Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "THE WALL OF SHAME"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by duncan, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 527CEEDC-8242-4AB1-A9E1-D6E556A34289.jpeg
    Maybe this guy was the designer?!?
    He is a Super genius !

2. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Lets not be so quick to judge, Here is a idea I had to remove the twist in my front bumper :rolleyes:
    No did not work, was doomed for failure from the beginning.
    IMG_20181023_134126405_HDR.jpg IMG_20181023_134251864.jpg

3. ^^^ Shoulda worked. We made a similar tool that hooked over a channel (larger than your bumper) and had no trouble twisting straight a bunch of weldments that should have never left the factory.

RMONTY likes this.
  4. A little suspension problem.
    [​IMG]

mgtstumpy and Dave Mc like this.
  5. Brakes are a little noisy.....
    [​IMG]

Saxman, GuyW, j hansen and 6 others like this.
  6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Hey Bleach!
    That is a rather common thing to see if you ever worked in a commercial shop!
    It always goes like this: hey my car all of a sudden started pulling right/left. Oh heres your problem! Has your brakes been making noise? Yeah. How long? Oh.... couple of months!
    Seen it several times.
    I could go on for days about what Ive seen in a shop.

Bones

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  7. Bones, I worked in a commercial shop in the early 80's and we worked on anything and everything but I never seen a rotor that bad. I guess things have changed. :rolleyes:

Boneyard51 likes this.
  8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Bleach, I started working commercially, part time, in 1965, while working a full time job till just a short time ago. Saw a lot of stuff over those years.
    You must understand, I lived those years in Oklahoma, we have a “ depressed” economy compared to , well most of the US. Folks kinda had to do what they had to do. As long as the car was stopping, they would keep driving. It was only after the rotor came loose and there was no braking on the wheel , then when they hit the brakes, it would abruptly turn left or right. Then they would seek a fix.

Bones

Bleach likes this.
  9. Hillbilly alternator bracket?
    IMG_0936.JPG

10. upspirate

upspirate

Naw, just the adjuster is hillbilly

mgtstumpy and Boneyard51 like this.
  11. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

slv63, Bleach and Boneyard51 like this.
  12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I see no problem with the Adjuster! It’s the starter nut that bothers me?

Bones

slv63, mgtstumpy and upspirate like this.
  13. upspirate

upspirate

I totally missed that!!!

mgtstumpy and Boneyard51 like this.
  14. Truckedup

Truckedup

That's not so bad... decent welds, does the job..

15. X-cpe

X-cpe

What noise? Windows rolled up. AC/heat cranking. Stereo blasting.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I showed up at my buddies a few years ago to find this little number that some "pro custom body men" had chopped or attempted before the owner gave up on it and horse traded it to my friend for something unknow. It disappeared DSCN4467.jpg DSCN4468.jpg DSCN4470.jpg DSCN4466.jpg one day and he never did say what came of it.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. Reminds of my dad's OT pickup he bought new in 1980. About a year later the alternator bracket kept breaking from the engine vibration. It was a diesel. He rewelded it several times and it kept breaking. He finally wedged a block of wood between the alternator and engine block to keep the belt tight.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. 62rebel

62rebel

I wish I had a pic of it but there was a chopped 59 Ford here in the Charleston area that seemed to migrate from one body shop to another every couple of years until it finally disappeared. Nobody was capable of cutting a windshield or back window for it. Deep chop, probably four inches, but not thought through.

19. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

During the fifty years I worked on cars, I though I had seen everything..... but I never saw wooden brake pads!

Bones

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  21. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

During the fifty years I worked on cars, I thought I had seen everything..... but I never saw wooden brake pads! Bones

Slow your "ash" down! It would have made those above quieter too!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. all natural, locally harvested, organic brake pads.....asbestos and GMO free.

Bleach, loudbang, USMercUte and 2 others like this.
  23. Was it a hard wood?:p

loudbang, USMercUte and Boneyard51 like this.
  24. They're traditional!
    download.jpg

25. Runs a little rough...hmmm...
    [​IMG]

slv63 likes this.
  26. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

put a floor jack under the bumper and let the weight of the car do the bending

27. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Nothing a little JB weld won't fix

61Cruiser likes this.
  28. 62rebel

62rebel

I had an O/T 70's import sedan I got as a parts car for my then D/D.... it had been hit just hard enough from the passenger side to push the B pillar in enough to make opening and closing the doors on that side a problem. I took the seats out, strapped a 2x6 against the undamaged driver's side B pillar and used a floor jack to push the passenger side pillar out. the 2x6 spread the force out across the whole driver's side while the jack pushed on the points I best assumed would take the "tweak" out. Oddly enough, it worked. Almost had a second driveable car until the D/D car's engine blew and I needed the one from the parts car. Oh well.

29. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

The shame and failure comes from my welding skills.
    As I teach myself to weld, I tried using fluxcore, with my machine setup to use fluxcore, the heat dial is limited to 100, simply not enough heat to penetrate the thicker pipe and bumper .... even though I got a nice looking bead, the welds failed when I applied stress.
    Want to wait until after the first of the year before buying a bottle for gas .... suppose I could buy some rod and stick weld it ....

Any welder would have known better, why I say it was doomed and fit for the wall of shame :D

30. X-cpe

X-cpe

How about a big old pipe wrench, a scrap of sheet metal to protect the surface and a floor jack to lift on the pipe wrench handle.

Los_Control likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.