Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1939 Ford 3 speed transmission hydraulic clutch

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by firebrrat, Dec 14, 2018.

1. firebrrat

firebrrat
    from Payson Az

Has any one ever add a hydraulic clutch to a stock 1939 ford 3 speed transmission? What all is needed minus the pedals and slave cylinder?

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Depending on the stroke of the slave cylinder, you may have to extend or shorten the clutch arm. Then all that is needed is a bracket to mount the slave cylinder and a link from slave to clutch arm.

3. Tdesoto276

Tdesoto276
    from Des Moines

4. Andy

Andy

The 40 up linkage is much easier to install and adjust to get the force/stroke right.

5. firebrrat

firebrrat
    from Payson Az

Could you use a hydraulic throwout bearing I think that might be easier. On a 39 there's no clutch arm it's a round rod that the paddle hooks to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Gotta have a clutch master and hose in there too. I've never seen one mounted under the floor if that's the way you are going. I'd explore a cable system before thinking hydraulic.

7. DosCoupe

DosCoupe

I built one in my 40 with a 39 trans. Seems there was a steel plate mounted to extend the plate for the below floor cylinder. Remember no check valve on the clutch master. I used a slave cylinder from a Chevy truck.

Sent from my SM-J727U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. '39 has an arm on the clutch shaft; if you have the flat "paddle" end, it has a later cross shaft.
    Switch it out to a earlier shaft and arm, get a chev truck slave, do a little fab, and you will have it.

Hyd throw-out bearings always sound easier until reality sets in.

firebrrat likes this.
  9. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

Has any one used a 39 petal set to activate a Chevy Muncie 4 speed. I have a 1940 set of petals and z bar - still need about 3/8 inch on the clutch fork. Reverse is scraping some. This car is actually a 1939 Ford with 327 and 65 Muncie 4 speed. Seen old reference by Frank Oddo about adapting a 1939 clutch petal (they are different) to the Chevy 4 speed.

10. Andy

Andy

I recently had to work on my son’s 91 Mustang. It uses a slick cable to work the clutch. All a person would need to do is make two mounts and two connections. No clutch chatter and no lining up shafts.

bobss396 likes this.