Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So tell me how this works. You remember the handy dandy little valve cover studs and cap nuts we ordered? Well I went to Fastenal and looked for some good quality 4" long 1/4-20 studs. There were none that long so I just snagged enough grade 5 1/4-20 bolts the correct length. Over kill? Yes. But I wanted a good quality bolt to start with... My plan was simply cut the heads off and clean up those ends so that they would thread into the head etc. That would leave the factory end for the little valve cover cap nuts.

When we got home (and before cutting the bolts) I just grabbed one of the cap nuts and tried to put it on the bolt. It was a crazy tight fit. It simply did not want to go. I tried all four from the package and a couple from another package and all the same. They would go on and start but it was a fight to get them to screw all the way down. You could not do it by hand. I put the bolt head in the vice and cranked on the thing to thread it down. Then it was just as hard coming off and the same the second go around etc.

The crazy thing is the cap nuts screw right onto the supplied studs...like butter. So I am thinking maybe they are not really 1/4-20. Maybe they are metric or something. So I go snag a standard 1/4-20 nut and it screws right on the supplied stud with no issue. So now I am thinking it is the bolts I bought. I take the nut off the stud and it screws right on the bolts from Fastenal...again...like butter. So go figure. According to the nut, the studs and bolt are identical but the stupid (I am sure made in China) Ford Racing Valve Cover Cap Nuts will only screw on to the studs that came with them. It is the craziest thing I have ever seen.

But I will give CJ Pony Parts credit. I called and talked to a tech guy and he is as lost as I am (probably not believing me I know I would be skeptical if the roles were reversed). Anyway he sends me to customer service where I held for a very long time and then gave up. The next morning I just sent an email through their website about the issue and that I tried to talk to someone in person the day before but no one answered me on hold. About 30 minutes later I got a notice from Pay Pal that they had credited my account for the full amount etc. I got an email later apologizing for the issue saying don't even worry about sending them back etc. Now that is customer service right there.

I did send them back however with one of the bolts so they could see there really was an issue. Just another crazy day with the Cobra...but we are getting there. I was at my local performance store yesterday and saw the same style of valve cover nut kit (albeit with out Ford stamped on the heads...LOL). He also has a small bolt section. He is a good friend so I told him if those little things screw onto a standard 1/4-20 bolt I would take three packages. They did and so did I...

loudbang likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I think that batches of bolts off the screw machine get checked every 100 or so bolts.
    Just you're luck huh!
    By the way; I like the Jegs $12.99 hood pin set the best. Looks the same as what I used on my 57 Chevy hood in high school in 1971.

enloe and Deuced Up! like this.
  3. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I guess by now you all have heard the Meltdown Drags are taking a hiatus for 2019. While it hurts a bit on the outside for us participants and spectators it is certainly well deserved for the staff. I don't have to tell you how hard they work all year long just create a few days of killer nostalgia drag racing. Hopefully they will rejuvenate themselves and give it a go again one of these days. But for now I just want to personally thank the entire MDA staff for all their efforts, it has been a great run. I am honored to have been able to participate.

However, on a side note, I can't help but think this is Jame's fault. Many of you may have noticed the timing of the retirement of the "saltSHAKER" and the announcement from MDA officials. Coincidence? I think not! I believe when they heard the old 409 would not be returning they simply decided it just wasn't worth it. LOL.....

Nice going James!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    SR100, Sancho, Tickety Boo and 4 others like this.
  4. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

....You know I love you right James?!!! LOL
    All I can say is you better find yourself some pie crusts!

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well we got a late start this morning but spent the better part of the day in the shop. The goal was to build a sheet metal brake. We have plenty of heavy angle iron laying about. So carefully choosing and cutting down to size three pieces of it was pretty easy. We designed it to fit on the end of welding table and bolted its base in place with couple of 1/2" bolts, larger washers and nuts etc.

Resized_20181110_154135.jpeg
    After we laid it out and tested our angles etc. we used a couple of the left over heavy duty hinges that we originally picked out for the Cobra's hardtop to give it the rotation. So we are satisfied it is going to work just fine but it will be sort of a pain in the backside to use. We will have to pick up the heavy center piece, place our sheet metal under it and then sit it back in place and secure it for every bend.

