Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 Shoebox Ranchero Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jakesbackyard, Nov 28, 2018.

?

Hinge covers??

Poll closed Sep 29, 2021.
  1. Left

35 vote(s)
    89.7%
  2. Right

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

The “Capri” sectioning worked pretty well proportionately with the chop. And he did it in such a way that it doesn’t look sectioned. I have never cared much for most sectioned shoeboxes and it’s a monumental job.

I’m still a little concerned with how mine may look proportionately with the 4” chop, but I had to go 4” to match the F1 rear window. (I didn’t want to chop the rear window.) Time will tell...how low it sits done, color, wheels, tires, etc will all contribute to its “look”.

2. bchctybob

bchctybob

^^^^ I was thinking that but kept it to myself, he's deep enough into this build but a 2 or 3" section would make it even more incredible.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  3. The Joe Bailon 1949 Ford Shampoo Truck is really cool. Don't know if you've seen it or not. Google it. Bob Drone owns it now. I remember seeing it sitting in a driveway in Hayward Ca, years ago. There was another one at The Pomona show last year, or the year before that was really nice too. I think the Shampoo truck and the other one were at the Pomona show at the same time. Your's is looking good. I did a quick Google search for Shoe box ford Ranchero conversion, and a lot of utes popped, but so did some nice home built ones too.

Jigger, loudbang and jakesbackyard like this.
  4. Here's the other one I was talking about.
    47273249_10218675271651796_6417585144940462080_n.jpg

Jigger, Motorwrxs, Baumi and 15 others like this.
  5. flatford8

flatford8
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Lyman,ME.

This is awesome!!....I’m a Shoebox and pickup guy.....looking forward to your posts....Mark

loudbang and jakesbackyard like this.
  6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I cheated,,,,
    Photo not loading,,,

7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

53 Ute.jpg
    Here it is
    But I really like this project and the work involved,,

Jigger, Outback, Tman and 6 others like this.
  8. The one above looks like a Ford UTE, with a Merc. front end. It would be really cool to have.

OahuEli and loudbang like this.
  9. junkman8888

junkman8888

My advice before chopping or sectioning any vehicle is to take a tape measure, a contrasting color paint pen and make marks an inch apart up the side of the top or door/quarter panel. When you "photo-chop" or "photo-section" the vehicle the marks let you know exactly how much metal to remove.

williebill and loudbang like this.
  10. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

Jakesbackyard I'm really enjoying your build. It's a cool idea well done and brings back memories of my first car/truck. My dad gave me a '56 ford with broken back window and messed up trunk lid when I was in high school. I really wanted a truck for my dirt bike and he suggested making a truck out of the '56. He cut the notches, folded the top down and welded it all with an acetylene torch including cutting out the rear window openings and carefully "hemming" the edges for plexiglass windows. I did the grinding, filing and sanding and painted it in my high school shop class. We didn't attempt a tailgate and I made a wood bed floor but it was always fun to drive and I always got the comment in the gas station - "I didn't know they made a '56 Ranchero- that's cool!" Thanks for the memories and keep up the good work.
    bomonster-first-truck.jpg

Baumi, Jigger, MO_JUNK and 27 others like this.
  11. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Thank you. Great story and car.

Kordless8 and loudbang like this.
  12. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

The 56 makes a great looking Ranchero. Anxious for more on the 49.

loudbang likes this.
  13. old round fart

old round fart
    from Norman Ok.

The guys at Kindigit made hidden hinges for a nomad. If you have an extra leg they may duplicate it for you! Love

14. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Just started following, really nice job so far! -1.jpg
    Since you all are still talking hinges, here's a thought, incorporating the hinges into a bumperette.

