Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally dont have to build cars in the driveway.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordf1trucknut, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

If you are really lucky it has a waste oil heater, or you can install one, and not have to bother with insulation.

2. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D:eek: Outstanding Sir.Great score.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

enloe likes this.
  3. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Thanks everyone!!!! it is a forced air coal furnace, the floors were wet from me degreasing and power washing. Which still needs done some more after i scrape up some of the areas of 1/4 inch thick 70 year old grime and grease...

I got some more broken windows replaced and have been side tracked by getting some maintenance items done on my daily driver, the first vehicle to use the lift! I also have been doing some collision repair on a "new" car for my wife which i need to get some so i can get a reconstructed title for it.

It is so nice to have this building... working indoors is very nice!!!!

You can see the pallet of shutter materials behind the truck.... im gonna try to tackle that next week......

Once ot is more secure i can bring some tools and decorations over.
    20181205_103522.jpg

OFT, Greaser Bob, Woogeroo and 13 others like this.
  4. Coal= good hot heat. You should have access to anthracite coal in your area. Are there any mines left open there anymore? Here without a coal slip from an employee it is over $100 a ton for bituminous coal. with anthracite advertised for about the same but labeled "smokeless".

enloe likes this.
  5. raven

raven

I’d paint those walls something lighter and vintage looking. It’d make a huge difference in the lighting. Cool shop.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Woogeroo, kidcampbell71 and fauj like this.
  6. Geri

Geri

YOU- had luck where I had none. when I moved to Missouri in 2006 the first thing I did wa shop around for a contractor who would build me a 30x40 shop. after weeding out and got to what I thought was the best bang for the buck, chose an all steel building complete with concrete floor for 17K. I called the contractor -he came out hte next day- he looked at my property (5 acres in rural Mo) we chose a spot and he said he could start in 3days.
    now comes the ugly part- yes,I know better than to pay a contractor up front, I was in a hurry- he was convincing. he said "your going to give me 12K today and we'll start in two days", very convincing person.
    I wrote him a check for 12 K, within 20 minutes it had been cashed- its now 12 years later- no shop... never seen him again OK I got his biz card -this will help- or will it?
    looking at the card really for the first time, cell phone and no address, his ad was still running in the trade paper but no answer. whats that old song -take the money and run?
    he got at least another 6 people I'm aware of for a total of over 100K in 3-4 days.

7. 48fordnut likes this.
  8. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

The bad part is i already have enough to fill it up.....

23 t touring
    25 tt truck
    30 a coupe
    30 a coupe
    42 ford gpw (army jeep)
    50 ford f1
    52 ford f1
    55 willys m38a1 (army jeep)
    56 ford victoria
    70 land rover
    72 ford van.

Plus my projects....
    48 f1
    55 chevy
    68 bronco

Woogeroo, flyin-t, enloe and 2 others like this.
  9. There is enough room for a Shoebox project.

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I said, "All the wood."
    Sorry...looking at the first pic, I thought the walls were wood. Actually thought even the floors were wood at first. Nevermind...lol.
    Still cool. And happy for you. Your long-awaited reprieve after having to work outside for so long.

11. flatford39

flatford39

I just keep coming back to this thread....it keeps drawing me in. You have exactly what I want. Do you mind sharing how you found it and an idea of what it cost??? Just a range please. I need to start looking for abandoned industrial buildings or service stations.
    Is there any adjoining property where you could do things like sand blast outside?? Maybe a parking lot that can be converted into blast area.

If it was mine I would be looking for used paint booths and a vintage tire changer.

Thanks for the pictures. They are really appreciated.

12. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

There is a bit of grass yard behind it.. maybe 30 x 60 Or so. As far as price is was in the 50k - 100k range. I have been looking and trying to buy property to build a garage on or a garage for a few years... everything always fell through on the sellers end.

So a good friend of mine who i have built a few hotrods for (I used to do a lot for others before meningitis and a bad staff infection nearly put me under and really slowed me down), was offered the building by a friend of his who's dad started the buisiness. Well my buddy had told the owner he was interested years ago but had recently bought and renovated a nice car shop for himself and wasnt really interested in this one anymore....but asked the owner to give me a shot at it first before advertizing it, which he DID. He is a super nice guy and was really fair and helpful and is now a friend that i welcomed to stop in to use the lift for himself anytime.....so really the garage happend because of a good friend and super nice guy.

He stopped out this week and was glad to see me making improvements and cleaning it up. He said i would make his dad proud.

I have some cool old stuff to move over once it is more secure.....

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  13. flatford39

flatford39

Thank you for the response. I am going to start looking in earnest. That is right in my price range.

14. I've been out in the driveway or in our one car garage under the house for 40 plus years. Finally 16 years ago I said screw it. Drew up some plans, got town approval ( very challenging) then went to the well and borrowed a stack of money payable over 10 years. Wish I had done it earlier but I was in debt and underpaid for so many years so it finally happened. Glad I made the jump. 24' x 50', tall walls, vaulted with trussed roof. Heat, A/C running water, 200 Amps, TV, more comfortable than my home and room for lots of projects. iphone pictures 064.JPG

Greaser Bob, Woogeroo, enloe and 10 others like this.
  15. @2many projects - Good on you for getting it together. Nice shop!
    I hear ya on the underpaid part. Started my business almost 20 years ago, rough times for a while but fine now. Still totally love your OT El, my '72 is a driver shop truck.

