Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Another stolen trailer..!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodncustomdreams, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Hi folks,

Thieves have done it again! A trailer was stolen this morning from my painter buddy's property south of Saskatoon. A black Chevrolet 2500 crew cab with a full width mud flap (somewhat unusual) at the rear was seen driving away with a friend's trailer. The 26ft V-nose Continental Cargo trailer was being stored there waiting to be retrieved this week. The trailer contained the last pieces of a '40 Ford which had been recently painted. There is a '40 Standard hood and fenders freshly done and cut/polished in dark blue inside the trailer. Needless to say the parts are precious and any help in locating them and or the trailer would be greatly appreciated!

BP_StoonTrailer2.JPG

Thanks all,
    Dave

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Fuck thieves! Sorry I can’t help but if I hear anything up here I’ll be the first to let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The problem with thieves is they will find and remove the tracker. But here's an idea
    this is a rear tail light for a bicycle
    upload_2018-12-18_13-26-17.png
    and this is the guts behind the LED light and lens
    upload_2018-12-18_13-27-8.png
    If you could disguise the trailers marker's lights so that one of them had a tracker in it...
    Something to consider.

Oh yeah, F thieves!

4. Damn good idea.

5. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

On another forum it was suggested that you paint your name or license plate number on the roof of the trailer in very large letters/numbers. Then if the trailer is stolen it can be reported to police to look for trailer with info on roof. Most state police patrol interstates with planes/helicopters and the same with larger cities. However I agree it would be fairly easy to hide a GPS Tracker and that technology is pretty cheap now.

Bam.inc, LOWDUG37, czuch and 6 others like this.
  6. Well that sucks.....good luck on the recovery.

BILLY....do you have a link or ID for that light?

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hollywood-East and belair like this.
  8. Thanks for checking in everyone. Of course it's a pisser to lose the trailer, but the hood and fenders are a real loss. The '40 has been a local hot rod for more than 50 years and was in the final throws of a complete re-do! It will be very hard to replace those bits..

Last shot I have before it came off the road:
    BBall_2017.jpg

Thanks for keeping an eye out!
    Dave

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  9. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Sorry for your loss and thank you for the reminder of always being watchful. Hope the parts surface...Randy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  10. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

We sold trailers for awhile. One was stolen from the yard.The troopers were no help. even when we located it, we had to retrieve it ourselves.Then it was stolen again.This time it was found in another location and recovered.Again the troopers weren't of any help.

czuch likes this.
  11. fortynut

fortynut

There is no worse feeling than to have something of attachment stolen, to have been violated and your goods taken away without you being able to intervene. The feeling generates an anger that might well end in cold blooded murder. When I had a trailer, with a donor car still on it, stolen, it was one of the few times in my life I saw a thing inside me overcome everything and think only of catching the thief or thieves and killing him, or them, in such a way that it would trouble even Geronimo. Even after it was reported to be in a gravel pit, and I had paid good money to have it returned, I cannot forget those thoughts. That, more than anything is why thieves are the Devil's own. Killing outright is too good for them.

williebill, czuch and Atwater Mike like this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's trailer theft season, people are packing up and moving south for the winter and they probably had plates from another trailer that were ready to stick on it when they got a few miles away.

bobss396 likes this.
  13. Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and concerns. I appreciate that far too many of us know the feelings that come from such violations and recognize how these three gentlemen feel over their losses.. I will continue to stay with you here and will certainly note any updates. Here's hoping..!

Dave

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Had a friend that created logos and graphics for a “fertilizer reclamation” system that was then used as a wrap for the trailer carrying a 1937 Jaguar SS. Who would want to steal that?

15. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was your trailer so why are you bothered by retrieving it yourselves? If the troopers had recovered the trailer itwould have been towed to an impound lot at your expense---and then you would have had to go get it anyway.

I'd say you should have spent more time securing your trailers instead of blaming the troopers for your negligence.

16. oldolds

oldolds

Just remember that when you find your own stolen trailer and recover it, you should contact the police and tell them that you recovered it. Then a few days later you should make sure they told every other police dept that it was recovered. A friend had a hard time with a stolen Jeep. He reported it stolen to the local police. It was found two towns away. They were nice and called him, told him where it was so no impound fees, ect. Only thing was they never did the paperwork that it was recovered. He spent a couple hours with the local PD to get that straightened out after he took his wife shopping.

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I simply unbolt the cup from the trailer tongue. Hopefully, thieves don't carry trailer parts to 'prep' a trailer before stealing it...
    There was a jerk that backed up to my boat trailer to 'hook up'...he was walking back with a flashlight to see if he was 'lined up', I had gotten up to take my 3:00 A.M. leak.
    Pants on, barefoot, across the street I ran...The guy looked up startled, then I gave him a swat on the neck with my cane.
    He crawled real fast to his truck, got in and took off...
    As I said, the cup was NOT on the trailer tongue. "Surprise!" CANE! Whack!

