Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 GMC Stepside - What do I have?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Cole Jackson Bizwell, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Hey all, just recently introduced myself.
    I recently was gifted my granddads 1964 GMC Stepside, which was previously my great-granddads.
    He used to race quite a bit, but this was the only one he kept. It's built pretty stout from what I hear, but what exactly do I have? Being the young person I am, I don't have the experience to know every little thing's effect. Of course, my granddad has taught me a bunch, and has told me most things he knows about the truck. He built the engine and whatnot, keeping the original frame and body.
    So, here's what I know off the top of my head.
    383 Stroker
    Edelbrock 750, model 1407 (May be a 650 now, but I don't think he's changed sizes)
    Dart Iron heads ?200? (I don't know size for sure, might be a 215 but will ask next time I see him)
    3200 stall
    Dana 44 rear end with 3.73 gears
    Turbo 400 trans
    Edelbrock performer Series Mech. Fuel pump. Used to be holley blue top.
    Electric fans, unknown CFM as of right now.
    Edelbrock Victor Jr. intake manifold
    Hooker Super Comp headers, going into a reverse glasspack. Sounds like the beginning of Van Halen's "Hot for Teacher" when idling. But a bit faster.
    292 Comp cam custom grind (CS 292H-10 Special Perf HYD)
    Cam Specs (Single Profile)
    Valve lift - .507
    Duration @ .006 Tappet lift - 292 degrees
    Valve timing intake - Open at 40 degrees BTDC, Close at 72 degrees ABDC
    Valve timing exhaust - Open at 80 degrees BBDC, Close at 32 degrees ATDC
    For cam installed at 106 degree intake center line.
    Duration at .050 - 244 degrees
    Lobe Lift - .3340
    LSA - 110 degrees.
    Overlap is 72 degrees I think. Pushrod ratio is 1.5 I also think. haha
    Roller-rocker arms
    Compression ratio unknown at the moment. He used 113 octane when he raced it, but since he now uses the highest grade available at the station, preferably with no ethanol. He says it'll run on pump but will be nowhere near its potential.

So, what do I have? How should it perform, and should I keep an eye on anything in particular?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. squirrel

squirrel

You have an old truck. Sounds like the parts are set up to work together reasonably well.

Have you driven it yet?

What are your plans for the truck?

And most important, where are the pictures?

3. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

You have something you need to sell to me...at a good price!
    Lots of pictures as suggested.
    I'm hoping if you decide to keep it that it's amazing being in your family all those years. Sounds like a treasure.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Cole it seems like you know exactly what you have and it sounds like a good combination. Your grandfather can probably answer more questions than can be answered here. As far as performance take it to the track and you will find out what it does. Great history and enjoy it.

Pat

5. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Don’t blow it up

swade41 likes this.
  6. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

Alot of details, so what's the mystery? Sounds like a hot Chevy pickup. Should run pretty damn hard. Post pics doing mad burnouts.

7. Young Cole must have a job so here's the picture he posted with his intro. gmc.PNG

swade41, j-jock, RustyDogg and 5 others like this.
  8. 26Troadster

26Troadster

nice truck and nice setup on the motor. nothing special about the cam, i have one too. it's off the shelf 292 magnum street/strip comp cams.

9. Haha, I do have a job! Sorry about the long response. Anyhow I have driven it at least once a week for about a year now. Now that he trusts me with it, my granddad handed the title and all over to me. Anyways, here is some more pictures. Snapchat-1038284521.jpg Snapchat-567562484.jpg

10. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Nice ride ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone took out the 6 !

Cole Jackson Bizwell likes this.
  13. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Great truck. Take care of it.

14. Slopok

Slopok

Wish I was 18 again!;)

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Congratulations on receiving a family treasure. You come across as a very nice, polite young man, respectful of your family heritage. I think the truck is safe in your hands.

That is really a nice looking pickup and, snobbery or not, I have always favored the GMC name over Chevrolet, even when they were more the same than different. For several decades, GMC’s were the premium brand, most conspicuously in the engine compartment.
    That is, until the 60 degree V6 made it’s way into the pickup line...:D

Enjoy it to the max.....

16. What did your dad do to piss off your granddad?

17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

That is, until the 60 degree V6 made it’s way into the pickup line...:D

Enjoy it to the max.....[/QUOTE]

However, those old V6's are good for one thing, that being reliability. I have one here in a '66 Suburban, that I trailered home after a 30 year rest. I hooked the fuel pump to a gas can, poured a little gas in the carb, and it fired right up. Hopefully it will sell before spring, and I get interested in tinkering with it.

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cole, that's my dogs' name.
    Neat truck, a hot rod for sure.
    Anybody ever tell you the difference between Chevys and GMC's?
    Lockwashers.

19. I like the truck. I hope you enjoy it and appreciate the legacy your grandad passed on to you.
    Bob

20. Hey guys, thanks a ton for all the nice words - as for what I plan to do with it, I plan to continue to take it out often, perhaps a few times a week. When my granddad stopped racing it, it sat in his garage along with a Nova and a Barracuda. It sat for about 13 years being driven maybe a couple times a month. When he began letting me take it out, I would do so more and keep it out longer - never wanted to put it up! Before handing the title over, he sent it to his former racing buddy at a mechanic to have some issues fixed. The most major was a wiped cam lobe. We got it replaced with an identical one, along with new lifters, new carb kit, new fuel pump, hoses, brake hoses, oil filter, fuel filter, intake/header/valve cover gaskets, and put new coolant in. Only thing I'm thinking about is the cam. The guy said he broke it in, ran it for half an hour or so at 2000rpm, then went up a bit for a while. My only worry is what if they put the wrong oil in and the cam wears down? Or is that a concern? I'm picking the truck up tomorrow, so I'll post more pics then.

Ace61 likes this.
  21. Funny enough, he's on my mom's side. She's afraid to drive it. It has no power steering and she wouldn't be able to steer it until it was rolling pretty well!

22. Thanks! Interestingly, you'll notice the hood is actually a chevy hood. He pulled it from a 1965 c10 years ago when my great grandfather gave it to him. The original was rather rusty. I still have the original hubcaps, spare front bumper and left fenderwell in a box.

23. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Make sure you use "high zinc oil" in it.

Pat

24. Nice truck, do your grandpa right and take care of it, I have that cam, only solid lifter, in my T and it does sound hot for teacher..lol

lothiandon1940 likes this.