Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Model A Tudor build "flathead sedan"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hurley50, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Here is my newly aquired model a sedan. It was a stalled project that I took over. It is channeled 4", wheelbase is extended 5", 40 ford truck rear end, 1951 truck flathead with side shift trans, dropped front axle. This body is really solid, came with all the fenders, boxing plates, steering colum (F1), seats and other random parts. Let's see if we can make this into a hot rod. IMG_9776.jpg IMG_9777.jpg

2. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

First thing is to put the size tires I will be using so I can decide the direction I'm going. 750-16 and 550-16

IMG_9778.jpg

RMR&C, Tim, dwollam and 3 others like this.
  3. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

This is the 8BA, looks real clean inside. I had my kids bolt the transmission on, they love to help. IMG_9799.jpg IMG_9801.jpg IMG_9829.jpg

4. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Put the engine in, the reason for the extended frame was to fit this flathead in of course, but I think I'm going to shorten the frame back up and cut the firewall a little. The good thing is the frame was mostly tacked together and not really finished.
    IMG_9831.jpg

RMR&C, spurgeonforge, tierod and 3 others like this.

5. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Here is the frame, needs some attention for sure. I also picked up an S-10 T5. With the 40 ford truck rear end with 4:11 gears and a 51 truck 3 speed I think it will drive like a truck... the 5 speed should help it be fun to drive.

IMG_0280.jpg IMG_0282.jpg IMG_9873.jpg

6. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

This is where the frame was extended, I can't live with this so I cut this section out. I'm going to shorten it up a little as well. Lots of levels, measurements without a frame table... it can be done just takes a little longer to make sure everything is square...

IMG_0368.jpg IMG_0369.jpg IMG_0370.jpg

7. Nice work, Matt!! Good for you saving a stalled, misguided project!

It's in good hands now! Proper build forthcoming....

lothiandon1940 and Hurley50 like this.
  8. butch27

butch27

Looks like a great start. Nice find

Hurley50 likes this.
  9. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

The body is very solid. The blue tape is marking a 5" chop. I take it into photoshop and chop it to the actual scale (so the blue tape marks are gone) so I can see exactly what it would look like. See the 2nd picture that is photoshop chopped. I like the 5" I think. Can't wait to actually chop it.
    IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287 chop.jpg

10. Bugguts

Bugguts

Glad you saved it. Going to be a cool ride. I’m watching!

lothiandon1940 and Hurley50 like this.
  11. junkman8888

junkman8888

The frame you has been hacked on so much it's not worth saving, my advice is to replace it with a '32, for several reasons:
    (1) The added depth of the '32 frame is visually more appealing than the skimpy Model A.
    (2) The "swoop" of the front and rear frame sections automatically lowers the vehicle.
    (3) I know you intend to chop the car, if you also intend to channel it you need a frame that follows the outline of the body, that way you can install dropped floors so you sit between the frame rails, not on top of them (this will give you added headroom, super important with a serious chop).
    While I'm at it, instead of reversing the firewall (which reduces leg room), consider moving the body back on the frame then shortening the body behind the doors. You can see what this looks like on photoshop before you start cutting metal. Best of luck with your project

Hurley50 likes this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well there is always someone who pops with how to spend and extra 2500 out of your budget on the build.
    I like the idea of pulling the frame back to close to original length and moving the engine back were it should be. I've got an inkling that when we see photos of that frame in the coming weeks it won't have near as many scabs on it ether.

Hurley50 likes this.
  13. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Thanks for your opinion, my roadster has a 32 frame. I've priced one out, and this still may happen if I can't get this frame in shape. This car already has the channeled floor and body mounts welded in so I'm going to keep moving forward this way.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    spurgeonforge likes this.
  14. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Ha! Thanks!

15. brady1929

brady1929

Great project. Good luck.

hrm2k, lothiandon1940 and Hurley50 like this.
  16. Cool project and nice save. Watching this one go together.:D

Hurley50 and hrm2k like this.
  17. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an 8ba in my sedan with the fuel pump stand almost touching the firewall. I pushed my radiator out and inch or so to clear the fan and didn't have to modify firewall. Just used little plates to offset the radiator out. If you aren't running a hood you just need longer radiator support rods or you can make a longer hood.