16. Congrats man that make building cars so much more enjoyable, I'm happyforyou.

17. I completely fell in love with ElCamino’s back when I spied a brand new 64. The 65s when they came out really knocked me out. The New 69’s blew me away.
    As they popped out new ones I just got crazier for one but $$$$$ and life always stood in my way
    Finally 3 years ago I found the one I always lusted for and had to have it.
    It’s not H.A.M.B. friendly so I can’t show it off here. Now I want another, preferably a 71.
    I love the nose on 71’s. Single headlights and that grill spin my crank.
    If I find the right one I’m going to have to extend the back of the garage a bit.
    6 in there and I’m tight for space now.[​IMG]. The joint is packed now.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

18. SS327

SS327

Now is the last time your shop will be clean. I got 50x84 and I can barely walk through it!

Denny

King ford, raven, R A Wrench and 2 others like this.

19. Yes Sir, you are addicted! LOL

If I were not a transporter that likes to keep his equipment clean & dry at all times I would have many more!

Besides the two Duramax diesel trucks, open & enclosed trailers (which all stay inside the shop)
    I have :
    56 Pontiac Chieftan 4dr
    57 Chieftan 2dr fact. tri-power
    66 Catalina Conv
    73 Nova full chassis car
    92 Jag XJS Conv
    92 Jag XJS Coupe
    97 GMC Sierra (parts & grocery getter)
    07 XLR-V Supercharged Retractable HT
    Just sold the 64 Chevy Pickup in the picture!

Everything stays inside all year round.

The 56 Pontiac & The XLR-V stay in the house garage under their covers, but my saving grace is the building has an upstairs storage area in the center (probably 40 x 30) where I keep all the parts, engines, & everything else that would make it hard to walk around in the shop. I installed a sliding door for access with the fork lift to get the heavy stuff in & out. Picture with the sliding door open, I can also store lighter stuff in the trusses. Building upstairs storage is something you might consider to keep all the extra goodies out of the way, since you have the height!

Best of luck making it the way you want it! As much as I love building the cars, I have enjoyed starting with a "blank canvas" (building was just a shell when I moved in) & doing it the way I wanted!

God Bless & Merry Christmas!
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

IMG_20180822_123504898_HDR (640x360).jpg

20. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Well i got a load of coal and figured out the furnace... i got it warm enough to paint my wifes "new" car yesterday. I will start putting up the shutters tomorrow.

20181210_112244.jpg

21. Best way to start the coal is with a wood fire then add the coal when it is going good. The coal will then take right off and the heat is much hotter with coal, higher BTU's than wood. Nice looking bunker. How many Tons to fill it?

22. flatford39

flatford39

We had coal fired hot water heaters when I was in the Army. Pity the poor GI that fell asleep on fire watch and he woke up to 300 pissed off GI's that had to take cold showers.

flyin-t, Paul B, jazz1 and 2 others like this.
  23. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

killer building

24. 3spd

3spd

I am floored at what you paid for that place. I've always heard how expensive the east coast is but that building in my area would go for probably 500-700K. Count me jealous.

25. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

That is 4 tons. I havent quite got onto "banking" it overnight yet..... so far each moring i had to start over...

26. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I do live in the middle of nowhere so that effects prices around here. Location is nice though... a few mins from my house and a few hundred yards from the turnpike exit

jazz1 likes this.
  27. flatford39

flatford39

That's why we had to have a guy on fire watch in the Army to keep the thing going. I have know idea how you keep one going unattended all night. Is there gas or LP available??

28. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Gas is av availible, it just needs turned back on... so eventually i will add a gas furnace. But making tge building more secure and a new electric as l entrance are top priority.

To be honest... i am so used to working like this.. that just beeing indoors out of the snow and wind even without the furnace going feels amazing.

FB_IMG_1544648569320.jpg

FB_IMG_1544648357508.jpg

FB_IMG_1544648235879.jpg

29. Been there done that too, the good old days.

If you start at the door and just level it then slop it up in the back to the exhaust vent it should last you 12 hours. I had an old coal furnace in my first house when I left home and it was the big round one that stood about 6' tall. The inner burn chamber with the galvanized tin surround that captured the heat and sent it out through the house. I'll see if I can find a picture of one or take one of yours and post it here. Coal furnace.jpg
    This is what it would be similar to without the tin work. Inner works.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Woogeroo likes this.
  30. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Ill snap a shot of my furnace next time i stop out.

Today some friends helped me get my swinging shutters up. I think think they turned out well 20181214_142912.jpg
    20181214_142859.jpg

20181214_142902.jpg

Tim, Greaser Bob, Woogeroo and 12 others like this.