Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod Camping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 19, 2018.

1. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

2017mda.jpg at the Meltdown Drags 2017

oldsjoe, brEad, scotty t and 4 others like this.
  2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

OK, I'll play. Last August at Relix Riot at the Gilmore in beautiful downtown Hickory Corners, MI. Seen here, my buddies Jake's Bel Aire, Brandon's '48 Pontiac convert (was ours for 42 years), and his '27, our Pontiac wagon and '34 highboy, our son Craigs '65 Ranch wagon and the some guy who's name I can't recall's 'Burb.
    39625175_10217779062690919_5038812669109338112_n.jpg

oldsjoe, brEad, MO_JUNK and 4 others like this.
  3. Danny a cool thread. { A Story } I'm guessing I was 8 or 9 years old at the time. This tent revival came to our town. They asked my grandfather if they could sit their tent up. { A LARGE TENT ! } In his freshly cut hay field, that was just out side our town. 20161104_155427.jpg 138.jpg One night after the services were over,{ very late } I notice the older gentleman with his trunk lid up, on a 30s or 40s ? sedan. He had a full size bed that went all the way from the rear of the trunk, up to the front seat. I ask him about his car, { camper }. He said, that he traveled over the whole country and lived in that car. I remember telling him, when I grow up. I wanted to be a preacher man, and travel the country, and live in my car too! Well, I never became a preacher, but I did get the car with a bed. lol When I first got married my wife, only 16 yrs. old. We traveled and camped in the old rear half of a Dodge sedan delivery. I got it free from a farmers field. When I built my 34 Dodge sedan delivery. I used seats that fold foward, so I can sleep in it at Rod Runs. I usually stay at the nicest Motels, and just sleep in the delivery. I'll brush my teeth in the motel lobby's rest room. Then meet friends at the motel's restaurant , for HAMB and eggs! lol Ed Roth, slept in some of his cars too. It's usually only for one night, or maybe two? Lots of FUN, and It saves tha bucks. That I can spend at the swap meet! :rolleyes: Ron....

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    oldsjoe, edcodesign, brEad and 13 others like this.
  4. 29moonshine

29moonshine

going to try this spring to see how it will be

Attached Files:

5. upspirate

upspirate

HOTRODPRIMER and dana barlow like this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

some pretty "campy" pics here

dan31, HOTRODPRIMER and dana barlow like this.
  7. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

Wendover UT. Speedweek.
    I've tent camped with a model T roadster. It's much nicer having a larger trunk!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

I don't think it's been mentioned yet but if you want to find all the information under the sun on teardrops go to the teardrops n tiny travel trailer site. tnttt.com. Want to know the cure time for the best glue to put on your aluminum skin - they got it. Just an awesome amount of info provided by builders during their construction threads.

Lee

9. patsurf

patsurf

there was an elvis movie where the okie family take up residence along a road w/ an old chrysler product stationwagon-but it was in color!!

HOTRODPRIMER and dana barlow like this.
  10. There are some cars that shouldn't pull trailers.
    Never seen a Vette pull a trailer ever.

scotty t and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

^^ had to laugh at this a little, my dad has told me stories of when he and his high school/college buddy would go to rodeos in the mid 70s. Dad had a red 70 corvette and pulled a white 2 horse trailer. He also had a blue luggage trunk on the luggage rack of the vette. No pics but one can only imagine :D

12. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

Do boats make a difference? DSCN4586.JPG

oldsjoe, hrm2k, Jalopy Joker and 4 others like this.
  13. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

14. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Back in the late 70's the car club my Dad was a part of used to travel to shows together. On one trip from Iowa to the Longmont ColoRODan's show the group pulled into some town in the middle of Nebraska to overnight. My family stayed in a hotel while some of the group "camped" on the front lawn of a Perkins restaurant. The Perkins management wasn't too happy to see them there when they came in the next morning so they turned the lawn sprinkler system on to run their unwanted guests out.

15. That kind of shenanigans are what makes for great folklore! :) HRP

16. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Still won't get you as many brownie points as rebuilding the engine for the race car in your motel room and using the bath tub to wash parts.

wicarnut, oldsjoe, bundybiker and 5 others like this.
  17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"Way to go. I get to live like a homeless bum, and there is no cell service. My hair is a mess, and I haven't logged onto facebook in 2 days. I hate you Daddy!"

18. scotty t and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

I did a road trip last August, Denver to Minn. Driving a 49 F 1 and towing my 52 Bellwood canned ham. Mostly took 2 lanes & stayed off interstates. Did overnights at roadside rest areas. Got a lot of good responses at small town gas stops. Looking forward to more of the same kind of trips.

