Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures What was the cheapest cool thing you’ve ever gotten?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flogknaw, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Flogknaw

Flogknaw
    from Texas

so stuff is pretty cheap if you’re good at BSing or if people are just nice, so what’s the cheapest part or Car you’ve managed to get your hands on before someone nabbed it?

I scored a 283 small block from a cool dude in Houston.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. leadfoot1000

leadfoot1000

I was at a pick n pull wrecking yard about 20 years ago on 1/2 off day and bought an almost perfect 64 Chevelle grill for $15. Sold it for $125 a few weeks later.

3. A few years ago at a swap meet. This guy was looking at a 3rd member on a blue tarp next to my stuff. He asked the seller what it was and the guy said "I think it's a 55 chevy....I need 50 bux for it." The customer shuffled around a bit and walked off.
    I swooped down on it and bought it right then for $50. It was a 57-64 Pontiac with a 4.88 posi. I put a $500 price tag on it and the customer walked by and when he saw it he came over to talk to me. He said he thought it was a Pontiac but wasn't sure. I sold it to him for $400.

4. Deuces

Deuces

My brother in law gave me a genuine Z/28-LT-1 intake manifold for free... Sold it too a buddy of mine for $150 bucks to put on a numbers matching '68 Z/28 that had a Holley Strip Dominator intake on the 302... I did the swap job for him and he gave me the Holley intake... :)

mgtstumpy, Flogknaw and mad mikey like this.

5. A guy I worked with years back gave me a good SBC 400 block for free. So I have a spare.:) Cheap is good but free is great.

Rich S., mgtstumpy, Flogknaw and 2 others like this.
  6. jim snow

jim snow

9 draw Mac tools top box. 40 bucks. Snowman

kiwijeff, mgtstumpy and Deuces like this.
  7. Stole that one!

Ben

scrubby2009, Deuces and jim snow like this.
  8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Let you know later today after I go look at another dead guys parts stash.

Boden, Flogknaw and Chucky like this.
  9. A few years ago at a swap meet i bought a pair of nice Cragar 5 spoke front runner(skinny) wheels for $75. A few minutes later I sold them for $150. Now they would bring 3x that...

mgtstumpy and Flogknaw like this.
  10. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

about 1988 or so I bought a 32 Ford frame for $20.

zz29, mgtstumpy and partsdawg like this.
  11. I bought an almost new polished 2X4 Edelbrock intake for a SBC for 40 bucks. It was only bolted on the engine and removed, never run. Bought a good 348 Chevy short block for 50 bucks. Got a Muncie 4 speed for free from my ex son in law.
    But all in all, I have lost a lot more money than I have saved over the years.

hotrodharry2, mgtstumpy and scotty t like this.
  12. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Last year at a garage sale I bought a 70` Chevy LT1 winters snow flake intake for 15 bucks, sold it 3 weeks later for 250.00

mgtstumpy likes this.
  13. Long story, but worth the read
    Was @ a local real old style flea market.
    Say an old timer havin trouble unloadin his van.
    Offered to help.
    Got to the back of it and there is a full set of REAL Haibrands 15x 4 and 15 x 8 1/2's. Brand new.
    Unloaded them and asked the ole guy what he wanted for them.
    He says how bout 20 bucs since you helped me out?
    Bought em. Came home and polished em up in less than 1 hour, stuck em on EBay the next day for $2500 buy it now and they lasted 2 hrs and gone.

kiwijeff, Fordor Ron and Flogknaw like this.
  14. pastlane

pastlane

A genuine Chrondek christmas tree, two Chrondek spin timers in their original footlockers, handicapper and all related paperwork. Came ESTA Safety Park. Aside from time & fuel to go get it, it was free. Best deal of my life (so far).

15. Bought a 32 Pines with shell for $150. :eek: Sold it a couple of years later for $1,500o_O What a jerk!:(
    Yes, I am a jerk!:rolleyes:

kiwijeff and mgtstumpy like this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a 3-2 SBC Edebrock manifold with correct 348 carbs and linkage for $40. Used it for 3 yrs on a 350. Sold it after we took it off for $400. In the mid 60's I bought a 60 Rochester FI unit for $125 and ran it on 4 different cars including my wife's 65 Chevelle for 5 yrs. Sold it in 1974 for $750.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  17. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

..... Out on a limb here.... Remember an old girlfriend in High School ... one beer...but seriuosly ...my original 'paint box' from 1964 at a yard sale for $2. My First Paint Box1964.jpg

kiwijeff, Spooky, Rich S. and 7 others like this.
  18. Jimmy six
    Not to throw rain on your parade, today Rochester fuelie units have hit 5 digits. I know, I practically gave one away in the late 60's foolish me.

19. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    thumbnail (2)
    by Travis Brown, on Flickr
    My brother called me one day and said, "Do you want a old Ford?, a man I work with has a Fairlane do you want it." " How much?" I asked. " He said come get it, his new wife does not like it in the carport and since you like Fords he said you can have it."
    I gave the man $500...just because.... and wrote out a bill of sale....
    It is a 1964 Ford Fairlane 289 Sports Coupe...parked in a covered carport since 1977.

20. kustomdeluxe

kustomdeluxe

Scored a chrome 97 , original Crager blower plate and beautiful Mc Cullock supercharger boost gauge for a hundred bucks. I'd say a good deal!
    IMG_2232.JPG

mgtstumpy, slim38 and Deuces like this.
  21. Fordors

Fordors

Yeah, I know all about being a jerk. In 1970 I bought my ‘32 5W as a channeled roller for $300. In the trunk was a Pines, but no grille shell. A local biker had a few ‘32’s over the years so I went to see him and traded the Pines straight across for a really nice ‘32 insert. Clearly not my brightest moment, but in 1970 who wanted a Pines except a restorer? I think maybe Chris felt guilty about that deal because he threw in a 2” widened ‘32 shell for free:eek:
    The same guy sold me a clean ‘32 frame in 1973 for $90. The rear horns had been cut off at some point and welded back on, but it’s a nice straight frame complete with K member.

mgtstumpy, Deuces and ct1932ford like this.
  22. 33grille.jpg 34insideheaderpanel.jpg 'nother one....a guy I worked with street rodded his original, complete 33, 3 window and GAVE me all his cast offs. That's how I got my wishbone, windshield frame, extra grill, inside header panel and many dollars of swap meet stuff.

23. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

In the 80's I was dealing first gen Camaros. Every couple of months I would stop by and ask about a 69 SS sitting in a front yard. Guy said he was going to use the 350 for one of his pickups, but I could have the rest. After over a year I stopped by again and he said "I'm never going to do it. Follow me to the tag office." He grabbed the title and I followed. He transferred it over to me and gave me the car....FREE. I drove it home.

mgtstumpy, Flogknaw, Ford52PU and 2 others like this.
  24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I bought a 4 way drill chuck for 6 bucks. Pretty cool until the cheap set in. It broke the first time I used it.

25. slowmotion

slowmotion

In the 80s, an original, chrome, dual snorkel L79 complete air cleaner from a '66 Nova, $20. Carried it into the Canfield swap meet a few weeks later and had $400 in my pocket within 20 minutes. Didn't feel like carrying it around all day, could have done a little better if I had....:rolleyes:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  26. And you shared with the old man, Didn't you?

Ben

Hombre, alanp561, Cosmo49 and 4 others like this.
  27. mickeyc

mickeyc

In 1969 I bought a 57 Corvette from the second owner. The deal was I had to either give him my fresh hopped up 327 and $200.00, or I had to pull the original 283 2x4 motor and give him the $200. I showed my usual brilliant decision acumen and opted to pull the motor. I was smart enough to do the deal on the spot. As word got around the neighborhood he was besieged with multitudes of propositions to make more lucrative deals with others. He was a man of his word and stood by our agreement.

28. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago, a friend asked me to take a look an old car that had turned up in a garage. Turned out to be a ’49 Cadillac Fleetwood. She asked if I wanted it, and I said sure, but she could sell it for far more than I was prepared to pay. She gave it to me. Turned out she’d inherited the house and contents from her childhood piano teacher; she’d had no idea she was even in the will, let alone sole beneficiary. I guess she felt karma dictated passing some of that good fortune along.

Subsequent research of the 331 engine is what led me to the Hamb, so it was a double-score for me.

caddy.jpg

tofords, mgtstumpy, Cosmo49 and 7 others like this.
  29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

1966 the Mercury News ran an ad, a Model A frame on the East side San Jose, $5.
    I took the address and swooped over in my immaculate '54 Ford Coupe.
    The guy opened the side gate, said "there it is..." but it wasn't. It was a DEUCE!
    Complete, with original K member, I didn't attempt to ding him down...Paid him cash money.
    I laid 2 moving blankets on the roof, he helped me lift Deuce frame (upside down) and we tied it front, back, and after I got in, he ran the rope over and through both doors to secure it, essentially 'tying me in'!
    Drove into the back yard, honked the horn, first wife untied me and we unloaded the "MORE JUNK!" (her words)

alanp561, tofords, slowmotion and 3 others like this.
  30. 10685rusty

10685rusty

Can top it all , went deer hunting and while in the blind the sun came up and I could see a 58 impala 348 block only on its side , I walk over there and hanging from a limb is the three deuces will linkage and manifold on ground , and air cleaner and top / filter element all in tac , forgot about deer hunting and ask the guy hey how much for parts he said $50

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mgtstumpy, Flogknaw and Deuces like this.