Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Who was AK Miller

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dan griffin, Dec 15, 2018.

1. dan griffin

dan griffin

Hero of the early Olds powered iron.

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

here it is without having to open a pdf...

sad to see this

ak.jpg

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I think his son @Jeff Miller has been posting on the HAMB about AK off and on.

Stogy likes this.
  4. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

When I think of AKMiller, I think La Carrera Panamericana and a 5th place finish in an Olds powered hot rod against the best European cars and drivers. I think Pikes Peak Hill Climb, I think 1957 Mille Miglia etc. etc. I was fortunate to meet him at the 1997 PPHC he was signing autographs for the tourists on the hood of my racer.

Stogy, tractorguy and flatford39 like this.

5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool bio on him! Thanks.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

7. Hot Rodder Extraordinaire… RIP Mr. Miller, may your exploits always be remembered.

Stogy likes this.
  8. X-cpe

X-cpe

My introduction to the name was in a magazine article in the late 60's. He built a 300" Ford 6 and adapted a Bosch fuel injection to it. He took it to the track, raced some 396 Camaros and 390 Mustangs and hurt their feelings.

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I remember reading about him building some turboed 4 cyls and inline 6's before it was cool. A true pioneer hot rodder, may he RIP.

Stogy and gnichols like this.
  10. dan griffin

dan griffin

I forgot to say he passed away Dec. 15 2005.

Stogy likes this.
  11. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Theres a story about El Caballo, AK Millers Mexican road race hot rod at mexicanroadracecars.com

12. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

He was The Man.

13. Ak definitely liked to take the seldom-trod path. He got kicked out of his car club because he wasn't building 'traditional' cars....

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Reading the article and noting dates of his early activities, I figured the article was several years old. Thanks for clarifying the actual date.

I started reading hot rod ( and custom) magazines in the mid ‘50s and Ak Miller was a frequently mentioned name in a variety of competitive events and innovative builds.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. I hope this comment is a joke. Ak and Wally Parks formed the Road Runners club in 1937. Ak was a Road Runner the day he died.
    And, yes, Ak's step son, Jeff, is on the HAMB. He has posted some beautiful Bonneville photos his mom took in the 60's.

Elcohaulic, clem, GuyW and 1 other person like this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Boy were they ever, some top shelf photography there.

17. So Hot Rod and Jack Lufkin (Ak's business manager for years) got it wrong? https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-0606-ak-miller-history-best-hot-rodder/

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    firstinsteele, Hnstray, GuyW and 2 others like this.
  18. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I spent just over two weeks, daily with him on a race trip up Pikes Peak, a FEW moons back.
    He was a smart assed, crude, self absorbed, sort of a prick.
    BUT..., this is NOT saying anything bad about him. It was two of the most fun weeks I've ever had while racing with ANYONE.
    A very good tuner and he knew how to drive.

I actually don't recall how well we finished, but I think...it was about mid pack. Not at all Ak's fault. The car we used was a "road race" car, converted...to run up the hill. Not at all a specific, dirt, hill racer.

But as I said, it was a hell of a lot of fun working with and for him. I think all that went (about 8 or 9 of us, plus Ak and his wife) would say the same thing.

One of the good guys, RIP.

Mike

19. Hot Rod researches nothing, unless it's building a 1000 HP Camaro. I listened to many of Jack Lufkin's stories over the years, and I can tell you Jack was great at embellishing his stories for effect. What I know for sure is, my Dad was president of the Road Runners in 1960, and as such, privy to all board business. Whether, or not, Ak was ostracized in the early years, he was a dues paying member in the 60's. He was in the club in 1961 when he handed me the Road Runner plaque I still run on my RPU.

Blues4U, GuyW, jnaki and 5 others like this.
  20. firingorder1

firingorder1

The Road Runners have a long and proud history. I can't believe the club would ostracize Ak for anything he built. Ak built hot rods and that's what the Road Runners are about.

[​IMG]

Blues4U, GuyW and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. Damned right Bill!!!

[​IMG]

Blues4U, GuyW, jnaki and 2 others like this.
  22. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

AK was also the "Grandfather" of Turbochargers I sold a few of his kits back in the mid 70's when I was at M&M Speed in Sacramento.they were EZ to install and worked well.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Yes, he was. I had one of his kits on a 302 Capri. Really woke that smog motor up!

deucemac likes this.
  24. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

25. Dean, this isn't the first time I'd seen this story brought up in print. IIRC, first mention I saw was in the '70s in a feature/interview with Ak highlighting his latest project with a quick overview of his career. I suspect that after Ak started making his mark, the club at some point realized their error and welcomed a founding member back into the fold. AFAIK, Jack Lufkin was the first to mention the club by name. Given Ak's affinity for ruffling feathers, it certainly could be true....

At this point, anyone who was actually there is probably long dead, so the only path to the full truth would be access to club meeting minutes from the period if they even exist anymore.

26. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"I think his son @Jeff Miller has been posting on the HAMB about AK off and on."

What's up with the obituary saying "There are no survivors..." in the final paragraph?

27. A couple years ago I ask the current Road Runners secretary if the minutes of meetings form when my Dad was president could be copied for my Mom. I was told minutes that old no longer exist.

28. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

From my experience being involved in a couple of (non-automotive) societies, I would say that there is a chance those minutes are moldering away in someone's basement, unless it is documented that they were destroyed at one time.

29. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

If he was 84 how did he start racing and joining car clubs in the '30's?

30. He was 84 when he died in 2005. Do the math.

Mick