Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Damn I need a heater......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trollst, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Here's the T7 heater with the hosetails swapped to the rear and the bracket at the bottom IMG_20181130_092405605.jpeg

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. j3harleys

j3harleys

Several years ago I was at Deuce Days, I think it was in Navaro Ca. and a guy had a roadster with a vent in he firewall behind each header that he could open and close, It looked good and he said it worked very well. I don't think I would do it in a closed car but a roadster. May not work well in Minnesota in January but driving up the coast in California in early morning it might feel pretty good.

3. Here it is installed up in the scuttle of the Modified. Fits like a glove. I could have used the 3.5Kw version but it would have been difficult to hide it. The other thing in there is a servo from a Lexus Aircon system. It opens and closes the cowl vent. IMG_20181201_131039342.jpeg

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rjones35 and Deuces like this.
  4. knucklenutz

knucklenutz

Here is the heater that I am going to run in my '29 Tudor . Anyone know what it's origin might be ? My guess is F-1 Ford.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  5. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few years back a friend of mine decided he needed to have a 32 three window and the one he finally picked was in Colorado and it was January so I don't have to describe the weather. He bought a one way ticket to Colorado, did the deal and started home (Northern California). A few details about the car, it was 350, 350, heat & air, and (handles removed) electric doors. Know where we are going? Very rural freeway, heater not coming up to thermostat, he decides to stop and put some cardboard in front of the radiator. Gets out of the car with it idling, no coat on, and hears the wind blow the door shut. What to do now???? A good citizen stops to see if he needed some help. My friend tells him "if you have something I could break a window out with, that would be great". The guy produced a tire iron. My friend then proceeded to break the back window out of the coupe and reached through to the ignition switch in the center of the dash for the fob to open the door. By this time his hands were so cold he dropped the fob behind the seat, completely out of reach. The guy with the tire iron wanted to get back into his warm rig and get down the road so my friend ended up breaking the glass out of the driver's side door to gain access. After a very cold and windy rest of the trip, he stopped in Reno and had the glass replaced as to not loose face once he got home. And the story didn't end there, but that's all for now.

toad611, robracer1, Hotrodmyk and 3 others like this.
  6. F&J

F&J

my tummy hurts already...please stop

...needless to say he probably didn't bother buying powerball tickets for a while..:rolleyes:

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Ha! Reminds me of when I got my old camper van stuck under the light standard at the McDonald's in Ely and tore the roof vent off, at night in the freezing rain (also tore the ladder off the back, but still hanging on by the bumper, dragging down hwy 50 along with most of the light standard, sparks flying in the night). That was a cardboard over the radiator, every stitch of clothing drive home too.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

:) if it has ever been 28 degrees in the daytime where I live that would be some kind of record. as a matter of fact I can't recall seeing an overnight temp below 30 here in my part of the F'd up Bay Area. that must be why all these people keep moving here. it was a great place as I was growing up.. now not so much. it will only be getting worse, but it will never be getting cold.

9. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got this one on eBay for my 49 Dodge coupe...never seen a Goodyear heater...me likey image.jpeg

Boryca, Fitnessguy, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  10. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. F&J

F&J

I finally got my heater/defroster working yesterday. It's a Olds unit with a 2nd smaller blower for defrost.
    DSCN2167.JPG

I made the 40 dash radio delete plate to open in several positions to change flow to the windshield. Also added deflector fins in that plate to move air to the far sides. Last evening we had light drizzle at the festival and W/S started to fog up inside, the defroster worked super fast.
    DSCN2170.JPG DSCN2168.JPG

There are plenty of places & events to take your car, it does not need to be car related to have a blast all winter.. Yesterday at a town Christmas Festival. The car draws new people into your life. Let the kids enjoy it too. :) Rain, salt & kids crawling in/on it, does not keep me away. It's me enjoying life.
    DSCN2204.JPG DSCN2183.JPG DSCN2184.JPG DSCN2185.JPG DSCN2180.JPG

12. RockyMtnWay

RockyMtnWay

In these parts, heaters are very nice to have for sure.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    Fitnessguy, rjones35, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  13. F&J

F&J

Firestone had Auto Supply stores...that's one of their products, for whatever you drove, car or truck.

Fitnessguy, Deuces and tb33anda3rd like this.
  14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

IF an old heater is 6v blower motor and you've converted the car to 12v; how long will the motor last? I put in a 12v to 6v reducer but at 6v the air flow is wanting..At 12v the air flow is pretty darn good..Maybe get a rheostat and just run it a little faster; 8-9v?

15. F&J

F&J

It sounds like your ''reducer" has too much resistance. Do you recall the old 3 speed rheostat heater switches that hang under the dash lip? would that be better? I could mail you one to try. They are NOS spares I don't need.

16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

That would be great, pm sent.

F&J likes this.
  17. F&J

F&J

Just a heads-up to those running a 6v heater motor with the vintage 3 speed switch I mentioned above...

I was running mine on the slowest setting recently, and that switch will overheat in a big way. (too much resistance on low setting w/6v blower)

Luckily I had used a chromed metal knob in place of the plastic one, and that knob got so hot that you cannot touch it. I then ran it on high setting instead, but closed the heater doors almost shut, to keep the temps in the car from getting too hot.

18. jazz1

jazz1

I found the motor in my heater to be of a standard size. Removed the 6v heater motor out of the 1941 IHC heater and 1985 Dodge 12v heater motor bolted right in

F&J likes this.
  19. F&J

F&J

Dodge truck donor? I have a local friend who breaks up 80s to 2000s Dodge trucks to sell parts. I'll stop there today to look.

jazz1 likes this.
  20. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Just a heads up regarding the defrost of these firewall mounted units. With no fresh air being supplied, if it is humid or your coats are wet, the air in the car is being recirculated. Any moisture in the car will be heated and directed toward the windshield but if it damp air it will just condense on the inside of the cold glass. They might work to melt the ice and snow off the glass but they don't demist anything, so keep a towel with you, if you drive withbthewcowl vent open to provide fresh air it kind of defeats the purpose of the heater.

21. ^^^^You need a heater^^^:D

F&J, nunattax and Pufff like this.
  22. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I found a Goodyear too! Working on cleaning it up and putting in a 12v motor. It has a round, swivel face with 3 doors on it to open/close and direct air. Pretty slick design really.

Deuces likes this.
  23. Bring it on, I finally have a heater in my beater, it only took me 31 years. :D HRP