Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Aging a new license plate...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sweeney, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Sweeney

Sweeney

California now offers a license plate with the pre-70's colors of yellow on black. I've ordered one to replace the blue on white for my station wagon, but they're really stark and bright and I'd like to weather or age it some, without immediately getting pulled over for altering it. I'm guessing lacquer thinner and a scuff pad but is there something else you've tried?

This is kinda the deterioration I'm shooting for...
    [​IMG]

2. oldolds

oldolds

Have some kid run over it with bicycle a couple of times.

LOU WELLS, Truck64, clem and 7 others like this.
  3. Sweeney

Sweeney

I like the bike idea...

I thought about the flat clear but wondered if it will kill the brightness of the plate enough...have you tried that approach?

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mist coat it with some rattle can flat black?

5. Throw it in the sandblaster and give it a quick hit from a distance, that will age it. HRP

LOU WELLS likes this.
  6. I "aged" a reproduction black powder gun by burying it for a week or two.

7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Don't want to rain on your parade but...

According to California law 5201.1 (c)

(c) A person shall not erase the reflective coating of, paint over the reflective coating of, or alter a license plate to avoid visual or electronic capture of the license plate or its characters by state or local law enforcement.

And in the state of California, the minimum fine for an infraction is $1,105.

8. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Throw it under a UV lamp for a month or so, after all they get the aged look from being out in the sun for all those years.

Flathead Dave and belair like this.
  9. I would think twice before doing that,,, kinda against the law in most states to deface a plate. Dont ask how I know.....Mitch.

10. Sweeney

Sweeney

I get what you guys are saying but I think there's a big difference between aging the plate which is going to occur any way over time, and defacing it so I can get away cleanly from a hold up! It will still be clearly legible...just not so shiny.

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make it work its whole life at a job it hates.
    And married to a mean woman.
    12 kids.
    Arthritis.
    That'll age it.

J.Ukrop, bobss396, 40ply and 26 others like this.
  12. That’s funny!!:p

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Man, I can still remember a time when people wanted everything on their cars to look as nice as possible....

37hotrod, LSGUN, Dirty Dug and 29 others like this.
  14. nickleone

nickleone

tinted plastic cover

nick

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  15. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Every time you wash your truck, wash the plate with Comet to "get the bugs off". That'll "clean" it up real nice.

16. Sounds like the lyrics to a Blues tune.:cool:

17. lay it in the driveway for about 30-40 years.

clem likes this.
  18. BJR

BJR

Now that's Traditional!!

alanp561, Tim, GuyW and 2 others like this.
  19. Watch it now. You might get this whole thread killed with that kind of talk ;)

upspirate likes this.
  20. Dust it lightly with a pinch of sand, mostly on the black with a few on the yellow, then hit it with the clear satin. The sand bits will look just like rust pits.
    Practice on black painted cardboard or similar. If the rattlecan tends to blow away too much sand, you may have to sprinkle the sand onto some wet clear, then seal that with a second coat.

21. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I would lightly scuff it with one of those untra fine foamed backed sanding pads. Lightly is the key word here.

22. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You and I may think that way, but I don't impose fines and jail time.

25. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Yeah, what he said...

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah hell send them up and I'll stick them on my wife's ride for a couple of months and they will look older than hell when you get them back as she can beat the hell out of anything.
    I'd go along with scrubbing the "bugs" off with some Comet or Bon Ami and laying them out in the weather for a while if the truck isn't ready to drive.
    I don't always agree with Moriarity 100 % but what he said hits home. Most of us older guys busted our asses all of our lives to have something that looks nice and now you guys thinking having your ride look like hell warmed over is cool.

27. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I do envy you guys … all we have is YOM plates for $25 a year extra.

LOU WELLS, egads and e z i like this.
  28. XXL__

XXL__

Not really.

Special Ed likes this.
  29. F&J

F&J

I have two sets of CT 32 plates, one set here was a little rusty and whatnot. So somebody told me CT-DMV does not allow repainted plates.. So I mix up perfect matched colors in enamel anyways.

Next day I need to bring them in to DMV for a visual inspection and they run the numbers. I put them in a manila envelope as the paint was not quite cured yet. :eek: (I also had the good set in the envelope just in case)Well, it's late Oct 2016 and they pushed the heat way up in the place..like 80-90 F.....I sat 1.5 hours...then my number gets called. She said lets see them.. I only held them up because the heat & closed envelope made them smell like wicked fresh paint. Nope, she wants to go scan them for records, and starts saying to the DMV crew "Wow where do you find such perfect plates" Thank goodness she had so much freaking perfume on she could not smell the paint.. LMAO here...

Moriarity, chevy57dude and Special Ed like this.