Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mr. Palumbo's Shoebox project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buddy Palumbo, Sep 10, 2011.

1. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

Been thinking about you and wanted to touch base this weekend but time got away from me. So glad to see you back here too!

Buddy Palumbo and Stogy like this.
  2. 54stude

54stude

Good to see you back here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Sorry to hear. I had the same experience 4 years ago and it certainly put the anchor on my shoebox build but getting back into it now. Things get better and you'll find your peace again. Take care

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Hi everyone !
    Wow, it's been a long time since I've been on the HAMB ! It's been a tough battle, that's for sure. All the legal junk is over (divorce, custody, etc) but now need to sort out my life.
    Not much has happened with the shoebox since I last posted. I think I only used it a couple times all season. It sat under a tarp at the shop, lonely. I just wasn't into it. I mustered up enough energy to finish the front suspension rebuild (except for the steering box), but that's about it. She's been such a trooper of a car. Every single time I hit the key, she starts right up, raring to go.
    I took her to a cars and coffee meet in Hershey early in the year :

[​IMG]

Took it to the Circle M vintage dirt track races (to spectate, of course) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front suspension rebuild :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Stogy, mikhett, pat59 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Right now, she's in process of getting the finish body work done. Hopefully she'll be shiney this spring (fingers crossed) .

A few pics :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point, she'll be this color, her original - Bayview Blue metallic :

[​IMG]

Stogy, 54reno, gas pumper and 4 others like this.
  6. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

A few more pics, just for the hell of it, lol !

Re-gapped the doors (the driver's door had about no gap) :

[​IMG]

Old-school French roughed in :

[​IMG]

Through the windscreen :

[​IMG]

My favorite co-pilot :

[​IMG]

Stogy, RustyDogg, gas pumper and 5 others like this.
  7. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

It's gonna look so good in Bayview Blue, Buddy! Good to see you're back on it!

8. Yay he's back! Glad to see you back around and back at it. Fingers crossed for shiny paint in the spring!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Ronnie Lawson

Ronnie Lawson

Good to see you back at it. I bought my 1950 sedan 10 years ago. Got her down to the frame and had to put the 50 on the back burner, wife got a cancer diagnosis. We'll she in remission, I've cleared my plate of all other projects, now its time to drag my frame back in the shop and give the old girl some much needed love. Thanks, for the inspiration!

10. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks guys ! I've been wanting to make a post here for a while, but haven't had much to say about the car. I'm excited to see progress update pics roll in. I've been back and forth so many times over what color it will be, but I feel happy about the blue. If it weren't for my friends Craig and Todd, it would be in primer forever. I owe them a huge thanks. My spirit needs lifting.
    Once it comes back home after painting, I have a few things to sort out, but at least it'll be nice-looking again.

Sorry to hear about your wife's cancer diagnosis, Ronnie. Glad it's in remission. Give her my best. Can't wait to see pics of your car on the road.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Stogy and Ford52PU like this.
  11. Welcome back Buddy, we missed you here. Glad you are getting back into it.

Stogy likes this.
  12. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks dude !

mad mikey likes this.
  13. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Well I’m new here but read your story and wanted to say I too have been there many years ago (and also lost money and cars) so I know some of what you’ve been and are going through. Will say a prayer for you and your daughter tonight and hope things get better in the upcoming year. Randy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and mad mikey like this.
  14. Ronnie Lawson

Ronnie Lawson

Thanks, Allen. Her treatment and diagnosis really made us so much closer. I have a long way to go before my 50 hits the road again. I was on here before under "Anarchy Choppers" and I started following your build back in 2011 until I had to put my car away. So it is really good to see all of the progress you have made, and you car on the road looking great.

Enjoy your daughter and your car, as kids grow up supper fast, my boys are 19 and 20, both off in collage.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

15. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks, Randy. It's been a rough couple years. For what I've given to lawyers and court stuff, I could've restored the car many times over and paid for a year of college for my daughter. It's a shame. Things will get better, I'm sure.

It's nice that you guys are getting through it all together. The car is secondary to family, no doubt.
    Progress on my car has always been slow, because I didn't want to use any "family money" to do it, and the last couple years it's pretty much stopped. I had to buy out "her half" , but at least I still have it.
    You're right about kids growing up. It seems like yesterday that my daughter was born, now she's 10 !
    Your car will get done in due time, and you guys will certainly enjoy it together.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Welcome back Buddy! Your car looks great. :)

17. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks !

18. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Welcome Back,Buddy.I lost my daughter in 2010 after 8 years I'm dragging myself out of the gutter and I'm gonna finish my 56! Hang in there! Mike

Stogy and Peanut 1959 like this.
  19. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Sorry to hear about your daughter, Mike. I can't imagine going through that. Getting that Fairlane done will be a sweet feeling, keep it up !

Stogy likes this.
  20. They will, just have faith.

21. Good to see your back on the HAMB , like your shoebox maybe you'll show up at one of our cruise nites at Wheels Of Time next year.

22. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks ... I'm givin' it all I've got !

Thanks ! Hopefully once all the bugs are worked out, I'll get to drive the hell out of it !

23. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Good to see you back with the shoebox!

24. These old cars, my own '51 shoebox are therapeutic along with this site. Mine when I brought it home. 51 on the trailer close r.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  25. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks . I hope I get enough peace to stick around a while.

They can certainly be therapeutic - or immensely frustrating when your mind is in overdrive on bad things.

Looks like you had a solid start with your car - nice !

Stogy likes this.
  26. Thanks. That's what I thought too. Look it up in the "Shoebox HAMBr's" Social Forum.

27. Ronnie Lawson

Ronnie Lawson

28. Koz

Koz

Good to see you back in action! Drop by when you get a chance. The shoebox looks great in primer.

29. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Holy cow. It's been so long since I was active here, I forgot about that forum. Gonna have to look it up. Old cars are usually worse than anticipated, LOL !

I need hot rod therapy

Hey Koz - long time, no see. Next time you see my ride in person it'll be in shiney color !

Koz likes this.
  30. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Another quick update - I got a few pics today of some more progress. They took the car into the booth and gave it a good shot of primer. Now it'll sit until after the holidays, then they'll block it out again. After that, I think it should be color time !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]