Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Save of the day!!(single seater)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was't even thinking of baffles being necessary I just wondered if there is any that's all...all those segments I thought there might be. Were tanks baffled back then? I'm baffled...:D

chryslerfan55 and Desmodromic like this.
  2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

The tank is made up of three pieces, the center and two ends welded on. the thing that makes it look like segments is a band wrapped around the tank that I'm pretty sure had a felt or cardboardy type of material in it, sort of like an interior tack strip. I can't tell you for sure but I'm sure it doesn't have any baffles in it.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of fellas have used those aviation tanks (there are many sizes and no doubt had stored different fluids) is there a need for baffles on a small tank like that?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

It depends on the application, fuel will slosh around in an open tank, that can be problematic at times, but not necessarily. The weight of a lot of liquid shifting in a tank can upset the weight balance of a car in sudden direction changes. That's why tank trucks can be dangerous. But if we're only talking about a few gallons it's not going to cause much of a problem. Also, the pickup inlet can be uncovered when the fuel sloshes around, say under cornering or acceleration or braking, but on a carbureted engine that shouldn't cause much of a problem as the fuel in the float bowl will keep the engine running long enough for the pump to catch up once the fuel flows back around the pickup tube. In this case with the tank upright I don't think it will matter at all.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Fabber McGee like this.
  5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

image.jpg image.jpg Started bending up a floor in the tail section. Been cold and snowy so its a bit tuffer to get motivated.

brEad, Stogy, kidcampbell71 and 6 others like this.
  6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

image.jpg Man look at all this progress!!!! Floor is welded in.

7. Dakota Kid

Dakota Kid

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thanks, I hear there's an application in the mail for a certain car show in Sioux Falls. I better get extra busy!

9. Dakota Kid

Dakota Kid

Yes. Getting everything together. You should see something right after the holidays.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

So I have 3" between the axle tube and the frame and 2-1/2 from the center section to the floor. I had this old ford pickup steel hub cap laying around so I cut the face off of it and it gives me my 1/2". A guy will not even see it being that the gas tank will cover it. image.jpg image.jpg

11. Addiction is hard, but not as hard as the cure.

chryslerfan55 and biggeorge like this.
  12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I scored another farm all tractor gas tank today, for free! I was going to use a wwII airplane oxygen tank for my gas tank but I was going to have to cut the crap out of it to make it fit.
    I would rather cut up an old tractor tank so thats what Im doing now. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Greenblade, brEad, Stogy and 9 others like this.
  13. sodakmini

sodakmini

14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have the tank cut down and tacked to test fitment. Lost alot of capacity so i am thinking about a tank on top that will double as a filler neck. Im thinking i can probably pick up and extra gallon or more. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

tb33anda3rd, brEad, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  15. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I'd put a 6 or 8 inch strip in horizontally for more capacity. Put some water in it and see how much it holds. That old 6 will probably go to California on 5 gallons.

16. alchemy

alchemy

How far do you really think you will drive in one sitting? I'd think a small tank is a good excuse to stretch your legs more often.

brad2v, Blues4U, Fabber McGee and 2 others like this.
  17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Yes you are correct! But I guess I would like the extra fuel.

18. atch

atch

Are you gonna put a gas gauge in this thing? Motorcycle (or old Volkswagen) type of reserve? Model T type of wooden stick gauge?

19. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I was thinking about a stick. Any suggestions?

20. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

A truck one, those are hard to come by.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

If you need one that dumps further forward, let me know. I am willing to do trades not looking for money. I have car manifolds that dump not all the way in the rear if it will make your build easier.

22. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Nope mine will work already have the exhaust built for this manifold. There are pictures of the exhaust way back on the thread.

23. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Okie dokie

24. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Put two Buns on the side with a clear tube in between them, that way it always shows the fluid level.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  25. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Some tractor fuel caps have build in manual fuel level indicator. Float on a spiral that moves the needle according to float level. Lots of garden tractors snow mobiles etc. Maybe even one from farmall.

26. atch

atch

Pretty much one of the ideas for my '26 T modified (for lack of a better term) that I may or may not ever build. The other is a Volkswagen type of reserve. With both in place it should work for a driver quality rod out on the road. This for my car, not yours.

The unfortunate drawback to bungs/tube and stick is that you have to stop and get out to see. At least if you don't stick the tube out in the wind where it would be subject to getting broken if your front tire picked up a rock and threw it at the tube.

The drawback to a gauge is that it wouldn't be very traditional in a car like yours.

I'm thinking that for your car the reserve idea would be 1st choice. Using a choke cable or small lever tucked away somewhere unobtrusive (under dash??) to actuate it would fit the car well, I think.

b-t-w; I've never seen how the VW unit works, but have designed a dozen or so in my head, most of which I think will work.

classiccarjack likes this.
  27. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I will get something figured out. I will look into the vw reserve setup.

28. Looking great man.

29. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Atch, I looked up the VW reserve petcock. That is a Kool piece I think that could work. Let's see I have pieces from Ford, Chevy, Dodge, FarmAll tractor, Packard,Mercury and maybe VW?

30. How about a Cub type? Picture stolen from the net

[​IMG]