Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage No More Charlotte GoodGuys?!?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brett4christ, Dec 6, 2018.

1. lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Run to the Sun, Myrtle Beach, SC, in March. I have attended every GG event at Charlotte over the years & it has steadily declined the past 8-9 years, virtually a ghost town on Sunday. Not sure what they charge but only a select few vendors are there & it has declined. Driving the track was great 'til they introduced pace cars.

3. frank spittle

frank spittle

It will be interesting to see if there will be a CMS promoted car show there on the same weekend next year. There definitely will be if they think it will be profitable and profitable to the Speedway is different than GG. They don't usually give up a 25 year old event without a fight.

4. 5window

5window

The York NSRA is June has about half the vendors and cars compared to 10 years ago. No idea why GG thinks they'll do so much better.

5. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I often wonder if the post by lothiandon1940 isn't true. Gary Meadors started out with NSRA left and started Goodguys. As a former state rep for NSRA that would make perfect sense to me to combine both organizations. As far as I am concerned both have changed too much from their original concepts for most of us to enjoy their shows anymore. When I was still a rep I was at Louisville when NSRA announced the new sliding year rule. I was barraged with complaints about this new rule. Both organizations are only concerned about money anymore and not for the rodders. Someday we may see a RIP for both NSRA and Good Guys

6. Hopefully the new cutoff will keep these shows going. I would support a 25-30 year cutoff instead if a spacific year. My ride has had zero negetive issues due to newer cars parked next to it.

7. frank spittle

frank spittle

There are rumors going around that Marc wants to sell GG so if the NSRA wants it and the price is right a merger could happen. But I doubt it will with both organizations experiencing lower revenues at existing events year to year. It is happening with most motorsport related events. NASCAR has hired a firm to explore a possible sale. These family run organizations have members not interested in the family tradition.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Actually guys, I wasn't implying in my earlier post that GG and NSRA might be "consolidating", but that each organization may be consolidating their total events into fewer events. Who knows though, guess it's possible that an agreement could be reached whereby one buys out the other.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That seems to be the case with a lot of family run businesses and or organizations these days Some businesses have been going for generations and all the sudden the current generation decides that they would rather sell out and take a lifelong vacation or they just flat can't run the business like the folks did in the past.
    From what I see continuing escalation of venue costs has had a lot to do with the success and bottom line of the organization putting on the event. Talking to members of the local big club that puts on a big regional caliber event every year the fairgrounds adds new costs and new restrictions every year.
    The simple differences in attitude among rodders in separate parts of the country may have something to do with it. It seems that if you live in the east anything over an hrs drive from the house is way to hell and gone far away while if you live in Texas, Oklahoma or most any other western state jumping up and making a 200 mile one way jaunt to a one day 200 car event and returning home that day is the norm rather than the exception.

Texas57, Grandadeo and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. jim snow

jim snow

As Shamus says Run to the sun Myrtle Beach. It seems to be getting bigger. Snowman

Shamus, lothiandon1940 and motoandy like this.
  11. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Come to Myrtle in March . Not as big but something for everyone. Run to the sun 2019 plus the assorted nuts through a great cookout at the MYRTLE BEACH STATE PARK ON THE SATURDAY AFTERNOON OF THE SHOW.

jim snow likes this.
  12. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I just received my latest issue of the Gooduys Gazette, there was a special events registration firms booklet, Charlotte is still listed for this year.

13. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

Pricing them self out of business. The American way.

14. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

15. C Crews

C Crews

my dad damn near got us kicked out of charlotte good guys for doing a burnout in the tunnel.

16. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might be a redneck if ....
    Beautiful

17. I know a guy that passed the pace car and got asked to leave

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

Seriously doubt the NSRA would pay anything to obtain Goodguys. At the rate GG is going all they would have to do is wait a short while and get it for nothing. Speaking of the NSRA, the number of their events keep shrinking along with attendance. The NSRA Knoxville, TN event was a not miss event for us that is now a shadow of what it once was. I believe the time of "lawn chair" events has come and gone while Nostalgia drag race attendance is booming.

Gary

sidevalve8ba and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

being 20 minutes from Pleasanton it would suck if they went out of business. even a bad show at the fairgrounds is a good time. the swaps are pretty weak, but all it takes is one good find to make up for it.... lucky for me I am one of the rare souls who can walk right by a restored Camaro and go look Hot Rod on the other side of it and never give that Camaro a second thought.

as for "lawn chairs" yeah, at 58 I do need a lawn chair after walking for 5 -6 hours straight looking at cars, taking pictures and checking out the swap meet and cars for sale.

Irish Mike likes this.
  20. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I don't think that York, PA can have two shows about 10 weeks apart without one show suffering. The August show will probably pull vehicles from the June show and that's gonna really piss off NSRA.

21. ...............I'm thinking this could be the plan.

22. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I just don't understand G G and NSRA mindset. Both organizations have made a lot of members unhappy with added years, and then they wonder why attendance is down. I know NSRA expected a lot of new members, but it never happened. The largest part of the later cars are muscle cars owned by a member. I don't know when they will wake up. I'm just glad that I'm no longer a rep and don't have rodders chewing me out for their decisions!

23. jim snow

jim snow

Dropped them both when they went to late models. Vintage Street Rodders are still pre 49.Snowman

24. mopacltd

mopacltd

I have not been to a Good Guy event since 2000. Got treated like a third country immigrant even though we had 3 cars at most events in the southwest for 10 years plus. Could care less if they belly up tomorrow!

25. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I can't understand why either organization would be short of money. They charge us for belonging and yes both have a very nice monthly magazine, but looking at the amount of advertisements in each magazine they are making money even though members get them as part of the membership. If they say they are loosing money, they are calling wolf. I honestly don't know why I belong to both of them.

jim snow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. moparjimd60

moparjimd60

I saw that gg Nashville and nsra Knoxville are the same weekend this year. That can’t be good for either show. I have been to Nashville many times , never Knoxville so I guess I will try Knoxville this year.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brett4christ likes this.
  27. @moparjimd60 That's a MAJOR planning oops! I'd bet both shows have lower attendance than last year. It will be interesting to see which show has the better turnout!

moparjimd60 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I've been going to York non-stop for the last 25 years. The weather is usually OK but it has been particularly hot a number of times. I doubt that the August GG meet will pull too many folks from the June event... at least no more than once!;):D:D
    Fellas closer to York might well go to both... why not if the weather cooperates? It gives the more local folks an option at least that doesn't involve a long trip or bigger logistics... if they don't have something else planned for that weekend.
    Good luck in August but I, for sure, am going to York in June.

29. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I've been to every GG Columbus show. And every one in Medina before that. Its a social thing too, not just cars. We love it and will go as long as they have it.
    We've been going to NSRA Kalamazoo for 20+ years. Its been going down for a while but I thought this year was awful. Just not enough to do or see. I sent them an email about it but no reply. We'll give it another try in '19.
    We also go to a bunch of small shows.
    In my view even a "bad" car show is a pretty good problem to have.

30. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For all those who think these guys are making money hand over fist, call and ask Charlotte Motor Speedway how much it will cost to rent the facility for 4 days. It will blow your mind. Then figure out how many people you would have to employ, besides the speedway's personnel, to run the event and add that expense in. Now add insurance, golf carts, etc and other fees. You will see that it costs a lot of money to put on one of these shows of this size. $40-50 is reasonable for a multi day show of this magnitude, given all the expenses. It's a lot more complicated and expensive than a local cruise in or smaller scale event.

You have the option to not participate and many have chosen that option. For those of us who do, we will miss it.

Texas57 and i.rant like this.