Resized_20181110_154248.jpeg
    Dad had the great idea above to sit that piece on springs (worn out sbc to be exact). We added an additional piece of angle iron to the top of our plate and drilled holes for 1/2" bolts. We welded the bolts in place and before putting the bend plate back in place we dropped a couple of the springs on the bolts.

Resized_20181110_154212.jpeg
    The springs hold the plate about 1/2" off the deck. All you have to do is slide your metal in place, grab the cordless impact and spin the nut tightening the spring and clamping the sheetmetal.

Resized_20181110_154129.jpeg
    When the nuts are tight just grab the bars and bend the sheet metal. Works like a charm. When your done reverse the nuts and the springs lift the plate to remove the bent sheet metal etc.

Resized_20181110_154142.jpeg

Resized_20181110_154152.jpeg

Resized_20181110_154305.jpeg
    It really worked well. Now we are ready to get busy on the Cobra again. When we are finished, we just remove the brake from the welding table and it can be stored on the shelf under the table. The throat is 49" side so it can bend up to 48" wide sheet. We will be using .040 aluminum. This thing bends that stuff like butter. LOL

porkshop, loudbang, enloe and 3 others like this.
  7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

48 inches may put a strain on it. ;)

loudbang likes this.
  8. RmK57

RmK57

I could see bending anything 2-3 feet the angle iron will start to flex in the middle.

9. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been working in Dads coupe this week. All he has talked about for the past few years was the time we had flames on it and called it "The Caledonia Kid"... named for the street he lived on for 40 years.

So this year I duplicated the flames from the side of the actual California Kid...

20181113_173807.jpeg

I think he is Heaven...lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  10. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

11. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not very happy with myself. I had three days (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) to really get something accomplished on the Cobra...and we only spent one of them in the shop. Saturday I started taking a serious look at the sheet metal work that lay ahead. We are were going to need some support fixtures here and there but over all it appears my initial idea of using the roll cage to attached the sheetmetal to is going to be very successful.

20181124_172015.jpg
    I did quite a bit of poster board pattern making before tracing it onto and cutting it out of the aluminum. This is end cap on the foot panel area just aft of the front wheel opening on the driver's side.

hidden framework.jpg
    I didn't get a photo of it but it has lightweight 1" square steel tubing behind it. Pretty close to the above layout. The tubing also connects this end at the top with the firewall/dash area further back. I was very careful in shaping the sides where it comes in contact (or near contact with the fiberglass body). We have a near perfect 1/8" gap all the way up that panel. The plan is to use some flexible seam sealer on these areas.

Chassis Upgrades.jpg
    We also cut the pieces for the sides of the Transmission (in the engine compartment) and since we were welding anyway, we went ahead and finished our chassis strengthening up front with two large plates on the frame "Z" and a heavy duty 1.75" cross bar. Finally up top we reconnected the two sides of the trans tunnel cage with an arched piece of 1.75" tubing. This will give us the clearance needed for the bell housing when we reinstall it.

Outside Frame Brace.jpg
    This plate should really strengthen the frame up front. I am very happy. Ready to rip the front wheels off the ground now and not worry about them coming down! LOL

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  12. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. asawman

asawman

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tilton stuff finally on the way. I started to order these pieces months ago but the pedal assembly was back ordered. So I just held off. Now that we are about to install sheet metal and box in the foot area I figured I better get them here and at least sitting in place etc.

Tilton.jpg
    I like the three tank unit as it has fittings so I am planning on using braided brake lines to connect the tanks to the master cylinders etc.

15. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had an interesting conversation yesterday with the guy that was installing an "auto-start" system on my truck. I asked how old of a vehicle he could install one on. He basically said he could design a custom system for a manual car as long as it had three things: An electronic fuel pump, some kind of computer control center (mainly to get a tachometer reading) and the car would have to have electronic fuel injection. All of which the Cobra has...

His main concern (from a strictly litigious standpoint) was some way to deactivate the system if the car was accidentally left in gear......agreed! He thought he could probably use some kind of standard neutral safety switch but added it would be much easier if the car had a late model manual transmission. I said you mean like a Tremec? LOL.

So I think we may have an accord here. I told him what I have and he is very interested in being involved in local car shows and cruise-ins etc. I said well don't kill me with cost and I will take you to nearly every show in the region and show off your skills. LOL. I think that would be pretty cool. Just sitting at a cruise in, people standing around checking out the Cobra and then BOOM, she fires up and just sits there rumbling. We shall see!

16. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sancho, loudbang, enloe and 2 others like this.
  17. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The t-shirt guys did a killer job enhancing my art. A little shading here and there and Wow!

slv63, Sancho, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The rest of the Tilton stuff arrived today. I assembled it tonight and sat it in place to see how we did? Pretty close. I didn't put the seat in and try it out but we are close. If we need more leg room we can relocate our steering column mount...which I was thinking about any way.

20181203_193030.jpeg

20181203_194016.jpeg

chryslerfan55, Sancho, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  19. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I decided on this hood pin set. They arrived a few weeks ago but I forgot about them. I found and opened the box yesterday. Funny I can not remember where I got them. I was about to type in, hood pin set from ____________.....when I realized I didn't know where they came from. I went back and checked all my Summit, Jegs, Speedway, Amazon and Paypal accounts and I see absolutely no evidence of these stupid things. It bothered me so much I even went online to my checking account for November and no record there either. So I have absolutely no idea where these things came from but I like them!

20181204_214750.jpg
    They have a smaller scuff plate than most and thicker too. I think they are going to work perfectly and they "apparently" came in a kit of 4 with one extra stud, set of nuts and scuff plate.

20181204_214812.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  20. I sent those to you. Please send $50.00. Thank you.

21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh good, that makes me feel better. Man I have got to stop drinking! I also found a Cobra tattoo on my ass this morning....you don't know anything about that do you! LMAO!

enloe, chryslerfan55, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I bet if you go back through your thread, you will find where you got those. I seem to remember you talking about them.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

He doesn't but I do; I have the video..

24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

X2

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Citizen......step away from the bong!
    Reminds me of the saying "if you remember the 60's, you weren't really there".
    Glad you didn't go with those spring loaded ones you posted.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. oldolds

oldolds

I think it would be funny if you really needed some info and had to reread all 48 pages of this build!

loudbang and Deuced Up! like this.
  27. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys are going to think I am nuts but I actually have an index for this build. One day about a month ago we had electrical issues here in the building. While our offices were fine the production department and shop had no power so we actually closed about 9 a.m. I took the first shift to just hang out and answer phones. So for several hours I went to all 48 pages, skimmed through them and typed a quick simple description of what was there. I have been thinking of adding it to thread.

28. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DRAG SNAKE - BUILD THREAD INDEX

