Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP ... Sam Foose

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Nov 28, 2018.

1. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Our sincere condolences go out to the family. We had the honor of meeting Sam Foose at his house in Santa Barbara. There was a little kid named Chip that was well-behaved and running around the compound. We saw several hot rods in various stages of builds. But, we were up there for a photo shoot back in Goleta and were in awe of just being introduced to Sam Foose by our friend, Big Hearted Ken from Goleta. Thanks for the tour and memories.

Every time we are in Santa Barbara for some reason, (if anyone needs a reason,) we think of that moment in time, a long time ago.

A legend in our times...adios.

Jnaki

Stogy, deucemac, Irish Mike and 2 others like this.
  2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Dang. Didn't wanna read this first thing in the morning. RIP.

Stogy likes this.
  3. RIP Sam Foose.
    Condolances to Chip, Family and friends.
    Huge loss for them, and the Hot ridding community.

Stogy likes this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

Rest In Peace Sam..... :(

Stogy likes this.
  5. 392

Another founding father of the hobby, gone but not forgotten. Passed the torch to many.

Stogy likes this.
  6. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

R.I.P. Mr. Foose,sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Sad day indeed, RIP Sam

Stogy likes this.
  8. God Bless Sam and the whole family. Santa Barbara finest custom car guy.

Stogy likes this.
  9. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

What can you say,another great one gone...sad.

Stogy likes this.
  10. Having had the opportunity to interact with Chip over the years on my job I can say he’s a gracious man, no ego, easy to talk to, truly loves what he does, and would do anything for a fan...and I know he loved his Dad...always spoke highly of him, the values he taught, the work ethic he taught..I never met him, but I could tell the way Chips eyes lit up
    When his Dad’s name came up he was a special person..Here’s a pic of some Sam’s work
    God speed to the Foose Family.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  11. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Is there a go fund me thing for Sam’s wife Terry. Funerals aren’t cheap

Stogy likes this.
  12. Burny

Burny

RIP Sam Foose... I was just looking at an old Magazine article about the latest shoebox he built with Don Lowe, whilst clearing out some old mags. So sorry to hear...

Stogy likes this.
  13. papacub

papacub

Condolences to the Foose family and R.I.P. Sam!

Stogy likes this.
  14. woodyTom

woodyTom
    from canton MI

R.I.P.

Stogy likes this.
  15. Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Stogy likes this.
  16. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Sam was another pioneer of our hobby. RIP Sam, and condolences to the Foose family

Stogy likes this.
  17. From Chip's Facebook page:

The Official Chip Foose.jpg
    The Official Chip Foose

Sunday, December 2nd 2018

Lessons for a fan

As long as I can remember I have been a fan of my Father’s, not knowing at the time how truly talented he was at building “bitchin’ stuff” as he called it. I was a fan because he was Dad, my Father, my hero, I wanted to be with him every moment, I wanted to be just like him.

Dad was my amusement park at home always playing with me and taking me places with him. He was quite a talented artist as well. At age three I would sit next to him for hours watching him draw and copying it myself over and over again. I wanted to be as good as him. When he finished he would help me. Show me how to draw ovals for wheels, how perspective worked, shading, etc. He made paper come to life and made thoughts become reality on the page. On the weekends we would go to the garage or to the shop where I got to help build those paper dreams into reality. The lessons learned have been my guide through life.

The quotes he used to teach me apply in all aspects of life. Such as:

• “If you’re going to do something, do it right, or don’t do it at all”.
    • “Pay attention to the details and the large areas will take care of themselves”.
    • “Always act and make the choices in life that build your character, (when we are not there) as if you mother and I are watching you”.
    Too many lessons to list, but they flood my mind today. Because he had a true love of comedy he had more jokes than quotes of wisdom, so he would add something like:

“Confucius say man who fart in church sits in own pew”.
    Then laugh harder than anyone in the room with a laugh so infectious, we would all laugh! His lessons were so simple, elegant and full of life.

