors a ton of money for the booth spaces. Neither one is loosing money, they just aren't making the kind of profit they want.

7. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Oldsman, Since you were once a NSRA Rep at one time, I have a question regarding all the NSRA "volunteers". I know that they have the Blue Shirts and the Red Shirts. If I'm not mistaken it's the Red Shirts that are volunteers and not on the payroll. What exactly do you get for your volunteer work, is there any compensation? Do they at least give you free admission to the event?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

The red shirts are state safety reps and the blue shirts are the actual state reps. Neither group is paid. While you are either on the safety side or the rep side your membership is paid by NSRA. If you work during an event the entry fee is also taken care of by NSRA. So basically it's a volenteer job. Event directors are paid by NSRA, and I think division directors receive some money from NSRA

9. ..........So for sweating all day in the usual heat of Summer events, listening to upset attendees and everything else they expect you to do, they can't even pony up the money for three nights at the host (or other) hotel? And maybe a small stipend to buy a hot dog for lunch! My respect for the NSRA continues to erode. I was a member for over 25 years, but allowed my "membership" to end a few years ago. Believe it or not, it had nothing to do with the much debated "late model" issue. The organization just doesn't have the relevance it once did. I still occasionally go to an event and pay the spectator fee. I still enjoy seeing the cars and visiting with friends, but no more participant.

47ragtop, Ron Funkhouser and jim snow like this.
  10. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

No no other compensation other than no entry fee! I knew this going into the position. I was the Nebraska safety rep from around 1991 to 2004, and the Nebraska state rep from 2004 until 2015. So all total over 20 years as a volunteer for NSRA. I saw a steady decline in the attitude of NSRA through those years, probably the biggest changes around the time the sliding year rule went into effect. At that point they wouldn't listen to the rodders at all. It was all Vern Walker or nothing from that point on.

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

Not being a Streetrodder, I have no complaints about the NSRA's decision to go 49 and up. The current lack of interest in Streetrods is confirmed by their valules considerably dropping. I've never seen Streetrod prices lower then they are right now. How much difference can there be in all those Fiberglass 32 Fords? The current decline in NSRA and GG event attendance is also probably tied to the lack of Streetrod interest. Back in the Streetrod hay day NSRA and GG attendance figures were way up. Back in 93 the NSRA Louisville Nats had over 15,000 cars registered. The fears of car years up to 1988 has never materialized. Other then perhaps a few Buick Grand Nationals I can't tell that much of a difference. Besides nobody makes you look at cars you have no interest in. A friend of mine is an a very large and old time car club who he says most of their old time members are trying to dump their Streetrods and get into 50-60's cars instead. In case you haven't noticed 49 and up cars are where the interest and rising prices are where it at right now. Willing to bet NSRA events are now close to 50% pre 48 and post 49 cars.
    I'm also surprised there are so many Streetrodders still beating the pre 48 drum on a Traditional site like the HAMB after all these years. Give it up and enjoy looking at cars that interest you and ignore the rest.

Gary

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    rockable, i.rant and CME1 like this.
  12. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I’m sure both the NSRA and Goodguys have accurate information on the breakdown of participants percentage of cars falling into pre 48, 50’s, 60’s and so on.
    Using this info plus the fact your age is asked on the registration forms, I’m thinking many of their future decisions can be based on these factors.
    It’s pretty simple,the events which aren’t being supported will move on or die,then you can go to the same weekly cruise night,hook up with the same rodders and bitch there’s no decent event to attend where you love all the cars and is attended only by those that are like minded.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  13. With the 50th anniversary of the NSRA coming up in 2019 and the decline in attending at the events is a prime example of the age of long time members that supported the NSRA since it's inception.

NSRA saw the hand writing on the wall when they implemented the 30 year sliding rule trying to keep up with Goodguys but shot themselves in the foot when many of the older guys dropped out, add to that the mortality rate and the pre 49 support group is on the decline.

I didn't hate the idea but felt like they really went too far and alienated many people that supported the NSRA for so many years, heck I've exceptedand even drove the '54 Wagon to a couple of the NSRA event's in Knoxville,Tennessee.

Last year I saw a few nice later model cars but the guy driving a 1988 yugo did it just to thumb his nose a NSRA, he has always driven a beautiful 40 Ford coupe. HRP

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    jim snow likes this.
  14. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I don't think anyone is intentionally beating up NSRA or GoodGuys, but just saying what they would like to see done. Later cars are fine with me , but not ones into the 90's. also like I feel that both are not listening to the members of either group.

