Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage How About a So Cal New Years Day Cruise? (pics added)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Anyone interested in meeting up on New Years Day and cruising some cool road(s) here in So Cal? We've gone out the past few New Years Day's, so I'm looking forward to doing it again. It's a good day for a not too long drive out somewhere semi-remote where we can stop and get some hot chilli or something to warm up the belly. Depending on weather of course, but right now the 10 day forecast is looking pretty good. So come on, if the roads are clear let's get the cars out and stretch their legs a bit. Reply here or pm, but let me know if you're interested.

LBCD likes this.
  2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Bump for the night crew....

4. toml24

toml24

You may try the good folks at the Donut Derelicts car show in Huntington Beach on Saturday mornings, starting at 5:30am. With close to 250 vintage cars and trucks I'm sure you could find some excellent equipment to participate. Just make sure there is a place to eat at the end of the cruise.

5. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

Sounds like fun - where are you thinking of going?

6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I've got a couple of routes in mind, one in south Orange Co to Riverside Co, one in the Angeles National Forest area, but I'm flexible about it and would look at any other suggestions.

7. 63galaxie406

63galaxie406

A little farther north the Pismo Derelicts have a garage tour on New Years. Usually about 6 stops, both private and shops. Think they have a web site or Facebook page.

8. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

What start time?

9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Not too early, it is New Years day after all. Most of us will be up the night before to ring in the new year. I'd say we time it to reach our destination for a late lunch. For instance, last year we drove up Hwy 39 to Crystal Lake Cafe. That's about an hour drive from Azusa with a stop or two for scenic overlooks. So, we met in Azusa around 11, shot the shit for a few minutes, then took off. Had some burgers and hot chilli at the cafe, then headed back down before the shadows got too long, it was perfect timing. I'd be up to going back there, it's a nice drive.

Or, if Glendale Ridge Rd is open, that's a nice drive up to Mt Baldy, about half an hour longer than Crystal Lake. It's a better drive. If you haven't driven that road that's something you should do sometime. One of the great roads in So Cal, and not that far from LA, OC or the IE either; but remote enough you'd think you were hundreds of miles away. Same time frame would work I think, though I'm flexible on that.

10. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Lots of cruises planned for New Years day by several groups I know. We are near the Santa Barbara area so we have lots of back roads to cover and end up at the Ocean for lunch.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Lynn
    First, Happy Holidays.
    Second, us here in the Great Wet North are "so very happy for you" SoCal residents that can enjoy these types of activities nearly year round.
    Hope everything has settled down for you all down there, it's been painful seeing all that stuff that hit all at once, you need some relief, happy cruising.

12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

13. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

Blues4U likes this.
  14. tomic

tomic

I'm totally up for this. I'm in Los Angeles, silverlake/echo park area. any weather not a downpour I'm ready. I'll drive to the OC no problem, 'less you decide to head much further south?

Blues4U likes this.
  15. tomic

tomic

the coffee sucks there! lol. but I'm game.

16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Alright, we got some action going here. Another week plus to go, let's get some more interest in it.

17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Bumping this back up for more action. The more cars the better the cruise.

18. mopacltd

mopacltd

Anything in Californicator scares me!

19. exterminator

exterminator

There is a New Years cruise in Apple Valley around 7am at BearValley RD and Hwy 18. It Starts there and runs the back way thru Lucerne Valley to Barstow then out to Peggy Sue's Rest outside of Barstow. I have seen well over 100 cars most years. A lot of fun!

