Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 57 is home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Jul 19, 2013.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I've said it before, I'm "primarily" a Chevrolet guy, who appreciates other brands also. If I were presented with a comparable 57 Chevrolet VS 57 Ford, I'd probably take the 57 Ford. And did't the 57 Ford outsell the 57 Chevrolet that year? Keep posting to this thread, cest' vous plait. That's a real hot rod you've got going together, and I don't really care who's brand you're loyal too.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

2. Outstanding, I'd take a '57 any day myself. I had my '59 Custom 300 down to the bare bones too... lots of little parts to clean or buy and keep track of...

Jeff Norwell and loudbang like this.
  3. Adapters,, those are pure Hens Teeth. I bet Jeff has a story to go with them. I also had a set once, those may be them. Priceless Old School Kool!
    The Wizzard

4. Bare Bones as in totally apart. I sure understand that part. Seems everything I touch ends up there. Hay bobss396, I have a nice 59 on the side if your interested in walking down Memory Lane. If I ever get back to my 57 and get it done I doubt I'll have enough left in me to do yet another.
    The Wizzard

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Hedman headers.... for an FE swap
    48171337_10156174428852809_4205958312153317376_n.jpg

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Whizz.... I actually bought them here in the classifieds years back.. The headers were specifically made for the FE swap and FE Factory installs.... I believe I bought them from a member called Guffy......Well...I know you know all about these.....
    I am always looking for a second set to use on my Texas 57...(haven't touched that yet)....but they are like hens teeth.
    Found one set.....but they were missing the flanges.

7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

This car was/is a great driver.. but we all like to make improvements.... the rockers were shot and the rear quarters had bad bodywork .... so... Repairs were needed......I used a second set of spares.... all holes filled and now ready for some paint.. the eyebrows will be bonded on... IMG_2685.jpg

8. I remember seeing them listed and thought long and hard then passed. I had already built the Headers for the FE in my 57 and decided to stay the course. Then the project went on the Shelf. Been "resting" for few years now. Here's a photo of what I built.
    Ready to coat Headers 002.jpg Ready to coat Headers 003.jpg My next move is to cut the collector off and install merge collectors on them. Krazzy Stuff! Keep up the good work on yours.
    The Wizzard

9. Where are you going to source those 6-ply rear springs you referred to earlier?

10. Do you happen to have the part number for this stuff?

11. Who is this masked man ? Norwell pinging in .... what's next ? The lovely and talented GWhite ?? You guys. Must have a life or somethin'. :rolleyes::)

On another note .....

HELL YEAH !!! This one is going to be hella' nice !! Thanks for the comeback Elvis.

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

ha ha
    Chris.I will grab that part# ...

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Wiz.. those headers are a work of art...PLEASE get back onto your 57... from what I remember... it was outstanding.

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

Nice to see you back at it Jeff. Your stuff always looks spot on.

loudbang and Jeff Norwell like this.
  15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I used McVeigh's Truck spring service.... Through eBay. they have a 4 pack and 6 pack spring option.
    New springs with all the bushings.... i bought new hangers and factory shackles with the metal and rubber insulator pads from Obsolete in OK City.
    Easy job.
    Honestly any local spring company can build you what you need.The 6 spring option was used(on 57 Fords) wagons,police cars,taxis and other utility cars.Passenger used a 4 spring.
    Cost a few years back was around 350 bucks.... remember to get longer hangers....for a 6 pack set up.

I will use a local Truck spring company locally on the next set i need.

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Oh stop it..I bet you say that to all the girls......
    Btw Root. today I was wearing a big Kahuna Shirt... fun times.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Here we are Chris......

The Part #is 100901,stock code is BSDE
    The website is www.dominionsureseal.com

18. I will check it out, thanks. I had mine down to the bare frame up front, the entire wiring removed, the entire interior gutted for paint, rewiring, Fat Mat and so on. Took both doors and all every window mechanism apart to replace the channel, glass and fuzzies.

19. I got my 4-leaf springs from McVeighs too, hardware I believe was from C & G Ford Parts. I have cheap Summit traction bars on it now, cured most of the wheel hop but I have a set of Caltrac knockoffs on the drawing board.

20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Ringing in the New Year with Millers a blazing... gotta get Ugly before Pretty....

IMG_2883.JPG IMG_2882.JPG

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Dirty Bird Fords are shitboxes!
    Happy New Year....

IMG_2684.jpg IMG_2552.JPG IMG_1515.jpg image29.jpeg image39.jpeg image47.jpeg IMG_1417.jpg

22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

23. Wow, love seeing progress. Lucky for me I only had to do both lower fender corners. I have however done all that on different Customers cars. Glad to say it's all behind me now. Maybe you'll get me inspired. My 57 is in paint but died on the Jack Stands several years ago. Retirement isn't what I had planed as of yet.

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

Man, makes me wanna strip the 55. Nope, not gonna happen.....

25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Small update....

These are older pics.. doors are already in primer,ready for paint.. but the 300 custom holes are all welded up here... they are in good shape.... just a bit of 60 year grudge...
    One thing i did notice.. maybe you all know the answer. the regulator holes on the pass. and drivers side are different.... I just noticed at at the time.
    IMG_7985.jpeg IMG_2927.JPG IMG_2924.JPG

mgtstumpy, loudbang, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  26. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Looks like progress Jeff I just trade my 57 truck for a 57 Ranchero a nice one with a 408 Clevor and 6 speed Richmond I am going to try to paint it and bring it to the Round Up the chassis is done Granada spindles and Currie 9 '' looks like all have do is focus on body work and paint ! Larry Watson style lots of fine line tape but black base and gold scallops !

27. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

This ride is going to be terrific, great work.

28. I used an Edsel door for the driver-side door guts on my '59 Custom 300 and parts from an unknown '59 on the passenger-side. The handle release rod was different on the Edsel door, the regulators themselves should be the same from '57 to '59.

29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

30. Squablow

Squablow

Good to see the T-bird scoop made it onto a hood, that's going to look good on that car.