18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I had the same thought, that, due to the remote area, the trailer would be noticed locally and had to be moved out of the area, meaning that someone picked it up en route rather than come in from another area and back track. Someone moving stole the trailer rather than rent a trailer or moving truck one-way.
    Trailers in my area are usually stolen then taken to remote areas (mountains/desert and turned into meth labs.

Since it was stolen this AM, I'd say they're loading their household now and will leave tonight once darkness falls. They won't chance waiting a day or two, having that trailer in their driveway, as they'll want to get it far away, unload and dump it. Slim chance, but your best bet to recover it is to park along the main highway out of town (overpass) for a few hours and watch for the dually/trailer. Set up 20 miles South, in case they came North to steal the trailer and are residing South of where it was stolen.

The only other shot would be to check the local classifieds for available open home rentals and fly by hoping to see that dually/trailer backed in their driveway. Possible, someone is closing a shop and hauling their equipment with it, so rental openings at a roll up type shop are a lead.

As for the fenders, etc. they probably dumped them somewhere. Maybe they didn't find them until they got the trailer home and they're dumb enough to leave them at the residence they're vacating (with finger prints)?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  19. Sucks
    What thieves do here is they steal a trailer or car, then find a same trailer or car and swap the plates and drive on.
    Think about it, how often do you look at your plate numbers anyways?
    Assholes, hope you find it

20. When I bought my trailer to haul around the Mysterion, I read up on the subject had it was not encouraging. Not only did I find out that 30% of all trailers in the country are either stolen or vandalized, I found out that all commercial trailer locks and protectors are so easily defeated that it is almost humorous. Virtually all of the trailer hitch locks are pot metal and knock off with a blow or two from a hammer.

I designed and built 4 different locks for my trailer that I think will at least deter the casual thug, and maybe even some of the career ones. I don't want to show what I did here to sort of keep the tricks out of the pipeline but if anyone is interested, send me a PM and I'll show you what I did.

I only had the trailer for about 6 months before I sold it with the car last week so it never got a good. professional thug test!
    10-11-2018 11-05-09 AM.jpg

21. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

F thieves and f people that buy stolen s#it

weeniewawa and williebill like this.
  22. I would guess the art on your trailer makes it far less enticing to steal than any anti theft devices you could add to it. Anything that makes it stand out from the myriad of other plain white trailers is going to make it a LOT more conspicuous and far less tempting to steal.

rodncustomdreams and kbgreen like this.
  23. Any suggestions on a good reasonable tracking device.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would like to think that but do you have any idea how many ugly UHaul trucks are stolen across the nation? Thieves are morons with tools and no moral or ethic code.
    2 rules;
    1. First rule don't lay up treasures on earth where thieves' break in and steal and rust corrodes
    2. Second amendment.

25. You see U Haul vehicles on the road all the time nothing noteworthy about them at all. A red and white trailer with huge lettering across it about something 90% of the population knows nothing about is far more likely to be remembered and noticed by everyday people.

26. In fact, that is one of my protection ideas. Many, many of us run plain white trailers that disappear the moment the thug pulls it out of your yard. I reckon a trailer painted with wild graphics might be more trackable driving down I5 and a bunch less attractive to the slimes.

rodncustomdreams, kbgreen and K13 like this.
  27. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Remember those TV ads in the 50s and 60s.....a group of boys are going through a neighborhood and come on a car with it's keys in the ignition? You can figure the rest...they steal the car. The catch phrase was : "don't help a good boy go bad"...or some such.The bottom line is somebody is going to steal your stuff if they want it bad enough. Perimeter fence has barbed wire and is tied to the alarm system.Short of manning the yard with armed guard 24 - 7 what else would you suggest?I wasn't blaming law enforcement for PREVENTING the theft,I was condemning their INACTION after the fact...and isn't catching criminals what we pay them for?

Hombre, clem, swervyjoe and 2 others like this.
  28. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

We had a trailer stolen a couple of years ago. My dad had it professionally built to haul a skid steer around and I used it to haul cars. We had a hitch lock and our place was fenced in and gate had a lock also. Well they still took it. Guy got rid of the trailer on his way home and when state trooper pulled him over it turned into a high speed chase. He shot at helicopter and trooper shot him in the chest. Hes paralyzed from neck down and we never got trailer back. Sucks. I feel your pain.

29. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg Bump.....keep looking!

rodncustomdreams likes this.