Page
    1 - The Announcement, Original Dragon Snake Photos, Haynes Manual, slab side fiberglass body
    2 - First Look at the Vision plus first logo design, Holman Moody Valve Covers
    3 - Saltflats MGA, original Dragon Snake materials, original cobra chassis photo, original AC and Cobra Color Chart, Tremec 6 Speed, Redline Injection
    4 - Original Cobra Front End, Holman Moody Valve Covers Arrive, talk of front suspension options
    5 - NHRA Stock Sports Car Rule book, started thinking about wheel combination
    6 - More Talk of Wheels with visual aids, UBIQUITOUS
    7 - Talk of MOKAN, Video of Original Dragon Snake Documenting sell, more wheel talk
    8 - Wheel talk winding down, hardtop hardware MGA, Dow 7 Treatment,
    9 - Front Suspension Options, Body is out of the mold
    10 - Russ Meeks, Wheels choice complete FIA Trigo, Wheels on Cobra Mock Up, thoughts on engine
    11 - Engine Choice Made BOSS 363,
    12 - Hot Rod Article on DragonSnake, AC Cobra Brochure, Holman Moody on board, AFR Heads Chosen, Tremec specs plus it is ordered, Holman Moody Gauges
    13 - Scott comes through on narrowed FIA Trigo front runners, Fat Man Suspension ordered, Borla Intake (8 Stack) ordered, Engine Specs, Tremec arrives, Coker front runners arrive, Radir Slicks arrive
    14 - Cobra's First Win Video (road course), Body ready to ship, new (final) Drag Snake Logo, Shell Valley Cobra Stuff ordered, Full Cobra Graphic (final look) decided
    15 - 427 Cobra Drag Racing stuff, Boss 363 arrives, Cobra Body arrives, Front suspension arrives
    16 - Front suspension laid out, 6 ball Shift knob, ladder bars arrive, body halves put together, chassis starts to take shape, front suspension tacked in place, first look at rear end
    17 - Talk of roll cage, Coker Front tires goofy sides, Borla Intake arrives
    18 - AFR heads arrive, more chassis work
    19 - Holman Moody patches, Ford Racing engine parts list, Road & Track Cobra article, The Steering Wheel, Posie quarter elliptic springs, QA1 rear shocks
    20 - Shell Valley Cowl bar, marker lights, MSD Distributor surprise, Gauges arrive, first look at the rims
    21 - Rear Suspension plans and fabrication, Torque arm, Steering Wheel arrives, over flow tank arrives, talk of paint color, Wheels arrives and straight to tire shop
    22 - First look at knock off assemblies, more talk of color (1964 VIKING BLUE)
    23 - Wire Harness Arrives, Front suspension together, rear suspension work. Chassis stands on it own for the first time
    24 - More Chassis and rear suspension discussions and edits
    25 - Chassis and body both see sunlight, Wheel well trimming, body sits on chassis first time
    26 - Back to the Chassis, opened up the Boss 363 Crate, installed motor in chassis, heads and intake on photos, Dad tests from driver's seat, Body on with engine and trans in place,
    27 - Seats ordered, headers, first trans mount,
    28 - Still talking about headers and where they might exit, start of interior cage, engine mounts,
    29 - Chassis edits, Hardtop on for the first time, thoughts of hinging the roof, hood inner layer fitted,
    30 - Windshield fitted first time, engine compartment cage, Changed chassis back again,
    fuel pump arrived, Dash in for the first time,
    31 - Rear Roll bar holes cut in body, roll bar hoop and down bar installed, rear shocks installed, fuel cell fitted, powered by Ford emblems arrive, rear bumperettes installed,
    32 - More interior cage installed, the start of roof hinge debacle, door inner skins fitted,
    Learning a lot about hinges,
    33 - More Roof Hinge nonsense and the Truck Hinges fight us as well
    34 - Steering Column arrives, some Cobra badges and emblems, Hood hinges work, new taller hood scoop arrives, Lift supports for roof, Roof works, sneak peak of cobra in the driveway photos,
    35 - Door Hardware, bonding inner and outer parts, headlights trial fit, Found a 1964 plate,
    36 - Show Boards for the Cobra, cut hole in the hood, fixed the scoop, started some body work, Pan hard bar,
    37 - Decided to prime the body and paint the chassis, floor pans, rolling chassis back together,
    38 - Bodywork, Body in epoxy primer, body back on the chassis, Dad and the roof, Car ready to go SHOW at the Meltdowns,
    39 - Trip to the Meltdowns,
    40 - MH Slicks and steel wheels, ready to go SHOW at the HAMB DRAGS
    41 - Trip to the HAMB DRAGS, Dad's Coupe on Steel wheels
    42 - Engine out to finish its assembly, decision to build full cage, full cage fabrication, testing for push rods,
    43 - Boss 363 assembly,
    44 - More engine assembly
    45 - More engine assembly, roll cage strengthening, valve cover extensions, radiator arrives
    46 - Expansion Tank, alternator bracket issues, radiator mounted,
    47 - More alternator nonsense, fabricated my own bracket, oil filter extension mounted, original Dragsnake action video
    48 - Hood pins, sheet metal brake, starting engine compartment sheet metal work, Drag Snake T-Shirts, Tilton stuff arrives, test fit Tilton, Index for Build Thread
    49. Started working on sheet metal on foot boxes and firewall
    50. Weight Loss, Sheet Metal Foot box and Firewall, Cobra emblems and VIN tags re-ordered,

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  29. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I am not very happy with myself. I had three days (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) to really get something accomplished on the Cobra...and we only spent one of them in the shop. Saturday I started taking a serious look at the sheet metal work that lay ahead. We are were going to need some support fixtures here and there but over all it appears my initial idea of using the roll cage to attached the sheetmetal to is going to be verysuccessful.

Are you sure any of the sanctioning bodies will allow you to drill holes in the roll cage to attach body panels to? Don’t know about drag racing rule books but most of the road racing rule books that would be a no go other then a single hole during initial inspection to verify tubing wall thickness.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  30. RodStRace

RodStRace

I'd look into using panel adhesives to attach small flanges or tabs to use for screwing sheetmetal onto the tubing. The modern stuff is strong and shouldn't break any rules (but confirm first!).

loudbang likes this.