Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can I remove input shaft from my 3 speed without removing bearing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slim tempo, Dec 15, 2018.

1. slim tempo

slim tempo

I am planning on swapping out the clutch input shaft of my 1959 Rambler Cross Countr T-96 transmission with the input shaft of a 1960 Rambler American, of which I acquired. Can I remove the input shaft without removing the bearing? Does the synchro prevent it from sliding over the countershaft or is it just binding somewhere? 006.JPG

2. squirrel

squirrel

it looks like the synchro teeth will hit the countergear.

you could drive out the countershaft, so the countergear can drop down, and then the main drive gear (what you call the input shaft), should come out with out removing the bearing from it.

you're going to have to take it all apart anyways, you know...

3. BJR

BJR

All the exploded views show it coming out the front of the case. Google "T96 transmission diagram" and look for yourself.

slim tempo likes this.
  4. Not sure on the T96; but usually the bearing has to be off to get out the front when the cluster gear is in place.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    slim tempo and F&J like this.

5. oldsman41

oldsman41

Slim simper fi brother. Wouldn’t you want to pull the bearing also. Hate to go thru all the work to rebuild then find out the bearing is crap.

slim tempo likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

it might be easier to remove the bearing from the main drive gear, after removing all of it from the case?

slim tempo likes this.
  7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Why not tear down the trans all the way so you can check & clean ALL the parts ?

slim tempo likes this.
  8. deucemac

deucemac

It does once you drop the cluster. Otherwise the syncro teeth get hung up on the front gear on the cluster

slim tempo likes this.
  9. F&J

F&J

Bring it over if you can't get it out. I'm in the shop today. I don't have a phone or internet in the shop, so just go to my address below in my sig line. Driveway leads to the shop.

10. Mac VP

Mac VP

Cluster gear has to be dropped first. That means making a 3/4” dummy shaft that is not longer than the inside length of the cluster gear. However......before you can drive the counter shaft out, you’ll have to remove the little lock plate on the back end of the countershaft.

T96 and T86 overdrive transmissions have a way of making me a little crazy for a day....

Hnstray likes this.
  11. slim tempo

slim tempo

Thanks Frank. I'm giving it a go today in my garage.

12. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

You will have to drop the countershaft to the bottom of the trans case. At that point the needle bearings in the countershaft will come out of place the only way will be to pull out the countershaft out put lots of grease in the ends to hold the needle bearings in place and reassemble the transmission

slim tempo likes this.
  13. sunbeam

sunbeam

The shaft according to an old Motors manual needs to be 7 1/16" long

slim tempo likes this.