Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Sun Tune Up, Testers, Scopes, Analyzer, Distributor Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Johnny, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Huh, I didn't know that. Isn't there a ballpark figure available for what the full kit might have cost though? Cabinet, bells + whistles and the rest of it? Just curious.

loudbang likes this.
  2. The Big Shop

The Big Shop

hi we have the tut-1015 and cant seem to locate a manual anywhere. Do you have one or can lead me in the right direction? we mostly need a wiring diagram to get it up and running

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  3. The Big Shop

The Big Shop

Hi im needing some help please we have a sun tut-1015 and need a wiring diagram and manual for it and I cant seem to find one anywhere. We would love to get it up and running for our shop

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  4. There is one on Ebay right now.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  5. rowdyauto

rowdyauto

just acquired this, wiped it off and that's about it haven't tried plugging it in yet. 032.JPG

Kan Kustom, cactus1, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

7. Nice find. I have never seen a King tester, and it looks like a nice unit.
    I have a Sun and a Precision tester, and still use the Precision on my older engines. I hope your machine turns out to be functional, but it probably wouldn't take too much work to restore it. Normally these machines can be repaired by simply testing and replacing the defective electrolytic capacitors.
    Bob

Kan Kustom, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  8. Thanks for the link to that manual. That makes for a nice "tune up" refresher course. Even shows how to test old Ford Load-O-Matic distributors. :rolleyes:

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and Truck64 like this.
  9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

There sure is a lot going on inside an ignition distributor! 'Course it's all done by soul-less, inscrutable electronic boxes and gee-gaws today, which is of course a big improvement.

Any of you Wizards know if this superimposed primary waveform indicates excessive distributor shaft wobble? It was a rebuilt Cardone distributor. I put in a different rotor and it tightened up some.

IMG_0433.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  10. dan griffin

dan griffin

Check the end play between the cam gear and the dist. housing. If the shaft has to much play [.120 or more] there will be a slight change in point opening. If this so shim it to .010.

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and Truck64 like this.
  11. Terranova

Terranova

This is a Sun "engine speed control" tool /fixture. Anyone have instructions or experience with one? How does it work? I mean, I get the general concept, but how/where is it placed?

[​IMG]

12. Terranova

Terranova

I picked this out of my parents garage while cleaning and decided to check it out. !
    IMG_8160.jpg

Low and behold, look what it mentions! Ha!!!

IMG_8159.jpg

13. oj

oj

I wonder how many of them got left on the engine when it was ready to actually start?

14. tinsled

tinsled

I bought an old "Mac Allied Tools ET-440" tester as shown in photo below:
    IMG_2569.JPG
    Inside it looks othervise Ok, but the battery holders were rotten because of leaking old batteries.
    Looks like it had 6pcs size C 1,5V batteries (add up to 9V in total) and one size D 1,5V battery in another circuit.
    The holders were beyond repairable, thus I hooked a 9V power supply for the main circuit and common 1,5V battery for the other.
    When tested, it shows the dwell angle, but needle does not move when switched to tacho mode.
    Any suggestions, what might be wrong with the tester?
    (I hooked the red wire to distributor (-) terminal and black wire to car ground.)

15. WTF really

WTF really

Done some horse trading and got this today. It's double sided with the hangers. 20190425_132756.jpg

16. I added this little guy to the collection recently. 3B83FBC2-AA7B-47D6-846C-6F30471B273E.jpeg
    Cleaned up and placed with its counterparts.
    31F0E57A-AA52-4622-8B05-7FB519F848ED.jpeg

17. Nice find.
    Bob

cactus1 and loudbang like this.
  18. Terranova

Terranova

Anyone have a spare one of these gauges they’d let go of? AC257879-828A-491D-91C4-19FB5EBBD718.jpeg

19. egads

egads

Found this awhile ago. Sun Lieutenant patent date 1927. DSC00018.JPG

20. That's a beaut'! Is the finish close to original, or did you have to "touch it up"?

egads and loudbang like this.
  21. egads

egads

Thanks, Found it on the top of a 10 foot tall junk pile. I repainted the stand and rear cover, blasted the aluminum tray but just gently cleaned up the chrome ring,face and gauges. Still have to put on the cables and find the missing gauge.

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and WTF really like this.
  22. That's a beauty! :eek: I think that's gotta be the earliest piece of Sun test equipment I've ever seen. :D

Any idea what the missing gauge is? Wouldn't mind seeing some more pictures of this in better light and from a couple different angles if you have time to mess around with it.

egads and loudbang like this.
  23. egads

egads

Don't know what the gauge is, found a manual, but it only show's 3 gauge's.:( Hope this is not too many pictures. DSC00006.JPG DSC00007.JPG DSC00015.JPG

Attached Files:

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and cactus1 like this.
  24. Any markings on the back of the instrument panel? I was going to say "high voltage" for coil output, but that might be what the center "Resistor In/Out" does for you? Lead connections seem to indicate it only tested voltage or current.
    Can you draw or photograph how what is there is wired? That might tell you what the missing component was supposed to do?

25. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Betcha it was a vacuum gauge?

egads likes this.
  26. egads

egads

I was thinking a tach-dwell ? There are 2 empty wires behind the hole.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  27. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Ok... I bet that's it

egads likes this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

29. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I want one! There was a time, ya probably couldn't give those away. I've never seen one available.

loudbang likes this.