20. tomic

tomic

yeah, it's crowded and getting stupid-expensive, but there's lots of old iron, loose laws for pre-75 (and esp. pre-65) even in core Los Angeles where i live. no vehicle inspections for in-state cars! (if you pine away for a hopped up 1980's K-car, yeah, you're screwed :)

and some truly great roads for driving. desert mountains (you've got your share of those in AZ), the sierras, central valley, ... in the LA area we've got Big Bear area (138, 38), the mountains down to san diego... google tepesquet road...

the drive exterminator's talking about is just plain beautiful, a great road, barstow and through lucerne valley are regular roads for my crowd (old sports cars and mountain-road-ready oddball stuff) too.

two hours from me is some of the best driving i've ever done. from my surveys and reading it looks like maybe Colorado has better driving overall (quantity and quality of roads etc).

i drove the Tail of the Dragon this year on my way home from the Power Tour, it's an amazing road. there's not one of those here; but CA desert mountain driving is like 75% of that road, times 100. and lots of folks to drive with!

i'm working on a web page for tour/driving in CA, some maps and even some cue sheet (turn by turn, rally style) stuff. i'll try to find an appropriate place to post it here.

sorry for the sort of off-topic post; i'm itching to drive, it's winter tour/sports car downtime (for me, fuel cell, new carb setup, roll bar, brake upgrade) so i'm chompin' at the bit...

Flathead Dave likes this.
  21. Then hug your teddy bear and stay home, where you feel safe. It's a scary world, you know...

22. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

I’m interested.

Blues4U likes this.
  23. Positively LOVE peggy Sue's.

Ben

24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Cool! I've got a private message thread started to those that have said they were interested, I will forward you the information. We've got a great drive planned, should be an awesome day.

Would still like to add as many as possible, so anyone else that's interested please either post here or pm me and I'll add you to the list.

25. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Bump to the top

Blues4U likes this.
  26. 39ChevyBob

39ChevyBob

27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yes! the more the merrier. So that is roughly the area we're thinking about, but not Angeles Crest Hwy. I'll tag you on the PM thread for details.

28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Bumping this one back up to the top to catch any late comers that are interested in going. We have a decent number of cars going, but more is better. How many HAMB members are located here in So Cal? Come on guys, let's get those cars out on the road for a nice drive, nothing too intense, not too early, won't be all day, just a nice late morning to early afternoon jaunt through the local hillsides with a stop planned for a late lunch. There's still time to get your ride ready this afternoon before the NYE parties start.

29. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Well, the cruise went great. We had 6 cars, & 7 people. We met up in Azusa where the air was calm (no wind) and the sun was bright and it was gorgeous out. After shooting the breeze and kicking tires for a while we headed up Hwy 39 to East Fork rd and took that back into the canyon to Glendora Mountain Rd, and took that up to where it connects to Glendora Ridge Rd, which runs East through the mountains over to Mt Baldy, where we hung a left and took that up to Mt Baldy Lodge for a late lunch. Then we all headed back down the hill and went our separate ways back home. We did make several stops to stretch our legs, shoot the breeze some more, and take some photos.

The weather was brisk, to downright cold up on My Baldy. The wind was strong in some areas, and there was a fair amount of rocks, branches and debri on one section of the road. But all of that was of little consequence compared to the great time we had. I hope we can make this an annual event, and I'd love to see it grow in size.

See you all you guys next year!

30. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

IMG_4213.JPG IMG_4215.JPG IMG_4216.JPG IMG_4217.JPG
    Bob's 39 Chevy is beautiful, and runs like a top!
    IMG_4218.JPG IMG_4219.JPG IMG_4220.JPG IMG_4221.JPG IMG_4222.JPG IMG_4223.JPG IMG_4224.JPG
    I love the lines on Nick's 62 Imperial.
    IMG_4225.JPG IMG_4226.JPG IMG_4227.JPG
    Hard to tell from this photo, but that's the Pacific ocean out there. The camera didn't capture it well, but we could see ships out on the water, and even Santa Catalina Island out in the distance through the haze out over the water. It was a truly spectacular view.
    IMG_4228.JPG IMG_4229.JPG IMG_4230.JPG IMG_4231.JPG IMG_4232.JPG IMG_4233.JPG IMG_4234.JPG IMG_4235.JPG IMG_4236.JPG IMG_4237.JPG IMG_4238.JPG IMG_4239.JPG IMG_4240.JPG IMG_4241.JPG IMG_4242.JPG

Attached Files:

32Dan and jnaki like this.