Or just cut into firewall as you planned. Just throwing out another option.

Hurley50 likes this.
  18. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Thanks, I cut my firewall for my roadster around the bead line and that seemed to work well. I’ve also read you can modify the pulleys for and 8ba to run only one fan belt which allows you to move the fan back a little.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

5" chop with a 4" channel, yikes! That's gonna be tight in there. Will look cool though.

Hurley50 likes this.
  20. Looking good Matt! With all that space in your new shop, you'll have that thing together in no time! Cant wait to see it in person.

Hurley50 likes this.
  21. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Good thing I’m tall!

Blues4U likes this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Austin kays and Hurley50 like this.
  23. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

I put the speedway adapter on the T5. I used the shaft/fork from the 51 trans I had. One thing the kit does not come with is a place for the return spring to mount on the trans. I made a little sheet metal tab to hold the spring that bolts to the trans. Seems to work fine.

[​IMG][​IMG]

24. shortypu

shortypu

Very cool project,nice clean body.Im also building a 31 sedan that is 4''longer frame,uncut firewall,flathead and a T5.Mine is not channeled or chopped and probly will stay that way.I did the 5.50 and 7.50 combo also.Yours looks really good with that channel. IMG_0847.JPG IMG_0848.JPG

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hurley50 likes this.
  26. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

This car looks great! Thanks for sharing

27. I like your idea of the heavy Chop. Most jobs I've seen are done by Cutting just as you have the Blue Tape. When done that way it takes a lot of work to get the window channel and the Body Skin back in line. That generally means vertical cuts to get things where they belong. If I told you there's a better way would think I was Nutz?
    The Wizzard

Hurley50 likes this.
  28. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Thanks! The blue tape areas are not where I'm going to actually cut it, they are just for photoshop reference only. Once I get serious I will mark the actual cuts, I've chopped a few cars, this will be the easiest for sure. I'm all for advice if you have any though. Also thinking about leaning the A pillars back....

29. I've done a few of these Sedans over the years though it's been around 10 since I did the last one. At first glance most think they are square and strait on the vertical edge of the windows. Not true, they have tapper top to bottom. I never cut all the way through the Body skin and the inner structure. If you look at the vertical edge for the quarter window opening you'll see that it is narrower at the top than the bottom. That's what causes the metal finish problem if you cut in the center of the window opening. For me I always go to the Top of the opening, mark the bottom where the corner radius just starts. That's my top cut. Measure down from there my section to remove. I also never cut through the inner vertical channel at those points. I go clear to the Top of the A, B and C post. I remove the top horizontal bar that the top wood fastens to and just clip off the Chop amount and fasten the horizontal bar back to it. This way getting a perfect cut in the middle so everything stays vertical and in line isn't an issue at all. Now when you weld the top body metal of the window opening all you do is flush the outside of the skin and now you have a slight step at the cut line. Measure the step and make a filler the proper thickness. I've found gauge material works for light Chops and 1/16" flat for heavy Chops. That's a fine tune part of the metal finish stage. I never cut the back panel in a way it severs the hide-em or T strip between the Back panel and Quarter panel. I leave it in tact, remove the bolts and re curve it to fit the wrap of the top and clip off the free end to fit, no welding the strip at all. Same at the windshield. Don't cut the A post in the middle, cut it off just the top of the post and remove the top door hinge. If you keep it simple you have less finish work to do and it's easier to make the windows roll up and down. If you lean the A post like a Murry Body you will want to look that over real good before you start. Leaning it back might create a lift in the center of windshield frame causing a gap between the Tank and the Glass frame. I know everyone does things different, I just hope this gives you some food for thought. Any questions feel free to ask. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I actually have another 30 Sedan here to do and could go look for refresher and reference.
    The Wizzard

Nailhead Jason, Hurley50 and Tim like this.
  30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

^ that’s a good read.

I did this quick photo chop of @Austin kays sedan a while ago. I chopped it more in the front than the back to give some subtle rake. Kinda reminded me of how a 32 sedan has a little more shape to it. Figured you wouldn’t mind me posting the idea while we are talking chops. 4DB021AF-CFF0-4A7A-B01E-B5DAC6509F00.jpeg

shortypu, Nailhead Jason and Hurley50 like this.