15. Red shirts didn’t live long on Star Trek

Budget36 likes this.
  16. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

First time I entered a car show, it was 1958 in the old electric building in Balboa Park. You lined up on Thursday night and the fire department emptied your gas tank and then disconnected the battery. Then you pushed the car in, set up your display and hoped you had a ride home. Sunday night was a zoo..you hoped you would get enough gas to get to a station before it closed. Now you know why a lot of old guys like lawn chairs!
    Did my last GG show five years ago and now I only do driving and touring events.

17. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I would like to know who started the story about charlotte being gone, as it is still listed in the latest information that I received from G G this month

18. Rumor over the summer was GoodGuys wanted to buy out Right Coast, who runs the Syracuse Nationals.

With nothing to do I was able to go back and transfer the sales totals from my old book to the new one. That show, the last day, as a swap vendor, has always been weak. Guys with long drives that have been there three, four days already take off for home, or are packing their fancy trailered cars. The locals have already pretty well all trouped through in two days. One year I sat there and sold less than $20. It's a good day to hit up guys with lowball offers.

19. Sorry. I was just on the gg web site. Raleigh yes, but no Charlotte.

https://www.good-guys.com/pdf/schedule/GoodguysSchedule_19.pdf

Phil

20. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

I've done my share of NSRA and GG events over the years starting with the 2nd NSRA Nats at Memphis. Always enjoyed them. For the last couple of decades my interest has shifted to the drive as much as the destination. As well as from the big organizations back to the local club/group events. Whether its cross country to the LA Roadsters Show or a couple hours away to a central Florida rod run, it's about the whole package not just the parking lot you land in. Two years ago it was the Jalopy Jam Up in Durham, Ontario. So I tell the Lovely Miss Lynda we're driving 1450 miles each way in August in the roadster and all we can take is what will fit in the trunk after I pack the tent and sleeping bags. She's a real trooper, see picture. What a great trip, the event, and the fellow hot rodders we met, and the places we stopped along the way, oh and the hot August weather. All this to say, pick some new events and enjoy the whole adventure.

Lee IMG_2602.JPG

21. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

That's funny pptrather I just got the information a week ago all the entry forms and there was a form for charlotte .

22. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I just got on the G G web site and you are right, Charlotte is not on the schedule anymore

23. frank spittle

frank spittle

Charlotte Motor Speedway does not have a self promoted Rod & Custom car show listed on their 2019 schedule. Yet!

24. Found out earlier this week that Lowe’s (Charlotte) Motor Speedway (and NOT GoodGuys) ended the relationship. GoodGuys definitely had every intention of holding the event.

Turns out LMS wanted the GG weekend to move the AACA Auto Fair from early September to late October. Better, more predictable weather for a 4 day event was more desirable.

25. ...and speaking of the Auto Fair; the last couple of times I've been it too seemed to be on its way to the toilet. 'Serious lack of quality vendors and lots of junk to look at in the infield.

lothiandon1940 and rockable like this.
  26. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That makes total sense and I agree with you. I'm guessing they are trying to resuscitate Auto Fair since they obviously screwed it up when changing dates.

27. I attended one GG event in Phoenix I drove for three hours with the intent of seeing the vendors. It cost $18.00 to enter.
    That's $ 18.00 for one day.
    I have not attended nor will attend another event.

28. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Brett, while the spring Auto Fair is still very good the September meet vendor count has been way off. The green field was very light and the blue field had a lot of empty spaces this year. Of course the the new infield course layout has really hosed up the swap space layout on that side of the infield.

Lee

29. Fall Carlisle has been down big-time as well, falling in line with the Auto Fair, especially since both Spring events are doing well BUT ....

For this of you interested in the Raleigh event and Spring Carlisle, they are the same weekend AND the Jalopyrama is as well on the Eastern shore if Virginia. I will probably do Spring Carlisle and the Jalopyrama, with my departure from Spring Carlisle predicated on whether I make the cut for indoors ....

52 weekends and three good events bunched together on one weekend .... go figure .... geeesh ....

Grandadeo and Hamtown Al like this.
  30. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Seems I remember that - had a blue w/white scallop painted '32 Hi-boy w/WWW, SBC w/blower, 4 speed & a smiling 12-13 year old breaking his face with a grin a mile long. His reply on being told to leave "Who gives a shit!!" I'll miss the track drive.

I have had Blue Field spaces at Charlotte since '89. Started w/3 10X30 but due to 2 re-locates now have 2 10X40 & 3 10/50 on the new track. Probably going to give up the 10X40s, too much space very little to bring that's worth while. Seems I only go out of habit/addiction. Haven't made any money lately.