Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects You got to start somewhere!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tooth, Nov 18, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    48.2%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Other

18 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. 31

19 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. 32

7 vote(s)
    8.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

I am going to hold out for a 31 frame, if I find doors I'll let you know! I too plan to use all gm-chevy parts. I have a 54 Chevy that I'm putting sheet metal in it now that I have original frame but I didn't have any of the suspension parts. I sandblasted the frame and epoxy primer in it. I put a set of posies super slider Factory replacement Springs that have a 3 inch drop with a lot lighter spring rate. I did buy a Mustang 2 front suspension kit because I'm going to use it for my daily driver and my wife says she wants to drive it too. I box the frame and C notched it so I put a rack and pinion in it but it's manual. Here's a few pics of the 54. And of course it will have a big block chevy in it with a 700r4. Has rear disc too.

Attached Files:

2. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

I picked up a few leads today, waiting on a couple of call backs. There's if you swap meets coming up in the next couple of months. And I've been searching pretty hard. I'll keep looking for Doors too. I have found many places now that have patch panels and repair panels for the car though. Not as many as Ford but there are choices. Stay in touch! And that rodders journal is awesome! Thanks.

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like you are making good progress on the truck. :)
    Keep working on it and give some real thought on the 31. ;)

Tooth likes this.
  4. mlagusis

mlagusis

that's great to hear. I like your 54 truck. Looks like it should be a good driver too.

5. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

It's kinka funny the 31 Chevy is in the background and I seem to be on a roll with the 54! Nothing like the next project in waiting to inspire you to push on! Lol there are so many ideas and so many ways I could go with the 31, but I would like to stick with a traditional period correct build. Thinking of a 348-409 with a 4 speed and a big pontiac 9.3 rearend. Lots to think about! Want to keep it all GM....
    We'll see!

Attached Files:

6. make sure you fit the doors often as you weld that truck together.

Fast Eddie 27 likes this.
  7. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

I have the door strip down to where they're just door shells, all the other stuff needs replaced anyway and it makes it easier to slide them on and off to check for fit!

RICH B likes this.
  8. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

That my friend is a 31 Chevy 5 Window Coupe with the wood removed.

Just picked one up myself!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

triman62, Okie Pete, AHotRod and 4 others like this.
  9. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

Nice, you have more car there than me. Thats a nice find! Congratulations on your new bowtie!

Fast Eddie 27 likes this.
  10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Tooth, you have a hangover after last night? :D

11. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

Nope, but I'll bet you and Mr. FE FORD did!
    Good times bench building especially when it's crazy cold weather out....

saltflats likes this.
  12. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

Mlagusis turned me on to it, good information on parts used! Here's what the cover looks like, and some of my practice. LOL

Attached Files:

13. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

14. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

After a little Twist and Shout, spooning, and Welding I think it'll be alright. Thanks for the advice! I'm practicing for the 31... LOL

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

No hangovers, we are professionals. ;)
    You need to stop at the shop and give me a schoolin on the 54 rot repair. :)

Tooth likes this.
  16. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

I found me a frame today up in South Iowa, also still looking for pair of doors for you! Here are some pics. Oh yeah that reminds me of an Iowa joke. Do you know what they call a good-looking woman in Iowa? ( a tourist) ;) and it's actually a 31 Chevy 5 Window Coupe frame! May have a title too...

Attached Files:

17. farmer12

farmer12

Nice progress!

18. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

Hindsight, an interesting word!
    My grandpa sitting on the right and my uncle standing on the left came home from the dealership in 1932 with this brand new vehicle and took their picture in the field next to the yard. Hindsight wish you would have left it in the garage for me! I am thinking of my son and my grandson and daughter though. But haven't bought any new vehicles for them. LOL my father was in a construction accident and killed when I was five but my aunt says she has pictures of him with all his cars that she's going to gather up for me. I guess it's in my blood. One of my neighbors says I have the old car disease bad and there's no cure so does "Salty" lol 20181223_110055.jpg

19. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

Better
    Better pic, bought in Unionville Mo. 1932... 20181223_112745.jpg

20. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

When I first looked at the top pic I thought it was an original pic of Bonnie and Clyde in front of the '32 ford... get a copy of B n'C's pic... post them side by side... my $0.02.

21. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

That sounds like a good idea mr. Sloppy Jalopies. I'm a see if I can make that happen. Today was a wonderful day went to Iowa and picked up my frame and have some more leads for some more parts for the 31. Here are some pics of the frame it needs a little TLC. It's not bent just a few small modification somebody made nothing that can't be made right! Also talked to Tom k about the W Motor and I think I may have found a 348 for it. And I think Don Jack's ears were burning(!)lol here are some pics I guess the next thing is to get my Pontiac Oldsmobile rear end housing the dreaded 9.3. Got a new English wheel and planishing Hammer and stretchers and shrinkers coming. The education will commence soon! I have experience with them but I've never owned my own personal ones. The delivery truck is supposed to be here between 1 and 5 tomorrow to unload! It's nice when you get older and Christmas comes every day LOL;) 20181227_121900.jpg 20181227_121913.jpg 20181227_205711.jpg 20181227_205648.jpg 20181227_211302.jpg 20181227_211219.jpg 20181227_211048.jpg 20181227_211251.jpg

triman62, biggeorge and tb33anda3rd like this.
  22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Your inspiring me with all those pics. Dang! Need to get house projects done first. I wonder if half painted, half the floors down and half the cabinet doors on ever worked out for anyone? :D

23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Car and truck your on a roll. Good luck..

24. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

I know where you're coming from with your home projects, I install the door and build on a porch and I still have to finish the sheetrock around it and finish painting the rest of the room also need to put new carpet in. I guess its about priorities (lol) or howmuch the wife yells!:eek:

triman62 and biggeorge like this.
  25. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

I spent about a half an hour looking for a photo that was similar to my grandpa's 32 Ford that wasn't really able to find one that I was confident that was a 32 look like a little bit later model! I'll keep looking though. No disappointments looking through photos of History like that, pretty crazy!

26. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

the pic of her in front of a '32 coupe is in every documentary … good luck.

27. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

I picked up a 3 in 1 slip roller shear and Brake, it's been sitting on a guy's workbench for about 10 years at still has a cosmoline on it and he's never used it. And the plasma cutter come from his vocational instruction class it has never been used. My bead roller from Eastwood and my English wheel will be here Wednesday afternoon. I could have bought a lot of hot rod parts for what I spent on this stuff. LOL:confused:
    Actually I spent less than half price of what new cost. English wheel and bead roller not so lucky. They are new...:cool:
    Still need to clean the cosmoline off of it. Picked up a can of elbow grease. Lol

Attached Files:

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like you can keep my beer cold in that cabinet. :D

Tooth and loudbang like this.
  29. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

Actually it would keep your beer cold, I replaced it with a new one from Ruby Tuesday on Vandiver and it was working when I took it out still has a cord on it. It's a refrigerator that I got out of the bar area. Makes a good workbench and a Welding Table too its good stainless. One side is full of spools of different gauge wire, just like the number 10ga wire I gave you for your fuel pump on the salt shaker!:rolleyes: it's amazing how much better Refrigeration Equipment Works when you take a garden hose and clean all the stuff out of the coils. LOLo_O

loudbang likes this.
  30. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Here are my measurements on my original frame: the frame is 13 feet long with a 109" wheelbase. Went with an early '32 Ford cross member, 4" dropped and drilled axle with hairpins. Any information that you need, I'll do my best to help - good luck on your build!

20190111_172751.jpg 20190111_173029.jpg 20190111_172712.jpg

Tooth likes this.