Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Mike, Tom and Tim Gretchko from Cleveland, Ohio

[​IMG]

2. earlymopar

earlymopar

Sure looks like Ken Austin's T.

- EM

[​IMG]

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

4. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I have to admit, that's a first... a fuel Nash. Great pic 296.

loudbang likes this.
  5. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

Here is the original Pulsator before the full body.
    1-1Pulsator with canopy.jpg

loner2, applekrate, Stebo27 and 9 others like this.
  6. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

pulsator_zpsabkx0hks.jpg
    Same car with the body attachment framing in place.

377964_346825518665249_100000134101073_1591138_1887826211_n.jpg
    And with the body bolted on...

7. 1947knuck

1947knuck

8. 1947knuck

1947knuck

9. 1947knuck

1947knuck

10. 296ardun

296ardun

cooper fiat.png
    Ted Cooper's Fiat altered...Ted was better known for his A coupe with a Lincoln exhausted by pipes over the front of the engine.

Marinoff1.jpg
    Mike Marinov's gasser.

lowry, 55.jpg
    Dean Lowry at Colton, 1955. Dean built this car himself, including a front-mounted blower on his Chrysler. He managed to smoke the narrow slicks pretty well, as they were probably too much for the power he made.

Millwinders3.JPG
    The Millwinders '35 coupe leaves the Paradise Mesa starting line with Jack Ewell's fuel Ardun for power, and probably Jack behind the wheel.

ramay ewens 2.png
    Rear view of the Ewans and Ramey '34 sedan, at Fontana. The car was built for the salt, but later got a set of bike wheels and slicks to run at the drags. It was immaculate, painted a bright bronze color, with a blown Chrysler. Unfortunately it suffered a stuck throttle on the fire-up road and drove into a phone pole, destroying it. I watched it happen, and then just left, sick that such a nice car was destroyed (driver was ok).

eagle mountain tex 1957 life.jpg
    From a Life Magazine shoot at Eagle Mountain, Texas

Palamides17-X2.jpg
    I am not sure why the caption "...the dragster did not perform well."

11. 296ardun

296ardun

eddie hill macs.jpg
    Eddie Hill, photo from the Dave McClelland collection

Genewinfieldsalinas51.jpg
    Gene Winfield at Salinas, from the American Hot Rod Foundation...Gene recreated this T recently

Marrs Boys and oldest.JPG
    The Marrs Boys at Fontana

grudem Nicholson GMC.jpg
    Don and Harold Nicholson ran this coupe with a GMC...Norm Grudem photo

leland kolb.jpg
    Leland Kolb, Chrysler powered...

grudem stafford.jpg
    Stafford and Shores street roadster...it still lives today, on the street....Norm Grudem photo

matelli superstition perez.jpg
    Ray Matelli's "Superstition, painted green, no. 13...what could go wrong. This run at Half Moon Bay, did not end well so Ray did not run it again...Photo by Rudy Perez, who took lots of photos for Drag News.

iacono vs koenig.jpg
    Frank "Ike" Iacano in the coupe racing Joe Koening in the Reath-Mailliard sedan, early Lions.

12. The Safford & Shores roadster owned today by Brian Bauer of Monrovia. Still has the original quick change under it.

[​IMG]

13. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Up and down motion. 47688300_1208639802623335_1719970574815461376_n.jpg

14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

15. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

48244213_1240827386069089_6321575209782476800_n.jpg Ramchargers and Tasca?

16. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

17. 296ardun

296ardun

View attachment 4131539
    Jocko poses with his yet-unpainted streamliner shell. The car turned an unheard of 8.35 with Jazzy Nelson driving, at Riverside, possibly because the backwards-installed clutch disc allowed slippage.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  18. 296ardun

296ardun

HoytGrimesFairburn1955.jpg
    Atlanta's Hoyt Grimes, at Fairburn, GA, 1955. Hoyt would go on to field a series of competitive dragsters...got to start somewhere.

Jocko.jpg
    Jocko standing next to the unpainted shell of his streamlined rear engine dragster. The car ran 8.35 at Riverside with Jazzy Nelson driving, possibly because the backwards-installed clutch disc allowed slippage.

