Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mass registration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlmb, Dec 4, 2018.

1. carlmb

carlmb
    from boston

Good evening I just purchased a 47 style master that was previously registered in New Hampshire and sold to me on a notarized bill of sale. Here is the issue. The VIN shown on the registration is the model # from the vehicle taken from the plate under the hood. I found the actual VIN on the plate on the passenger door pillar. Should I try and register as is or present the Mass RMV with the VIN I found? Thanks for any input.

2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Take this for what you will......

Ignorance is bliss.

Johnny Gee, pitman and NashRodMan like this.
  3. greener200

greener200

IF you listen,you can here a can of worms being opened ,,,,,, Massachusetts is tough To get a sticker they now take a photo of your odometer and Vin # . Your firewall plate will pass,just change it . I would ask to have the guy write you another one with the vin # from the pillar . Where ever the correct vin is on the vehicle that is the number you want My 2 cents

XXL__ likes this.
  4. F&J

F&J

Just a question to a Mass car guy...(yes use the legal serial number)..but..how does a Mass resident get anywhere without a prior registration paper that shows that true number? I thought Mass needs way more than a bill of sale on a "non titled" out of state car?

gimpyshotrods likes this.

5. pitman

pitman

New Hampster, Ma,
    and the great Legal Imbroglio.
    Up heah, back when two fin
    equalled a sawbuck.
    One wrote up a bill-of-sale.
    Later when you'd register,
    the great state of NH reqd
    a motor, or serial number. :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  6. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

I would investigate if there is a process to correct incorrect info on a registration/title. If so I'd register/title it with the number you have on the NH paperwork. Then after a bit of time file the paperwork to "correct" to the VIN.

This is similar to older cars that were commonly registered to the engine number. There is typically a process to change the paperwork to the body/frame #.

Again do research first by asking questions of the DMV but prior to actually registering. You dont want some mis-informed DMV front counter worker making things up when your actually trying to register.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Try it....all she can say is no........good luck !

8. greener200

greener200

I have found a very nice and neat,complete bill of sales is the best . Year, make, model ,vin# fuel type,number of cylinders, how many passengers ,,,,,,,all the crap that's on a registration. at the bottom of the BOS. Have two "witness" sign an date also you will pay 75 $ for a Mass title .plus sales tax .I dont know what you paid , but I wouldn't go too low

9. twolane1956

twolane1956
    from Mass.

I had this happen with a bike I bought in Ct. when the PO registered it somewhere along the way somebody screwed up the Vin and nobody ever caught it. You need to download a Vin check form from the RMV's website then call your local Police Dept. and request a Vin check, they will send an officer out and you can explain the situation to him, he will run the number to see if its stolen then he should sign off on the paperwork. I had no problem at the Registry when I did this. Also your bill of sale needs to have a purchase price on it, even though they charge you book value.

10. Duellym

Duellym

that's basically how my truck is titled, as far as I'm concerned nobody but me is gonna know about VIN on the frame, so I'm just gonna put a firewall tag on it and not worry... and that's how I'd title your car if i were you.

if i were to be questioned I'd probably say something along the lines of "its not the original frame... it is a hot rod after all.

11. The last thing I would do is add a firewall tag to a vehicle, but that may just be me. If you encounter a knowledgeable person at the DMV or maybe during a traffic stop a new tag would raise a red flags and lead to further investigation.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  12. big john d

big john d
    from ma

had to go through this recently found if you go to your insurance company they may be able to help you navigate this they did for me good luck

Rich S. likes this.
  13. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i would use the vin number you found if the model number doesnt have enough digits IE numbers in it they may question it have the guy write you a new bill of sale , using the vin number , being a private sale no mater what you put for a dollar amount the DMV is going to look at the Ma department of revenue site and assign a value by their guide lines unless your bill of sale is from a licensed used car dealer , they accept the amount from a dealer no problem i had my insurance agent look over my paper work , then went to DMV emptied my wallet and my title arrived 4 weeks later this was for my 34 ford pick up , also if theres a date on your bill of sale dont wait as the tax amount accrues daily until you pay it

14. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

You are correct. No Title, then you need a Prior Registration.

15. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

do you have a family member or friend who lives in Vt .....