When it came to design it was “K.I.S.S.”, “keep it simple stupid!” He had a metaphor he would tell using the story about a women at a party. Take a lady at a party who is dressed to the nines; long black dress, mink coat, all the jewels she ever desired, big hat with all the fixings. He would say “she has it all!” Now take this same lady and keep the simple dress, one of the strands of pearls, a simple elegant pair of earrings and a great pair of shoes and now she becomes the most attractive women in the room! “Less is more” he would say. This is design sense that I’m blessed to have learned from him. He taught me that trendy design dates faster than bell bottoms on a hippie. That good design is timeless. This worked, whether we were remodeling the house, building a pool in the back yard or an elaborate custom at the shop. If it involved something we had never done before, he’d say “If someone else can do it, we can too!” I heard him tell many customers, “If you can pay for it we’ll make it go to the moon.” (He also worked on the Lunar Mobile with Delco in the 70’s so he meant it)! He truly believed he could do anything he set his mind to and I watched him do it many times, all the while learning how talented he really was. He could do it all! And do it with a smile, a joke and a beautiful laugh.

I am blessed to have shared a passion with my Father, and I’ve spent my whole life striving to make my hero proud. On November 27th, 2018 I held his hand and felt the warmth leave with his soul. So sad, yet so calming after watching him battle for weeks. For me the toughest days are ahead as projects roll out of the shop and wishing he was there to share this new accomplishment with. He gave me his talent, opportunity, work ethic and desire to build.

It takes a team. I want to thank all the people who have helped me with every project I’ve been a part of: Lynne, my wife and soulmate; all our customers who have allowed us to build their dreams; networks of people and companies; sponsors; coworkers; friends and family. Everyone who has helped me in my quest to make my HERO proud!

I love you Dad! My career is an extension of yours, I will miss you forever, thank you for being my best friend, your Son your FAN

~Chip

Young Chip & Sam.jpg
    Chip & Sam Foose.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

great tribute by Chip about his Dad

Stogy and HEMI32 like this.
  19. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Praying for his friends and family.

Stogy likes this.
  20. jchav62

jchav62

What an awesome tribute. A tearjerker. Condolences to the Foose family.

R.I.P. Mr. Foose.

hidez57 and Stogy like this.
  21. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

To have a legacy such as Sam's, and to be able to see it continue in Chip's work, must have been very rewarding. Both father and son were extremely blessed to have each other. Here's a couple pictures of the squarebird Sam built. 800px-Bob-foster-1959-thunderbird2.jpg 800px-Bob-foster-1959-thunderbird.jpg

22. scruff

scruff

Sorry to be reading this. Back in 99 a buddy and I decided to fly out from Toronto to the 50th roadster show. We flew in to L.A. and drove up the coast, along the way my buddy says "hey this is where Sam Foose lives." We pull over to a phone booth and my buddy calls 411 and a few minutes later is talking to Sam. He invites us over and couldn't have been more friendly and regular guy to two complete strangers from Canada. He was working on the blended 55/56 chevy ragtop for a customer and was more than happy to show us and discuss the finer points of the build. We were aware of taking his time and left hoping we'd someday see him again . A great craftsman and a great guy.

Sent from my SM-G920T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have great respect for the high standards the Foose family has obviously always set for themselves in work ethics, personal character, and the importance of family.
    The genious artistic abilities are a bonus.
    Sincere condolences and peace to the Foose family.

Stogy likes this.
  24. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

Sam set the bar high. Only a very talented few will ever come close.
    Condolences to the Foose family.

25. lucky ink

lucky ink

26. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Godspeed Sam RIP at a 100mph

27. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

My sincere condolences go out to the family, I had the pleasure of meeting Chip at a car show on Fathers day some years back and asked him how his dad was doing, I know his Dad was a big Inspiration and great teacher too!

28. Here's a few photos from Sam's "Celebration Of Life" held at Chip's shop on Thursday, January 24th 2019:

Sam Foose Celebration of Life at Chip's Shop - January 24th 2019 (1).jpg
    Sam Foose Celebration of Life at Chip's Shop - January 24th 2019 (2).jpg
    Sam Foose Celebration of Life at Chip's Shop - January 24th 2019 (3).jpg
    Sam Foose Celebration of Life at Chip's Shop - January 24th 2019 (4).jpg
    Sam Foose Celebration of Life at Chip's Shop - January 24th 2019 (5).jpg
    Sam Foose Celebration of Life at Chip's Shop - January 24th 2019 (6).jpg
    Sam Foose Celebration of Life at Chip's Shop - January 24th 2019 (7).jpg
    Sam Foose Celebration of Life at Chip's Shop - January 24th 2019 (8).jpg
    Sam Foose Celebration of Life at Chip's Shop - January 24th 2019 (9).jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    catdad49, jnaki, lurker mick and 2 others like this.
  29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for sharing

HEMI32 likes this.