Tman, acjcf2, brEad and 4 others like this.
  15. I like your thinking there but I see an issue. With the pivot mounted that far out the first movement of the Gate would be Up and the center lower edge would be inward. How would you cure that or should I say Latch and Unlatch it?
    The Wizzard

loudbang likes this.
  16. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Yes it is, I tried to sell it awhile back, but no one even offered a stupid low-ball, so now I will keep it.
    It will be converted to left hook, and either a built 223 with a 5 speed or a Y Block/C4 for drive line. I will include all the Merc doors and chrome and the very jet inspired dash.

brEad and Hamtown Al like this.
  17. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Wizzard,
    The hinges stay where Jake has them now. The bumperettes merely hid the hinge aesthetically by having the pivot point be the same diameter as the bumper bar. I added some more detail.
    -1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Hamtown Al, Pist-n-Broke and loudbang like this.
  18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Honestly I wasnt sure about the whole idea, and wouldnt have thought the idea of the back of a truck cab would have looked good.
    I also wouldnt have thought the the ranger bed was a good idea, I also wasnt sure about the chop....
    However I was dead wrong, you made it all look great.....I was ok with the simple hinges you came up with to begin with even tho the covers look good too....

No disrespect to anyone but Sorry, I dont like that bumper and I dont think I ever saw a section I liked either, also this looks 10 times better than any ute I ever saw. (but who am I?)

So I think my point is, Trust your own instinct like you have been, I think you are nailin it:cool:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  19. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Thanks much for the photo shop ideas. I wish I could do some of that. I’m satisfied with my hinges as mounted. I’m confident they’ll blend in with the painted covers and I will use the stock stone deflectors and and bumpers.

Thanks much...I’ll keep pounding away.

20. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

This is one of my favorite shoeboxes. If someone wants to do a little photo shopping to make this into my Ranchero I’d love it.

The look of this coupe is real close to my final vision for the Ranchero. It won’t be a wild custom. I feel just being a well executed Ranchero will be custom enough. I tend to build cars clean and simple. I even like the color. My “line” for this build is “Ford should have...”.

5EF7E25D-E653-42F2-A588-524831578F29.jpeg 7B7BBA9B-230B-49C0-9E3C-546B5E5280E5.jpeg

Outback, Randall, j-jock and 16 others like this.
  21. dln1949

dln1949

Absolutely bitchen build, and the hinge covers look great. All the discussion over hinges made me think of a 65 Falcon sedan delivery I had, very simple hinge system, but the tailgate may be too flat. Then I thought of the earlier Falcon ranchero's, 60-63 had a rounder rear end and maybe same style hinges. If your truck looks like that grey(?) sedan no one will have the nerve to quibble over hinges.

22. beater40

beater40

Thinking about the trunk hinge, have you had a look at a Woody, we had one here recently and it had a piano hinge right across so it opened flat. I can't remember now where the curve of the panel went but a wide recess for the licence plate and short bumper like off a 55 Pontiac maybe.
    Your doing a great job there, I like it.

Sent from my VFD 710 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  23. paint it the color of that 50 coupe, it'll be perfect!,...same wheels/covers too

jakesbackyard and Pinstriper40 like this.
  24. Did the donor bed have hinges? I'd be concerned with hardware store hinges, how they would hold up over time. You'll need something to support it when open too. Chains are too ugly for all the nice work you've done so far.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Great work . I'm loving this build !

26. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Shit you guys, he has hinges he's satisfied with, lay off would you.

Tubing bed rails in post 94 really dress that one up, don't you think? Might be something to consider here. Sort of streamlines it.

Jigger, Randall, brEad and 5 others like this.
  27. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

These aren’t plain house door hinges. They are heavy duty commercial stainless steel door hinges. I think they’ll last. Not sure what I’ll use for supports yet, but it won’t be chains.

Randall, loudbang, slv63 and 3 others like this.
  28. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Thanks. Yes it’s time to lay the hinges to rest. They’ll be fine. Those rails on the “Capri” are functional exhaust. I’ll pas on that.

29. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

I’m still playing with the tailgate. Narrowed (3 1/2”) and thinned the depth (1/2”) of a ‘50 license surround today.

7649DC5B-EF8E-4388-AEDB-5DEEFAF26D9C.jpeg 51CF7366-6FD8-4834-BD31-232479915DB4.jpeg 462DECD8-FD17-4905-AA47-16A88C8887CC.jpeg

Jigger, MO_JUNK, Randall and 23 others like this.
  30. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

upload_2018-12-8_18-12-55.png
    Poor attempt but heres a "rough" idea, maybe someone will chime in and do a little better;)