20. shopdawg

shopdawg
    from alberta

IMG_0314.PNG IMG_0320.JPG IMG_0321.JPG My 39 Ford cabover with a flood victim airstream I cut up and repurposed.

Hombre, oldsjoe, kbgreen and 14 others like this.
  21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

You must own lotsa Clecos... Beautiful job, BTW... and Great subject!

My genius brother bought a nice 9 foot long teardrop trailer in the '70s, we fixed a few things on it, towed it 60 miles behind my '55 F100 to the G'd Guise Pleasanton event. Loaded with R&C parts, and about 300 rare model car kits, we sold at the swap for 2 days...made some $$, drank some beer.
    Bro Bob hooked up to leave, I finished some underhood checks, and we were outa there. About 8 miles toward home (#2 lane, long down grade) I look to the #1 lane on my left, and there's a teardrop trailer passing us. With nothin' pullin' it!
    I tell my bro, "I think the teardrop got loose...Didn't you secure it?" He just laughs, like I'm B.S.ing him, then he sees it, passing. Really, I'm doin' 55 or 60, it's goin' straight in the passing lane, straight and smooth...There's a Mexican gentleman right behind it, waving his arms and honking...he gets alongside, yells "I'll slow the traffic down..."
    The grade has lessened now, road's flattened out...we've slowed to 45, trailer's slowly changing to our lane, about 50 feet ahead...I slow more...younger bro is screaming my name..."Do something! Do something..." He's all red in the face, (neck, too...LOL!)
    I look right in his eyes, and scream "SHUDDUP!"
    He quiets, his 10 yr. old daughter is scared...I say "Just watch, Julia. It's like a cartoon..."
    The teardrop has slowed more, (the 'landing gear' mast is grinding down, sparks are flying, wheel is stowed inside the side door for traveling; too bad 'Junior' couldn't have remembered to click down the latch on the ball...OR hooked up the safety chains! )
    ...Another thing I should have done!
    Our Mexican friend in the Pontiac is executing a 'Round Robin', keeping the horn honking herd of Hondas and Datsuns behind us, (they just KNEW there was enough room to get past us!) as we watched the trailer find the ONLY bridge abutment in 2 miles! Caught it dead center with the tongue, Teardrop went clear in the air, wheels and all! Then settled down, we pulled up behind.
    A bevy of Japanese midgetry picked up speed as their Southerly Pace car pulled over in front, most of them honking their horns, like angry castrated sheep.
    I looked the thing over, my brother was in the side door, model kits were in...disarray.
    Easy hook up, nothing bad, just the tongue was a little bent. (easy pull when we got it home)
    That marked the LAST 'run' I took with "Dr. I.Q." I don't smoke. He does...o_O:rolleyes: Guess it works...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  23. dirty old man and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. The hitch was installed in the early 60’s. Dad towed Utility trailer off and on until a few years ago. Those cars have V8’s heavy duty trannies, full size car rear axles why not tow a trailer?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    brEad, HOTRODPRIMER and Shadow Creek like this.
  25. shopdawg

shopdawg
    from alberta

IMG_0231.PNG IMG_0227.PNG IMG_0226.PNG IMG_0225.PNG No Mike most of my build pics disappeared on flicker.

wicarnut, jazz1, oldsjoe and 12 others like this.
  26. Roothawg

Roothawg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. shopdawg

shopdawg
    from alberta

IMG_0223.JPG Lot more work than I imagined, working with 50 plus year old aluminum had a few challenges and I'm not a fan of woodwork. Third 39 I've done so that part wasn't much of a challenge. Inside pic.

28. The Arizona Old Crow likes this.
  29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Did you click on the link? Then the video in the linked page?

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the early 70's before we bought a tent my wife and I would throw a spare mattress in the back of the 48 and make the bed with sheets and blankets, set our bags and cooler in on top of it, snap the tonneau cover down on it and away we went. Spent one weekend in it at a rod trot outside of Austin when Skotz's musician friends showed up at the event complete with braless hottie in a see through mesh top That was before Skotz's musician freinds who were brothers became famous. We just dropped the tailgate, unsnapped about half of the snaps on the cover and went to bed. It wasn't long after that that we upgraded and bought a tent.
    After we moved back (for me Wife is a Texan) up here we bought a trailer that we drug all over the PNW behind the 48 and the 51 Merc.

oldsjoe and upspirate like this.