Jacono-Buick-Lynwood from west chester pa.jpg
    Joe Jacano, from Pennsylvania, in his Lyndwood Welding chassis, blown Buick

caddo unknown coupe.jpg
    Early altered coupe, at Caddo Mills, TX...looks like they were able to meet their speed goals.

colton start bud todd at bottom left.jpg
    From the pits towards the starting line, Colton. Bud Todd's street roadster bottom left. This was a fun place to race, though the shutoff was pretty short and the return road was pretty cratered.

dannenfelzer santa maria.jpg
    Fred Dannenfelzer at Santa Maria, photo probably by Karen White. Fred would add a second blown Chrysler to this car, and later distinguished himself with many record-setting Bonneville runs.

hawkins.jpg
    Hawkins, Webster, and McCleod "15oz coupe" in a rare Lions appearance. Les and Lyle usually ran San Gabriel and later Irwindale as they lived nearby. The coupe lives on (I used to crew for them, and Les build the first version of Panic for myself and Don Wilson, who later joined the 15oz crew, and whose name remains on the car today.

featherstone adams boarman.jpg
    Featherstone, Adams, and Boarman, perhaps with Jim Seaton's Potvin-equipped Olds.

19. rlsteel

rlsteel

Quentin Davis Dixon mo . 427 4 speed ford he bought new.car was later restored and went to Reggie Jackson.watched the car run many time this looks like Sullivan mo thunder valley race way.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, Gammz and tommyd like this.
  20. 1934coupe

1934coupe

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

It was 59 years ago today, that one of the biggest drag races on the West Coast happened at Riverside Raceway. Despite the fact that Christmas was just around the corner, the drag racing world had the excitement, as the Drag News Paper had odd ball advertisements displayed for weeks. For us, that was more important for two drag racing, fanatic teenagers. We put off shopping and had to go see the best in the West vs. those other racers. We had never seen these “outsiders” from other parts of the USA, only in newspaper photos and stories. So, seeing them in person was going to be one great day of history and drag racing.
    upload_2018-12-20_4-30-49.png They did say it was the World’s Largest….

All of the hoopla was a giant build up to the competition of EAST VS WEST drag racers at that Dragstrip, out in the edge of Riverside. It took us almost 2+ hours driving Eastward along a raging river and winding roads to get to the pits before the opening time. (We did not use freeways back then) The top names from the East, Midwest, Pacific Northwest and of course So Cal were all going to be present for this epic battle.

We had been reading about the drag race event for weeks and were getting prepped for the all-day adventure about two hours away. We wanted to get there as the gate was first opened. So, a darkened departure time was in the works. Some of the films I took show the pit area early in the morning.

Riverside Raceway Pits top race cars in the nation.

One pit pass allowed anyone to cross the track in the safety area to get to the other side for a different view. Being up on a cliff side and watching the race cars zoom by was very different from being in the stands. This was 1959 and the safety protocols were not as harsh as they are today. So, I was also able to get to the starting line just a few feet away from the race cars to take some movies.

Jnaki

Being at a far away drag strip all day makes for an exciting trip. This teenager was in heaven with all of the big name racers from everywhere, including the top guys from So Cal. Since it was such a long day, when it was over, I fell asleep just outside of the gates and did not wake up until the driveway at our Westside, Long Beach home, 2+ hours away in the dark. This day was a memorable excursion, to say the least!

The last elimination race has provided some feedback as to the validity of the start and results for the top 2 racers of the day.

Art Chrisman staged to warm up about two feet behind the line. Don Garlits staged on the line. When Art Chrisman was creeping up to the actual startline, Garlits took off in a blaze of smoke, obviously winning the race, despite the valiant effort by Chrisman. My films shows Chrisman’s “Hustler” still behind the line when Garlits took off.

I did not know the protocol of staging on this race, but someone messed up to make the start an even race. People standing around, immediately started talking and discussing what they just witnessed at the start line. They all said that the race was not fair and that Chrisman should be declared the winner. You be the judge:

Garlits vs Chrisman controversy at the start.

22. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

23. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

24. Hi there. This is an awesome picture. This is my Grandfather Garland Alston who also raced the Shag Nasty car and El Toro (67 Ford Fairlane). By chance do you have any more pictures or maybe videos of my granddad in your archives please? Aquasco, MIR or Capital Raceway?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  25. chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. Flogknaw

Flogknaw
    from Texas

[​IMG] from instagram, not my pic.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.