Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects anyone know of someone making decklid bottom edges...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sloppy jalopies, Dec 6, 2018.

1. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

looked through what cats I have but can't seem to find the bottom inch or two for a model A decklid.... ideas ?

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would happily pay $185 to not have to weld that whole, long, exposed seam.

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  3. CadMad

CadMad

I just remade and welded in the bottom 6 inches for a 30 roadster trunk. Any sheet metal shop should be able to fold a nice piece up in a flash. I seperated the skins just cos mine was a bit crusty. There is a compound curve that may require some hammer work or English wheeling if you get any higher than a couple of inches.
    I went for 1.2 mm to give a bit of rigidity to the very thin original metal.

F&J likes this.
  4. oldsman41

oldsman41

American muscle car they sell on eBay from time to time. Has the full outside skin American made for about 375.00 bucks

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

the bottom is compound curved... it is not just a 90* bend then folded over... I bought a couple skins $200 each, but they are tough to "fold over", and your inner panel better be right... ford used a stamping to do it...
    so no one makes a "patch panel" for the decklids...
    wanna bet flop could sell a bunch of those...

Frankie47 likes this.
  6. F&J

F&J

I made a 2" or 3" one for my 32. leftover scrap ...18 ga, a 4 foot brake, and I don't recall if I used a shrinker/stretcher, but it was fast. Made the inner piece too. I had no interest in peeling the skin off to hammer weld it solid. It's lap seam & skip welded...and I run in rain a salt...It's just a car, no need to get anal.
    DSCN2208.JPG

sloppy jalopies likes this.